Auto Insurance Driving Monitoring

It doesn't specifically answer the OP's question, but since I'm insured in Canada (Intact) I did participate in the OBD port monitor a few years back. I think it was 6 months IIRC.
I was on track to earn a 20% discount and then one day I got a notification that I had 7 hard braking events in one day. WTF? I'd hardly had 7 in the past 3 months! When I looked at the data online I discovered that it was when Dad took my truck to go pick up pizza. Yeah, he doesn't apply the brakes until he's almost at the corner....
Long story short, I finished out at 17% which equated to around $300/yr savings. I only had to do it the one time, but continue to enjoy the discount.

When I looked at the data online I discovered that it was when Dad took my truck to go pick up pizza. Yeah, he doesn't apply the brakes until he's almost at the corner....
If there is a particular beef I have, it is this. They ring me up with a demerit when I stop for a traffic light. IMO, it is too sensitive. I just got a 'hard braking' incident today for stopping at a red light. I am pretty safe driver in my Equinox, but I feel I get nit-picked by the app. Drivewise uses a percentage score to let you know how you are doing. Just two days ago I was at 98% (100% is highest) and now I am at 91% and shaking my head in wonder.

I like going fast waaaaay too much to put one of these things in lol. I'll just pay more.

Nooooope, though I havent any issues in a long while,, based on the things they observe or measure my rates would for sure go up

Not. A. Chance. In. Hell!

It sometimes amazes me, the stuff to which people will submit for a bit of convenience or to save a buck or two
shake.gif

Not. A. Chance. In. Hell!

It sometimes amazes me, the stuff to which people will submit for a bit of convenience or to save a buck or two
shake.gif
You do have a good point in what you say, imo, I do sacrifice some freedom putting one of these in my car. I am considering taking it out, but as one poster has said, it may become a requirement to keep excessively high rates away? One other thing you mentioned was in the comment 'buck or two', which can actually be several hundred bucks over the course of a year.

I just don't like the whole "Big Brother" aspect of it all. Technology is already too intrusive as it is, I don't need to be nannied while I'm driving my own car too.

I'd rather not... I've got my cell phone listening to me, my tv watching me, my laptop tracking me, and my car paying attention to how I drive with its black box.

It's like those grocery store customer appreciation cards... use one and receive a percentage of on purchases; all you have to do is let the store track what you buy... and now they get less of a discount since so many people use them I would imagine.

How about the insurance company give me a discount for not filing a claim in years... instead of raising my rates and dropping me then shifting my policy to another of their subsidiaries.

It's like those grocery store customer appreciation cards... use one and receive a percentage of on purchases; all you have to do is let the store track what you buy... and now they get less of a discount since so many people use them I would imagine.
Maybe a bit off my topic, and maybe worthy of a thread of it's own, how people are tracked by various methods of technology. I have patronized a particular grocery store for several years and have one of those 'discount cards' they issue, and I don't think I have ever gotten a discount, not one cent. Now I expect to get a discount from my SF Drivewise program, but I still am not sure I am going to keep it.

Wow I haven't heard anything about this. Is it a flat rate per mile or do they calculate a rate per mile based on your driving/claim history and location?
Paying per mile all depends on your rate. For example, I sold a policy with Drivewise for someone that was listed at $.05 per mile and $1.1 per day. Drivewise and Pay Per Mile programs are only for people that drive less then 8000 miles per year or have a vehicle that sits for long periods. Say you have an extra car. You put that car on pay per mile and the normal everyday vehicle at unlimited miles.

I like going fast waaaaay too much to put one of these things in lol. I'll just pay more.
Just a heads up. You can’t pay more at this point. It’s only a discount or nothing. No increase is allowed yet. At least not in PA, as other states could have different rules.

If there is a particular beef I have, it is this. They ring me up with a demerit when I stop for a traffic light. IMO, it is too sensitive. I just got a 'hard braking' incident today for stopping at a red light. I am pretty safe driver in my Equinox, but I feel I get nit-picked by the app. Drivewise uses a percentage score to let you know how you are doing. Just two days ago I was at 98% (100% is highest) and now I am at 91% and shaking my head in wonder.
Hard Braking is such bull in my opinion. The rule is a decrease in speed by 10 miles per hour over either 2 or 3 seconds.

Hard Braking doesn’t show a driver is not paying attention or more likely to get into an accident, but it is a way to lower discounts so they use it.

I work in insurance, and this sort of thing is becoming a lot more prevalent. All the insurers are looking to utilise Big Data more and more in order to do a multitude of things, whether it be calculate premiums, perform actuarial tasks etc and it's fast going to become the norm I think.

We have a programme for large commercial fleets where there is a box attached which feeds back driver performance to not only the insurer but the employer as well, and each driver is assessed a score based on braking, speed and a variety of other parameters. It them presents basically a running total, and every month the drivers scoring the highest are given prizes whether it be a bonus in their salary, experience days, vouchers - that sort of thing. Generally we're seeing a huge improvement in not only their claims experience once the bedding in has competed, but the business owners are unanimously reporting a reduction in the vehicle servicing costs and also huge reductions in their food bills.

Having said that, I hate the idea of big brother watching me drive, and have no intention of installing one myself!

Paying per mile all depends on your rate. For example, I sold a policy with Drivewise for someone that was listed at $.05 per mile and $1.1 per day. Drivewise and Pay Per Mile programs are only for people that drive less then 8000 miles per year or have a vehicle that sits for long periods. Say you have an extra car. You put that car on pay per mile and the normal everyday vehicle at unlimited miles.
Is this for just the liability or comp, coll, U, Pip, rental as well?

Absolutely no way.

Try to have one of those devices, and drive the beltway. Or really anywhere along the Baltimore, DC, NOVA corridor.

Guarantee, your rates go up. lol.

Is this for just the liability or comp, coll, U, Pip, rental as well?
The price you pay per mile would include everything. It’s a new way to pay for auto insurance that started maybe a year and a half ago. Talk to your local agent and they can help with the numbers. But, I gladly can answer people’s questions about these apps and the new pay per mile. It’s just more tracking and ways for the insurance company to make more.

Funny we are kind of a regulated business yet Allstate I think made over 2.5 BILLION last year in profit. Prices should be so much cheaper, but the insurance commissioners don’t ever hold the companies accountable.

I was wanting to get input/opinions on driving monitoring methods that insurance companies offer for their clients to receive discounts. I listed a couple programs below, and briefly some aspects of each. I would like your thoughts on :
Do you use any of these programs? Why or why not?
How they work for you?
Do you think they are well set up?
Do you save money?
Anything else you might want to add.
Thanks!!!

ALLSTATE DRIVEWISE
Drivewise tracks your driving habits via a mobile app or a small device installed in your car and then sends the data to Allstate.
The drivewise device is plugged into the vehicle's onboard diagnostic port (OBD2 port), and monitors many aspects of your driving habits: "We'll reward you just for getting started and then keep rewarding you every six months for safe speeds, safe stops, safe driving hours and low mileage."

STATE FARM DRIVESAFE
Here’s how it works
The Drive Safe & Save app2 connects with the Bluetooth beacon we’ll send you after enrollment. The beacon, which is mounted in your car collects driving data and sends it to State Farm for evaluation. Keep your Bluetooth and location services activated on your smartphone to automatically record trips. What type of driving feedback do you get?

Quick acceleration
Hard braking
Fast cornering
Speeding
Distracted driving
No thank you! I am good with Big Brother watching my driving habits.

The price you pay per mile would include everything. It’s a new way to pay for auto insurance that started maybe a year and a half ago. Talk to your local agent and they can help with the numbers. But, I gladly can answer people’s questions about these apps and the new pay per mile. It’s just more tracking and ways for the insurance company to make more.

Funny we are kind of a regulated business yet Allstate I think made over 2.5 BILLION last year in profit. Prices should be so much cheaper, but the insurance commissioners don’t ever hold the companies accountable.
That seems pretty reasonable for that quote and an interesting way of doing it. Like you said though for higher mileage drivers it wouldn't be a good thing. The other things I look at is where they are driving. A person working out in rural areas could drive twice as much but still have much less risk than someone that drives in a dense urban area, or even worse, the Sun City people driving in the HEB parking lot. That is by far the most dangerous place in Georgetown.:ROFLMAO:

I'm trying it now with USAA to see how it balances out. The phone handling/hands free calling "marks" are what bother me the most. My new truck has Apple Car Play. So when I plug in the phone and use it to make a call or have a text message read, it marks me for one of those actions. I am not sure how the algorithm ranks it compared to hard braking or hand held calling, but I want to see how much of a discount I end up with. If it's not worth it, I will delete the app and not worry about it.

I'm trying it now with USAA to see how it balances out. The phone handling/hands free calling "marks" are what bother me the most. My new truck has Apple Car Play. So when I plug in the phone and use it to make a call or have a text message read, it marks me for one of those actions. I am not sure how the algorithm ranks it compared to hard braking or hand held calling, but I want to see how much of a discount I end up with. If it's not worth it, I will delete the app and not worry about it.

curious how that turns out. I like our USAA rates!

We use Apple Car Play every time we drive for navigation, SiriusXM saved podcasts or Amazon music. Wonder if those affected along with calls?

FYI Drivewise on Allstate is not a device that plugs into your car. Its an app on your smartphone and it tracks basically everything. Like speeds, hard braking, how many times your pick up your phone etc. If the discount is good enough, I say why not.
I received a $76.50 check last month for the first quarter of 2021 using drivewise.

Not that interested. I drive a lot, generally I am sure drive too fast on the highway and I very frequently listen to podcasts on my phone while driving which aren't always downloaded to my phone. If I am in my wife's car I also stream Sirius so if phone usage impacts costs I would be out.

If I had that they would double my rates. 57000+ miles in under 2 years and a lot of them hauling boats and other trailers. I would think they would register that as rapid acceleration and hard braking?

I now for State Farm it doesn't count much and they may even be removing that factor because many people use handsfree with Bluetooth or Car Play. The other thing that we can't really account for is if it's your wife sitting next to you looking up the maps or if you give it to a young kid to play game or watch something.

The phone handling/hands free calling "marks" are what bother me the most. My new truck has Apple Car Play. So when I plug in the phone and use it to make a call or have a text message read, it marks me for one of those actions.
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. To each their own, but I cannot imagine, for the life of me, what would possess a body to have something like that in their car. And, no: To my way of thinking it's not worth two or three hundred bucks a year.

Mind you: I'm a tech geek. A tech geek from way back. I was on-line well before there ever was an Internet. I've had two-way communications on my car or person, of one sort or another, incl. phone calling, since well before cellular communications was even a thing. Home automation before the phrase "home automation" ever popped up.

But I'm growing increasingly alarmed by the degree of privacy invasion I'm seeing, and the increasing ways in which a variety of businesses, from sellers, to insurance companies, to the health "care" system, to social media are attempting to influence life. Often successfully :(

The idea of getting "off the grid" is becoming increasingly attractive.

Back