Auto Insurance Driving Monitoring

Honestly, how many people own a car and only drive 7500 miles a year? I have the SF Drive Safe and I saw some initial savings on it but not so much after the first period I had it. Part of it is probably because of mileage and rate changes due to Covid but I also think the thing dings me for things that I don't believe are accurate. It has marked me for hard braking in places and I am not hard on my brakes at all. Most cars around me brake much harder and accelerate harder out of stops than I do but I get hits on the app from it.

My hesitation hoping into a program like these are not really about tracking, but more about what happens if my insurance company receives a subpoena as a result of an accident? I understand that it is a fairly remote concern, but I am not sure I would want to open that Pandora's box. Plus, I would be much more likely to get an invitation to a NASCAR test than a discount based on the way I drive.

Honestly, how many people own a car and only drive 7500 miles a year? I have the SF Drive Safe and I saw some initial savings on it but not so much after the first period I had it. Part of it is probably because of mileage and rate changes due to Covid but I also think the thing dings me for things that I don't believe are accurate. It has marked me for hard braking in places and I am not hard on my brakes at all. Most cars around me brake much harder and accelerate harder out of stops than I do but I get hits on the app from it.
That aspect is my biggest complaint about the program, braking.

I don’t have any experience with either and I hope to keep it that way for a myriad of reasons.

Around my area we have a huge retirement community (close to 10,000 homes) and many of them have golf carts to drive around the neighborhood. They even have a small grocery/convenient store, some medical offices, and a pub right in the middle that people take golf carts. They only drive to other doctors offices and the main grocery store and that about it for many of them so we have a lot that only drive a couple thousand miles a year. These are the people that can really see a big savings. Also many of these are the people who don't have smart phones or don't want to have the discount because they don't want to use their smartphones.

Around my area we have a huge retirement community (close to 10,000 homes) and many of them have golf carts to drive around the neighborhood. They even have a small grocery/convenient store, some medical offices, and a pub right in the middle that people take golf carts. They only drive to other doctors offices and the main grocery store and that about it for many of them so we have a lot that only drive a couple thousand miles a year. These are the people that can really see a big savings. Also many of these are the people who don't have smart phones or don't want to have the discount because they don't want to use their smartphones.
As someone who pays PIP coverage for a golf cart, I would 100% have a data tracker on it, if I didn’t have to put it in all my insured vehicles.

My hesitation hoping into a program like these are not really about tracking, but more about what happens if my insurance company receives a subpoena as a result of an accident? I understand that it is a fairly remote concern, but I am not sure I would want to open that Pandora's box. Plus, I would be much more likely to get an invitation to a NASCAR test than a discount based on the way I drive.

That is what I'm talking about! I've got 8-cylinders and 12" front rotors for a reason. 🏎💨

If I used any of these, my premium would probably triple!!!!

As someone who pays PIP coverage for a golf cart, I would 100% have a data tracker on it, if I didn’t have to put it in all my insured vehicles.
Yeah I don't think it's available for golf carts and around my neighborhood it might make rates go up with how some of the guys drive theirs around here.:ROFLMAO:

With the PIP if you get hit by a golf ball and have to go to the doctor just say you were sitting in your cart haha. Supposedly we paid a PIP claim once because a guy had a ladder in the back of his truck trying to do something and fell and got hurt.

I'm probably being over-cautious, but I declined the offer from State Farm to have more monitoring of my life. My phone is also turned off as far as I know regarding my whereabouts. I've nothing to hide, but not interested in more spies following me.

Honestly, how many people own a car and only drive 7500 miles a year?

I work from home, so I drive way less than 7500 per year. I’ve put less than 1000 miles per year on two of my three cars since I went full time remote almost six years ago. The third is my wife’s car which I drive maybe another 1000 miles per year. She has been putting another ~11k on it per year, but she had a 25 mile one way commute to a job that she quit to home school our daughter during the pandemic. We’ve maybe put 7500 miles on all the cars combined this past year.

I won’t agree to be monitored any more than I already am to save a few bucks that I can easily afford though.

I have no reason to sign up anything like this and having another pair of eyes looking over my shoulder. BTW, this thing can also detect how fast you are going and what the speed limit is on that particular road, plus how many time you do it. The app can detect the same thing as the OBD2 devise.

My mileage (retired):
5198 miles through 293 = 6,475 miles after one year. A couple things to consider though, covid lockdown, and summer coming where I drive a bit more. Probably a small percentage of drivers can stay under the 7500 mile limit.

I drive a work vehicle, so my personal stays in the garage 90% of the time. I just signed up hoping that it will lead to a discount. I feel like I pay too much for a car that rarely leaves the house.

Since I like to speed, corner fast, brake hard, and stomp on my accelerator, this would be not an option.

I can answer a few of these questions for anyone that is not sure.

I own an Allstate agency and an Independent agency representing many of the other companies (Travelers, Liberty Mutual, Nationwide, Safeco, Farmers, etc) You would be surprised how many companies are just part of parent companies. Like Allstate also owns National General, Encompass, American Financial, and others. The same goes for Liberty Mutual and Farmers

Allstate did have both the plug-in to your dashboard and the app for those with smartphones. We have discontinued the plug-in and will be requiring everyone to move to the app version to continue getting a discount over the next renewal.

We track everything, but the "discount" is primarily based on Mileage, Hard Braking, Traveling over speeds of 80 miles an hour, and time of day driving. The biggest and most important factor is the mileage. If you travel more miles the other discounts will be less. The average customer will be in the 5-8% range.

For all of the other companies, especially Travelers, they want you to download the app to track your driving habits. Again mileage is going to be the biggest factor.

Insurance is going to start seeing some major changes over the next few years in the fact if you do not allow tracking your rates will become much higher. They all claim not to sell your information, but I find that impossible to believe.

Funny as I was typing this I got an email from corporate Nationwide for me to push SmartRide (Their safe driving app) and how customers with SmartRide will be better customers and I will sell more and retain my customers longer. The wave of the future LOL

The new thing that will be everywhere is milewise or pay per mile.

Allstate has the milewise and other companies are calling it different pay per mile.

This is where you give the company your credit card and pay upfront for a set amount of miles. Then as you use the miles the card will be auto charged to bring you back to the set number of miles available again. Think ezy pass for those that use this. Pay per mile is good for some and very bad for others, but either way, the insurance companies have found that if they auto charge you for miles upfront you are more likely to stay with them.

Last edited:

I own an Allstate agency and an Independent agency representing many of the other companies (Travelers, Liberty Mutual, Nationwide, Safeco, Farmers, etc) You would be surprised how many companies are just part of parent companies. Like Allstate also owns National General, Encompass, American Financial, and others. The same goes for Liberty Mutual and Farmers

Allstate did have both the plug-in to your dashboard and the app for those with smartphones. We have discontinued the plug-in and will be requiring everyone to move to the app version to continue getting a discount over the next renewal.

We track everything, but the "discount" is primarily based on Mileage, Hard Braking, Traveling over speeds of 80 miles an hour, and time of day driving. The biggest and most important factor is the mileage. If you travel more miles the other discounts will be less. The average customer will be in the 5-8% range.

For all of the other companies, especially Travelers, they want you to download the app to track your driving habits. Again mileage is going to be the biggest factor.

Insurance is going to start seeing some major changes over the next few years in the fact if you do not allow tracking your rates will become much higher. They all claim not to sell your information, but I find that impossible to believe.

Funny as I was typing this I got an email from corporate Nationwide for me to push SmartRide (Their safe driving app) and how customers with SmartRide will be better customers and I will sell more and retain my customers longer. The wave of the future LOL

Allstate has the milewise and other companies are calling it different pay per mile.

This is where you give the company your credit card and pay upfront for a set amount of miles. Then as you use the miles the card will be auto charged to bring you back to the set number of miles available again. Think ezy pass for those that use this. Pay per mile is good for some and very bad for others, but either way, the insurance companies have found that if they auto charge you for miles upfront you are more likely to stay with them.
Thanks for the good info!!! The set amount of miles idea seems similar to buying more miles when you run out of 'lease miles'.

Is there any way for the app to distinguish whether I am in an Uber, or driving a friend's car, or just simply not turning the app on but am actually driving my vehicle?

Wow I haven't heard anything about this. Is it a flat rate per mile or do they calculate a rate per mile based on your driving/claim history and location?

Is there any way for the app to distinguish whether I am in an Uber, or driving a friend's car, or just simply not turning the app on but am actually driving my vehicle?
I know for State Farm it pairs with the beacon that you leave in the car. If you don't have your bluetooth turned on then it won't know you drove just like it you left your phone at home. It only knows your driving when the pair together.

It does not. They say you are supposed to turn off the app when not driving, which doesn't happen many times. You can delete a certain amount of trips from your record and/or call tech to do the same for certain reasons.

The app will usually pick up if you and your wife on traveling at the same speeds and going to same direction, so that does help.

It does not. They say you are supposed to turn off the app when not driving, which doesn't happen many times. You can delete a certain amount of trips from your record and/or call tech to do the same for certain reasons.

The app will usually pick up if you and your wife on traveling at the same speeds and going to same direction, so that does help.
Now riding in a car becomes a chore can’t wait!

Since I like to speed, corner fast, brake hard, and stomp on my accelerator, this would not be an option.

We are sharing a brain on this. I've had one at-fault accident in my last 1,000,000 miles driven, and that was when I drove a company car, and my employer paid my insurance, so as far as USAA is concerned, my wife and I have never had a claim other than a windshield in our 26 years of marriage insured with them. Somehow our two children who have been driving on our insurance for 7 and 5 years have never had an accident either. If they knew my driving habits, they'd cancel me tomorrow. :)

Back