Auto Racing Thread

tpluff

I <3 GAWLF
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
This thread can serve as a place for auto racing fans, enthusiasts and participants to post anything relevant. Anything from Indy to local dirt track to Nascar to drag racing, post it here!

The holy grail of automobile racing day is here with Monaco, the Indy 500, and the Coke 600 all happening in one day. Awesome!

If there is already an all encompassing thread, please merge. Nascar thread never really gained traction so I thought a general thread would suffice.

I'm not so sure about this new Indy car, pretty boring race so far. The only passes for the lead seem to be when the leader pits or on a restart.

The previous package created some of the most exciting races Indy has every seen, I hope they haven't made a long lasting mistake.

Not the most exciting race, but pretty cool to see Will Power win it. He and his wife were about as excited as it gets.

It was hilarious watching her pace back and forth chewing on a plastic bottle in the final laps, and then down on the ground as he crossed the finish, then say "I had a peace about me"

Damn! I forgot it was the Indy 500 today. Monaco this morning was shite!

#FiberLaunch

Damn! I forgot it was the Indy 500 today. Monaco this morning was shite!

#FiberLaunch
I watched the first 60 or so laps of the replay, did a pass ever happen?

I love F1 for the amazing feat that the cars are, but the racing tends to be pretty boring.

I watched the first 60 or so laps of the replay, did a pass ever happen?

I love F1 for the amazing feat that the cars are, but the racing tends to be pretty boring.

Monaco is always a snooze fest racing wise. It’s cool to see the skill involved racing those streets, but it’s usually a procession. I agree, F1 at the minute isn’t the most exciting form of racing. I keep hearing if big changes in a couple of years that’ll cut down on the surety air and improve overtaking. We’ll see if that happens.

#FiberLaunch

Monaco is always a snooze fest racing wise. It’s cool to see the skill involved racing those streets, but it’s usually a procession. I agree, F1 at the minute isn’t the most exciting form of racing. I keep hearing if big changes in a couple of years that’ll cut down on the surety air and improve overtaking. We’ll see if that happens.

#FiberLaunch
Yeah I always love watching a few laps of it, I've raced it a bunch on video games and it is insane how tough it is. Watching them do it flawlessly lap after lap is insane.

I feel the most entertaining and exciting racing is 360 ci or 410 ci non wing sprint cars on 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 mile dirt tracks. My 1st race was 1948 at Carroll Speedway in SoCal. Later it was closed and Ascot was built and that was the center of midget & sprint car racing till it closed in 1992. Late 90's Perris Auto Speedway was opened in Riverside and continues to provide great 1/2 mile dirt track racing.

Huge open wheel guy. IMS is for me what the Vatican is to a hard core Catholic. I'll never forget bump day when Penske failed to qualify and I loved it. Raced gokarts for a few years at a track owned by a former indycar driver. It is where Josef Newgarden and Conner Daly got started. Scott Goodyear's son was racing there at the time as well. Saw many indy guys there. Talked to Ed Carpenter one day. It is so cool how down to earth those guys are when they are just racing to race with no pressure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Was at the Indy 500 this weekend. It is always amazing how fast and loud the cars are when you get that close. Was a weird race this year with lots of small crashes due to the temps being so high. I still enjoyed the infield and the coolers full of beer though.

Monaco is always a pretty boring race due to the set up of the track, it just doesn't lend itself to much passing.

This F1 season has been pretty great though as Ferrari and Red Bull are really challenging Mercedes this year. Last year Ferrari pushed Mercedes, but it's nice to have 3 teams doing it this year. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season goes.

Drag racing was my whole life for a while.

Drag racing was my whole life for a while.

cutlass1.jpg

7-14-06FRI%20104.jpg

I still own these two.

Picture 220.jpg

This was a blast to drive but was sold. Nitrous oxide is the most fun you can have with your trousers on.

fireburnout.jpg

I drove this once. Once was enough.

DSB_1320.JPG

I worked on this car for several years all over the US and Canada. That's me on the left side behind the header flame.

109546753_HLR3ttvb_a59.jpg

Me doing Top Fuel stuff. That smile did not leave my face the whole time.

Very cool BadOlds. I run Top Dragster in NHRA Div 6. I blew the engine last year and decided to take the rest of the year off and will probably take this year off as well. We just bought a new house so lots of stuff to do. My engine is setting at Sunset Performance in TX, all aluminum 632 making 1300 hp on motor.

Watched all 3 races last Sunday. I'm mostly a NASCAR guy, but have been getting more into F1 lately, and Indy is fun to watch on occasion.

Love to see this thread pop back up. I have been around auto racing my whole life and other than golf its my biggest passion.

IndyCar at Texas tonight. Watched practice yesterday evening. Looks like possible tire issues. I don't think outright pace is going to matter a whole lot. Looks like it's going to be who can manage their tire wear the best and who can get their car to run in the higher grooves. Looked like the Andretti Autosport cars had the best tire wear. I'm being on RHR.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just like last night's practice, serious tire wear for team Penske so far.

Well a great run by an IndyCar legend last night. Looked super strong in the last couple of stints. Hats off to Simon Pagenaud as well dealing with the Penske tire wear. Rossi could have maybe caught Dixon if he could have gotten around Simon I think though.

Was at the Indy 500 this weekend. It is always amazing how fast and loud the cars are when you get that close. Was a weird race this year with lots of small crashes due to the temps being so high. I still enjoyed the infield and the coolers full of beer though.

our first Indy 500 this year. the wife scored 4 tickets in a silent auction at work sponsored by Clabber Girl. We had use of their hospitality tent and had front row seats on turn 1. very cool for us. it was blisterin hot but we lathered up with SPF55 and drank a lot of water and had a great time.

I am a drag racer now but I love road racing. I've been to the 24 hours of Daytona twice and 24 hours of Le mans in 1989. I was in the military stationed in Germany and my 1st Sgt was a road racing fan so him and I put together a trip and 8 of us went to Le mans. I can't even begin to describe how freaking cool being in Le mans for the 24 hour was.

Anybody else tuned into the last hour and a half of LeMans?

Glad to see Alonso win even if the competition was lacking.I think he is off to Indy car next year to try for his Triple crown.

Glad to see Alonso win even if the competition was lacking.I think he is off to Indy car next year to try for his Triple crown.

Couldn’t agree more wish there would have been more competition but doesn’t change the fact that he won. Nice to see that Porsche win in the GTE pro category.

Great day for Alonso - 2 crowns won 1 to go...... As an F1 fan i am sad to agree that this maybe his last season in F1. The Mclaren is so poor (& I am a fan) and i don't see it improving next year enough to encourage him to stay. He has been unlucky with some of the decisions he has made and what point he has joined teams during his F1 career, without doubt he would have won far more world championships had he been in the right car at the right time. He should be remembered as one of the greatest of all time - if he wins the triple crown this will be guarenteed.:blob:

I hope he comes to IndyCar. I like F-1 for what it is, but it isn't for racing, it's for car building. No talent level could make the McLaren competitive. I think he would like IndyCar and enjoy the challenge of learning new tracks and running on ovals.
Great day for Alonso - 2 crowns won 1 to go...... As an F1 fan i am sad to agree that this maybe his last season in F1. The Mclaren is so poor (& I am a fan) and i don't see it improving next year enough to encourage him to stay. He has been unlucky with some of the decisions he has made and what point he has joined teams during his F1 career, without doubt he would have won far more world championships had he been in the right car at the right time. He should be remembered as one of the greatest of all time - if he wins the triple crown this will be guarenteed.:blob:

Back