Auto Racing Thread

Finally checking out this thread. I’ve never been much into racing, just not really my thing. Grew up going to a lot of flat track dirt motorcycle races as our town had a weekly race in the summer and it was something different to do. I’ve always thought F1 was pretty impressive, but never got really into it. But I did make sure to walk the Monaco course when visiting 15 years ago. So perhaps an ultra passive, know nothing fan.

A few months back I watched the Netflix series and it set the hooks pretty deep. Been getting up early to watch the last few races and really enjoying it (although I thought the penalties in the last race were ridiculous, especially Lando’s). Love rooting for underdogs and really like to see McLaren doing well lately. Can’t help but root for Verstappen to dethrone Hamilton and the Mercedes juggernaut, even though Hamilton seems like a really good guy and fantastic driver. Still quite perplexed at the Haas and Williams teams just limping along perpetually (albeit rather quickly), just don’t see how that’s sustainable.

Anyhow, looking forward to following the rest of the year and talking some F1 with you gents.

Finally checking out this thread. I’ve never been much into racing, just not really my thing. Grew up going to a lot of flat track dirt motorcycle races as our town had a weekly race in the summer and it was something different to do. I’ve always thought F1 was pretty impressive, but never got really into it. But I did make sure to walk the Monaco course when visiting 15 years ago. So perhaps an ultra passive, know nothing fan.

A few months back I watched the Netflix series and it set the hooks pretty deep. Been getting up early to watch the last few races and really enjoying it (although I thought the penalties in the last race were ridiculous, especially Lando’s). Love rooting for underdogs and really like to see McLaren doing well lately. Can’t help but root for Verstappen to dethrone Hamilton and the Mercedes juggernaut, even though Hamilton seems like a really good guy and fantastic driver. Still quite perplexed at the Haas and Williams teams just limping along perpetually (albeit rather quickly), just don’t see how that’s sustainable.

Anyhow, looking forward to following the rest of the year and talking some F1 with you gents.

As you said your fairly new to the sport, as a bit of background about 2 teams you mentioned.
McLaren, the under dogs, which I guess they are sort of, are the 3rd most successful team in F1. They stopped being competitive around the same time as they started producing road cars. Coincidence? Who knows.
Williams. Well, they just happen to be the 2nd most successful team on the grid. Utterly dominant through periods of the 80’s and 90’s, much like Mercedes now. The 2 best moments in F1 for me, Mansell winning in 92, Damon Hill who is my favourite driver winning in 94, both in a Williams. What killed them is manufacturer money. Car manufacturers started buying teams and parts of teams. Williams stayed independent, ran and owned by the Williams family, more specifically, Sir Frank. They’ve had some hard times, but they will stick around (Haas, maybe not).
Ferrari are number 1.
Lando is the real day and McLaren are finally getting their act together. With new rules coming as well, should be some exciting seasons ahead. There’s a lot of young talent on that grid.

I would like F1 to change the DRS rule to say: you can use DRS 3 times per race, wherever you want. Yes, I know there will be carnage. I'm OK with that.

I would like F1 to change the DRS rule to say: you can use DRS 3 times per race, wherever you want. Yes, I know there will be carnage. I'm OK with that.
I think it would be much more boring, DRS is about the only way equally matched cars can race somewhat close with the current cars.

I think it would be much more boring, DRS is about the only way equally matched cars can race somewhat close with the current cars.
How so? With a DRS used when you wanted it wherever on the track, it would make for some outrageous passing.

How so? With a DRS used when you wanted it wherever on the track, it would make for some outrageous passing.
it really only increases top speed in a straight line. it wouldn't be effective anywhere else.

also, without the drs every lap, the aerodynamics hinder the following car in the straights so they would never catch the car in front anyways.

it really only increases top speed in a straight line. it wouldn't be effective anywhere else.

also, without the drs every lap, the aerodynamics hinder the following car in the straights so they would never catch the car in front anyways.
Bah. Aerodynamics is pure voodoo, I tells ya!

The only answer is spiked hubcaps like in Ben-Hur. (the original, not the crap remake.)

Every time F1 has changed the rules in a big way it makes the racing worse, not better. One team will have cooked up the magic formula and the others will need 5 years to catch up, and then once they do the rules change again.

Ultimately, I wish F1 would go back to its roots. Small cars with high revving V10s/V12s, and let the teams figure out the downforce.

New F1 car looks pretty sweet. Interesting that it’s designed around the principal goal of closer and better racing. I can’t say that’s a bad thing and if it takes better aerodynamics, then let’s do it. Hopefully the teams will still have enough leeway to make the cars unique.

New F1 car looks pretty sweet. Interesting that it’s designed around the principal goal of closer and better racing. I can’t say that’s a bad thing and if it takes better aerodynamics, then let’s do it. Hopefully the teams will still have enough leeway to make the cars unique.

Still too large, and needs to chop another element or two off the front wing IMO

Will be interesting to see if the changes actually do what is intended. Feel like it's change for sake of change a lot of times but we'll see

It was neat hearing the roar of the crowds there. The spirit around F1 is definitely strong in the UK.

Is Silverstone a good track? I will be watching but trying to dive deeper into F1

Is Silverstone a good track? I will be watching but trying to dive deeper into F1
It's one of the grand daddies of racing. It has gone through a few iterations over the last decades but is considered to be one of the classics and always has the fans to support it considering the majority of the F1 teams are based a (relatively) short drive away.

what a qualifying session by russell.

Now if he can just get some race day luck! Kid has been putting up good showings and needs a break or two!

The Drive to Survive series on Netflix is a good way to learn about the teams and drivers if you're just getting in to it

The Drive to Survive series on Netflix is a good way to learn about the teams and drivers if you're just getting in to it
That’s where I got my first taste of it. I have been watching the races live or DVRd this season for the first time.

Jury’s out for me with the sprint race. Not sure what it really brings to the weekend. Good for the spectators though, as the 3 day tickets tend to be much better value than the single day tickets.

Jury’s out for me with the sprint race. Not sure what it really brings to the weekend. Good for the spectators though, as the 3 day tickets tend to be much better value than the single day tickets.
I think that's the biggest thing. Watching 3 practice sessions can be a bit tedious, especially in person. I really really like the early qualifying on Friday with less practice a whole lot. The sprint race is ok, better than practice. I might make it waaay shorter. Like 3-4 laps total, would keep the field close and might lead to some more risky racing.

Last edited:
I think that's the biggest thing. Watching 3 practice sessions can be a bit tedious, especially 8n person. I really really like the early qualifying on Friday with less practice a whole lot. The sprint race is ok, better than practice. I might make it waaay shorter. Like 3-4 laps total, would keep the field close and might lead to some more risky racing.
I think if the new changes do their job (which to be honest, I’m highly sceptical as I don’t remember the last time a rule change actually improved the sport), then that sprint race will be a worthwhile watch.

Sprint race was fun. Top end was pretty straight forward but the midfield was mixing it up pretty well. Definitely better than another practice session for us viewers

Sprint race was right, but im not sold. Perez is an example of how wrong it can go.

Back