Auto Racing Thread

That has got to be my least favorite part of F1. As a new fan, this type stuff just ruins it for me. How was Ocon able to come up with a full liter when his car was dead on the track? To take a great race away from Seb is shameful. And what is F1 doing with the fuel that they can’t do with .4 liters vs a full liter? (I do recognize that that’s just the rule, as dumb as it might be).
I’m a newcomer to F1 as well, and it took me a couple of races to figure out that there’s no refueling during a pit stop! lol It is rather strange that one car was able to provide a liter of fuel while the other couldn't, yet both sat dead on the track!

Valentino Rossi today has announced his retirement. To be honest, it should have been last year. However, an absolute MotoGP legend!!! Not just a genius on 2 wheels either……..
2B8D178F-93A5-43B6-A320-C93B978C67C9.jpeg

That has got to be my least favorite part of F1. As a new fan, this type stuff just ruins it for me. How was Ocon able to come up with a full liter when his car was dead on the track? To take a great race away from Seb is shameful. And what is F1 doing with the fuel that they can’t do with .4 liters vs a full liter? (I do recognize that that’s just the rule, as dumb as it might be).

I completely agree. I'm about six races into my F1 fandom (plus the three Netflix seasons), and some of the rules and their associated penalties seem really out of whack.

However, that was the best race I've seen (again...I haven't seen many). It showed how much fun it can be when neither of the superpowers is up front all day. The fact that it ended in a poor result for Verstappen is just icing on the cake for me. I'm not a Hamilton fan either (I don't dislike him, but I'm not the kind of guy to jump on the bandwagon of the dominant driver/team), but watching him climb his way up the ladder throughout the race was entertaining.

Anyone watch NASCAR? 👀

Anyone watch NASCAR? 👀
Generally no. Although I went to the race at Laguna a couple of years back and thought it was great. Reminded me of 90’s F1. Plenty of overtaking. What puts me off is oval racing which is a complete and utter waste of time IMO.

Anyone watch NASCAR? 👀
I do, part of my job, haha.

What are your thoughts about the current playoff standings and heading into Daytona?

Can someone who watches NASCAR regularly explain why they switched to the phased race rather than all at once? I caught the race at Watkins Glen and had no idea what was going on.

Can someone who watches NASCAR regularly explain why they switched to the phased race rather than all at once? I caught the race at Watkins Glen and had no idea what was going on.

Long story short, it boiled down to NASCAR trying to drive interest throughout an event.

There was thought that fan interest was waning due to races becoming stale through the middle section while drivers were “points” racing and ensuring that they were around at the end.

The philosophy is that by breaking the race into segments and awarding stage points, it created additional moments in the race that became more valuable for teams to race for position.

Long story short, it boiled down to NASCAR trying to drive interest throughout an event.

There was thought that fan interest was waning due to races becoming stale through the middle section while drivers were “points” racing and ensuring that they were around at the end.

The philosophy is that by breaking the race into segments and awarding stage points, it created additional moments in the race that became more valuable for teams to race for position.
Interesting, I can understand that. Even in a 70 lap F1 race I generally nap from Laps 10-60.

I do, part of my job, haha.

What are your thoughts about the current playoff standings and heading into Daytona?

What do you do?

It is pretty crazy having this many first time winners across a single season. Austin Dillon ran really well at Michigan but pushed it a tad too hard -- he had a shot at advancing into the playoffs but will now have to win at Daytona to have a shot. I'm a Hendrick/Chase Elliott fan although Kyle Larson has been the best all season. Similar to Martin Truex Jr's domination when he was with Furniture Row and won the Championship.

It breaks the races up and provides points to drivers who run well throughout the duration of the race. For overall racing, it is a good thing. Many of the old timers are not fans, but if you're open minded, it's good for the sport. With the old format, you can lead 298 of 300 laps and if you get turned on 299, you are credited with a DNF. This way it allows for more competitive racing throughout the race, especially in the closing laps of each stage.

I have been watching for a while and have been to several races before and after stage racing being a thing and I will say that stage racing has dramatically increased the quality.

What do you do?

It is pretty crazy having this many first time winners across a single season. Austin Dillon ran really well at Michigan but pushed it a tad too hard -- he had a shot at advancing into the playoffs but will now have to win at Daytona to have a shot. I'm a Hendrick/Chase Elliott fan although Kyle Larson has been the best all season. Similar to Martin Truex Jr's domination when he was with Furniture Row and won the Championship.

I work in marketing for motorsports. Sorry I'm not more specific, I try to keep somewhat of a smaller online profile.

Daytona is going to be wild. Lot's of guys that are on the cusp of that 16th spot. Surprising that RCR doesn't have someone in the playoffs in my opinion but that could change this weekend. It's going to be an interesting playoff. Lots of guys are fast in the last year of the current gen cup car. I think next year with the next-gen car is really going to change perceptions of who is fast and who isn't.

I work in marketing for motorsports. Sorry I'm not more specific, I try to keep somewhat of a smaller online profile.

Daytona is going to be wild. Lot's of guys that are on the cusp of that 16th spot. Surprising that RCR doesn't have someone in the playoffs in my opinion but that could change this weekend. It's going to be an interesting playoff. Lots of guys are fast in the last year of the current gen cup car. I think next year with the next-gen car is really going to change perceptions of who is fast and who isn't.

Totally understood. Good on you because many have a digital footprint that leads right to their front door - often not in a positive manner. Haha.

Very much looking forward to Daytona. With the drivers less than enthused about the safety of superspeedway racing in recent years, I wonder if the Next Gen Car will help with that or not. The Next Gen Car looks beautiful but my goodness does it sound terrible. I do, however, think that some of the lesser funded teams will have a better shot at winning and that it will bring a lot of new fans and owners into the sport. A couple years ago, folks were not happy that most of the owners were 60+. Now you are seeing guys like Justin Marks, Matt Kaulig and even Brad K and Denny Hamlin making their mark. I believe it's fantastic for the long term health of the sport.

Totally understood. Good on you because many have a digital footprint that leads right to their front door - often not in a positive manner. Haha.

Very much looking forward to Daytona. With the drivers less than enthused about the safety of superspeedway racing in recent years, I wonder if the Next Gen Car will help with that or not. The Next Gen Car looks beautiful but my goodness does it sound terrible. I do, however, think that some of the lesser funded teams will have a better shot at winning and that it will bring a lot of new fans and owners into the sport. A couple years ago, folks were not happy that most of the owners were 60+. Now you are seeing guys like Justin Marks, Matt Kaulig and even Brad K and Denny Hamlin making their mark. I believe it's fantastic for the long term health of the sport.

Thank you!

With the design changes of the next gen car it's going to really change how the drivers operate on the ovals. It'll make drafting a little more difficult and how the cars react to slipstreams interesting. I think there's going to be a ton of testing in the off season as well as the beginning of the year real interesting. I think you'll find some of the teams that don't usually finish close to the top finding results that might surprise the masses. We'll see, but I think it's going to level the playing field a bit, at least at first. I'm excited for next season. And agreed that it's going to be good for the sport with all these new teams coming into the fold and they're definitely hoping to make their mark.

Just saw on twitter this morning that Indycar writer Robin Miller has died.I always looked forward to his articles,mailbag, etc on Racer.com and his past network coverage on NBC .He seemed to tell it like it was, and didn't believe in being PC with the racing news.

Anyone else watching the delayed start of the F1 race?

Looks super wet and super dangerous

I think if they could get started, the cars would move enough water to make it drive-able, but with the rain still coming down they obviously can't keep up right now. Hopefully it stops raining soon so we can get started

I have the F1 race on in the background. Wet weather is just such a pain for everyone, including mechanics.

I have the F1 race on in the background. Wet weather is just such a pain for everyone, including mechanics.

Looks like they are lining up again to try and start. Will be interested to see who goes flat out through Eau Rouge first today ☠️☠️☠️☠️

And that was quickly over.

Max May get a freebie today

Looks like they are lining up again to try and start. Will be interested to see who goes flat out through Eau Rouge first today ☠☠☠☠
Started to stop. After 2 hours of listening about whether the race actually started, here we are again. I love racing, but F1 is sometimes tough to watch.

Started to stop. After 2 hours of listening about whether the race actually started, here we are again. I love racing, but F1 is sometimes tough to watch.

100%.

Might go to the Miami race next year anyway. My stepdad seems to be all in so it will be hard not to tag along on that trip.

May be a big day for Russell with his first podium

100%.

Might go to the Miami race next year anyway. My stepdad seems to be all in so it will be hard not to tag along on that trip.

May be a big day for Russell with his first podium
If you do, reach out to me. I am 50/50 if I am going, may wait to see if I get an opportunity. But we can meet up, maybe hit the kart track so you can get some laps in.

Back