Auto Racing Thread

F1 has left me behind. very boring races, hybrid engines. Mercedes for years.............snoozer. now back in the day pre diffuser days, i am all in. Senna, Prost, Schumacher. Irivne.
The Schumacher years were the worst for F1. Eddie Irvine talked a good game, but was never actually allowed to race against Schumacher, same as Barrichello. I’m no Hamilton fan, but at least he has beaten his (decent) team mates fair and square on the track.
I do agree F1 isn’t the most exciting sport at the moment. I’m hoping the big changes in 2021 actually do what they are supposed to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve kind of just started getting into it the last few years so the Hamilton dominance hasn’t worn on me as much as others. I decided to go with Leclerc as my guy when he came to Sauber in 2018 and was happy to see him jump to Ferrari and do quite well last year. I think he and Max will give Lewis all he can handle in 2020 and then who knows what happens in 2021 with the changes. Also follow Haas as a good American but they were a huge disappointment last year. Really enjoyed the Netflix series and I’m looking forward to it’s return next month.

I’ve kind of just started getting into it the last few years so the Hamilton dominance hasn’t worn on me as much as others. I decided to go with Leclerc as my guy when he came to Sauber in 2018 and was happy to see him jump to Ferrari and do quite well last year. I think he and Max will give Lewis all he can handle in 2020 and then who knows what happens in 2021 with the changes. Also follow Haas as a good American but they were a huge disappointment last year. Really enjoyed the Netflix series and I’m looking forward to it’s return next month.

It isn’t as much Hamilton as it has been Mercedes dominance. 2018 was amazing, this year was terrible the first half of the season with Mercedes going 1-2 essentially every week.

I will say the German Grand Prix was one of the greatest races of all time this year

It isn’t as much Hamilton as it has been Mercedes dominance. 2018 was amazing, this year was terrible the first half of the season with Mercedes going 1-2 essentially every week.

I will say the German Grand Prix was one of the greatest races of all time this year
That one was nuts. I think everyone was off track at some point and with the drag strip right off the last turn once they hit that they were done for. I think I saw a few days ago where it was voted best race of the decade. I missed most of them, but it's pretty easy to say why it was voted the best.

I really enjoy F1. You just need to learn which tracks suck and which tracks don't. Hint: if it's a street circuit not named Monaco...it sucks.
It would be better if Mercedes actually put a driver in their 2nd seat who could challenge Hamilton, or if Ferrari could strategize their way out of a wet paper bag. But overall I've been enjoying Verstappen and Leclerc trying to take down Hamiltin each other.

I really enjoy F1. You just need to learn which tracks suck and which tracks don't. Hint: if it's a street circuit not named Monaco...it sucks.
It would be better if Mercedes actually put a driver in their 2nd seat who could challenge Hamilton, or if Ferrari could strategize their way out of a wet paper bag. But overall I've been enjoying Verstappen and Leclerc trying to take down Hamiltin each other.
This year has the potential to be really fun. I think one of them has a real shot of taking down the King. At least I hope so.

For the Ford vs Ferrari watcher....Go watch The 24 Hour War....It's the real story, real people...

I decided to go with Leclerc as my guy when he came to Sauber in 2018 and was happy to see him jump to Ferrari and do quite well last year.

LeClerc will be the next multi world champion. He’s the real deal.

LeClerc will be the next multi world champion. He’s the real deal.

Hoping. I just started really following along about mid 2018 and wanted a young dude to watch for several years instead of jumping on a bandwagon. He looked like he had the potential to be a future stud. So far so good (y)

Hoping. I just started really following along about mid 2018 and wanted a young dude to watch for several years instead of jumping on a bandwagon. He looked like he had the potential to be a future stud. So far so good (y)

1f9f79318db4308d5922826d9983c137.jpg

Monaco is the worst race of the year and don't tell me any different. Maybe 50 years ago when the cars were narrower and had no down force yeah. but now its overblown go carts that can't pass ever. looks neat on tv with the cars shooting through the armco but to be honest its just boring. those cars have outgrown the circuit.

Monaco is the worst race of the year and don't tell me any different. Maybe 50 years ago when the cars were narrower and had no down force yeah. but now its overblown go carts that can't pass ever. looks neat on tv with the cars shooting through the armco but to be honest its just boring. those cars have outgrown the circuit.

Saturday > Sunday a lot of the time and definitely in monaco.

I try to hit every airstrip drag event out here...been wanting to see an F1 event.

Anyone watch the Rolex 24 this past weekend? It was amazing weather and a surprisingly clean race. I was rather surprised by the Acura Team Penske cars not performing this year and at the speed that the BMW M8 had.

No, but i just got home from watching the Lucas Oil Super Late Models at East Bay Raceway Park. They were fantastic!!! My brother works Sebring with his food stand and is parked right along the track and couldn't even be bothered to step outside and watch. Crazy right?

you shoulda seen burke airport in cleveland back in the day. Cart used it as a road course, basically connected 2 runways and it was fast.
I miss CART, when cars were cars and drivers were drivers

I miss CART, when cars were cars and drivers were drivers

Good stuff there. I used to watch a lot in the mid/late 90s. I was just starting to drive at that time and loved CART. They used to come to the Honda plant in town during Mid-Ohio week and run around the test track for show and do meet and greets. Got to meet all the Honda guys several times. I haven't watched a CART race outside of Indy in forever. Just lost interest in it as they went to IRL and split leagues.

Anyone excited about the Daytona 500 this weekend? I'm on site if anyone wants to see anything, I can see what I can do.

cart... i used to go to Nazereth every year. It was great. Penske's and Andretti's backyard. The best part was attendance was low and you could get pit/paddock passes and be right up on the pitwall with the track being "hot". Access to drivers, team members...it was fantastic. It felt really special.

19 years ago today we lost Dale Earnhardt
And came close to losing Ryan Newman yesterday.
Like Dale’s wreck, I have seen many that looked worse. This one the hit while he was upside down on his side was absolutely the worst place for impact. Thank goodness they moved the seat over a few years ago more towards the center.
Dale didn’t die in vane. His incident has saved many a life with the safety changes since then.

Like Dale’s wreck, I have seen many that looked worse. This one the hit while he was upside down on his side was absolutely the worst place for impact. Thank goodness they moved the seat over a few years ago more towards the center.
Dale didn’t die in vane. His incident has saved many a life with the safety changes since then.
Thank goodness we didn't lose him.

It's amazing how far safety has come since the loss of Dale Earnhardt, and really came into the forefront since his passing. Definitely was a scary wreck.

I don't watch much racing. The very first one I watched was Dale's wreck and death. I left the house thinking it wasn't a big deal to go to dinner then saw on the news that he passed. Yesterday I heard the news about Newman, at first I was confused about what day it was of course and then had to watch. It was a crazy wreck and I agree that the hit on the drivers side is probably the worst of it. News today that he is speaking but not getting any actual updates about injuries is concerning.

Sainz to Ferrari
Ricciardo to McLaren

Back