well understand autoflex is not a 48 inch driver. one thing, 48 inch driver has shown less accurate. autoflex seems to help everything. ?

another channel has said time and again this shaft needs a good, attentive fit. it’s not plug and play.

another channel has said time and again this shaft needs a good, attentive fit. it’s not plug and play.

Also based on feedback from others in this thread, it tends to promote a more controlled swing. Someone who is aggressive it probably wouldn't work well. From the one good swing I made with it, I found the same thing letting the club do all the work it went great. When I did me... not so much.

Really intriguing about what I have read on this shaft. I can’t see paying that kind of money even if it did give an extra 20 yards, but it does sound cool.

Yes, i think it is illegal because its too good. ive seen what it can do in person, and its such a big improvement that it makes me think why didnt somoene already come up with this.
If you gave this to Bryson he'd probably hit 400 yards every time and hit more fairways.

Yes, i think it is illegal because its too good. ive seen what it can do in person, and its such a big improvement that it makes me think why didnt somoene already come up with this.
If you gave this to Bryson he'd probably hit 400 yards every time and hit more fairways.
If Bryson swung this it'd probably wrap around his head and take his ear off.

If Bryson swung this it'd probably wrap around his head and take his ear off.
Well i dont think that, first off, i think that it is shown as a very whippy shaft, but i think that is only the regular flex, and stiff flex.... the extra stiff i do not believe is whippy.
i would just like to know if it is real or not. will people use it? i want to see a pga tour pro like rickie fowler give his opinion on it

Last edited:
Well i dont think that, first off, i think that it is shown as a very whippy shaft, but i think that is only the regular flex, and stiff flex.... the extra stiff i do not believe is whippy.
i would just like to know if it is real or not. will people use it? i want to see a pga tour pro like rickie fowler give his opinion on it
I believe Matt on TXG was using the 505X or XX and still said it was very whippy. As others have said, aggressive loaders wouldn't enjoy it much. I think it'd have more luck on the women's or champions tour, if it ever makes it mainstream. Considering the price tag, that's not likely anytime soon.

I believe Matt on TXG was using the 505X or XX and still said it was very whippy. As others have said, aggressive loaders wouldn't enjoy it much. I think it'd have more luck on the women's or champions tour, if it ever makes it mainstream. Considering the price tag, that's not likely anytime soon.
its whippier than an average shaft, but if you get a stiff one its usable

So rain today, snuck out early before the dentist appointment yesterday. I didn't have a ton of time, but more than I had the day before. But in my testing outside I found two really fatal flaws:

1) range balls: now if they were all of similar quality age that would be one thing, but you have some legitimate golf balls, some that are fairly new and some that their best days are years behind them. The weight isn't consistent so doubt the flight/distances/ball speeds would be....

2) My swing: I had several shots that the launch monitor couldn't pick up because.... well the launch angle was negative or at least sub 5*.

So numbers wise I don't have much to add except... I had my fastest ball speed of the day with Autoflex, but it was only 1 mph faster than fastest with ADDI, but I hit better shots more consistently with autoflex and despite ballspeed being similar carry distance was up 16 yards. Again, with the quality of the balls being so varied I don't take much from those numbers, but the fact that I got 5 usable shots in 6 swings vs only getting 3 in 8 with my addi... well that intrigues me. Part of it was sequence (went addi first, then AF then back to ADDI).

I am going to put it in play saturday, but it is at a course I have never played before and we are supposed to get rain today so not sure I will get much info there but... I do have a practice session indoors on GCquad where I can use the same ball throughout. That removes flaw 1, but flaw 2 will sadly still be in play. Back Tuesday or Wednesday hopefully with better information.

Swing Speed Radar picks up the toe, which messes up with the speed rating. The speed it measures is typically several miles per hour faster than you'd get in a Foresight or Trackman.

Can you be serious? How much can a couple of mph mess up a reading?!

Can you be serious? How much can a couple of mph mess up a reading?!

well, if you’re comparing a differently-measured data set, it could skew yardages by 6-9 yards for your couple mph. that may not be enough for you to get excited, but others may look at that and think they gained or lost up to 10 yards when it was just a measurement difference.

Cool! So you expanded your parameter by more than 10% to include my example. A 1 MPH diff in swing speed accounts for about 2.5 yds of difference in distance. In the case we are discussing, we are not discussing club head speed! We are discussing the speed of the toe of the club passing the heel!

I think you might need to go back to the drawing board!

Cool! So you expanded your parameter by more than 10% to include my example. A 1 MPH diff in swing speed accounts for about 2.5 yds of difference in distance. In the case we are discussing, we are not discussing club head speed! We are discussing the speed of the toe of the club passing the heel!

I think you might need to go back to the drawing board!

you asked how much the measurement could mess up a reading. i gave you an answer to your question. your question included nothing about the significance of variability; you only asked about objective measurements. maybe ask your question differently and be more specific. or maybe i didn’t use enough exclamation points?

you asked how much the measurement could mess up a reading. i gave you an answer to your question. your question included nothing about the significance of variability; you only asked about objective measurements. maybe ask your question differently and be more specific. or maybe i didn’t use enough exclamation points?

I guess not, because that reply had no exclamation points at all! My idea is that I understand that the toe has to move a bit more quickly than the heel of the club, otherwise the golfer could not square the face of the club to the path at impact. But, by what degree? And does the result of the swing enter into the result? From what you're saying, if the difference in speed measurement between toe and heel is so large, should that not result in in a duck hook off the planet?

BTW, if I have not said it in the past, I should say it now. I am suspicious of this, and really doubt that it will be a game changer!

Alright.... got on quad today, but didn't get stickers on the face for club data. That doesn't bother me in the slightest as the sim let me know if the shot was decent or not.

I have historically been a low 90s swinger, got up a little higher when I was doing super speed, but have focused more on mechanics so think that is about where I am playing. Probably the exact demo that would be looking for autoflex (who also has dual income and no children to blow this much to test a shaft).

I tested indoors with callaway Mavrik max 9* set at N/+1. I warmed up with irons then hit 3 shots with autoflex (S 505 46"), 5 shots with ADDI (SR 65 45") and finished with 2 shots with AF, I hit one additional shot that I didn't count regardless of result when switching between the 2. I only had 45 minutes and honestly much more wasn't going to get me better results, probably just greater variance.

Ball speed avg with ADDI = 132, total distance 230. This is probably about right. Arccos smart distance says 228 for my driver.

Ball speed with AF = 140, total distance 240.

Longest with ADDI was only 7 yards shorter than longest with AF, but the dispersion both left to right and front to back was higher with aDDI. That surprises me as I would expect the 1" longer shaft that weighs 14g less to have much more variability....

Are these numbers any different than if someone took a mitsubishi grand bassara 49 at probably less than half the price and installed it to 46"? I have no idea but the dispersion and consistency with the lighter longer shaft, which has been talked about by TXG specifically is where I think there might be something special about this shaft.

Would I spend the money again for those numbers?... probably not. If these numbers translate to the course consistently will I regret the purchase? Definitely not, and the AF is in the bag for the forseeable future.

I have my arccos strokes gained data saved from before putting this in play and will track if there are any changes.

Alright.... got on quad today, but didn't get stickers on the face for club data. That doesn't bother me in the slightest as the sim let me know if the shot was decent or not.

I have historically been a low 90s swinger, got up a little higher when I was doing super speed, but have focused more on mechanics so think that is about where I am playing. Probably the exact demo that would be looking for autoflex (who also has dual income and no children to blow this much to test a shaft).

I tested indoors with callaway Mavrik max 9* set at N/+1. I warmed up with irons then hit 3 shots with autoflex (S 505 46"), 5 shots with ADDI (SR 65 45") and finished with 2 shots with AF, I hit one additional shot that I didn't count regardless of result when switching between the 2. I only had 45 minutes and honestly much more wasn't going to get me better results, probably just greater variance.

Ball speed avg with ADDI = 132, total distance 230. This is probably about right. Arccos smart distance says 228 for my driver.

Longest with ADDI was only 7 yards shorter than longest with AF, but the dispersion both left to right and front to back was higher with aDDI. That surprises me as I would expect the 1" longer shaft that weighs 14g less to have much more variability....

Are these numbers any different than if someone took a mitsubishi grand bassara 49 at probably less than half the price and installed it to 46"? I have no idea but the dispersion and consistency with the lighter longer shaft, which has been talked about by TXG specifically is where I think there might be something special about this shaft.

Would I spend the money again for those numbers?... probably not. If these numbers translate to the course consistently will I regret the purchase? Definitely not, and the AF is in the bag for the forseeable future.

I have my arccos strokes gained data saved from before putting this in play and will track if there are any changes.
Great data and looking forward to see if there are any trends in your Arccos data once you have enough rounds with the Autoflex shaft

Great data and looking forward to see if there are any trends in your Arccos data once you have enough rounds with the Autoflex shaft

I think it is going to skew lower regardless because of all the work I have been doing on the swing, and if I get back to doing superspeed (thinking maybe next week) that might change some things too, but it is still better than nothing. But... winter weather might take it the other way the next couple months but I will report back either way.

You guys see Adam Scott is testing this...

Interesting.
hope he doesn't put it in play, wouldn't want him to be dqed for using illegal equipment.

8mph ballspeed is nice, and 10 yards is exciting, but isn't that a little lower than what it should be? shouldn't 8mph ballspeed be 16-24 yards?

8mph ballspeed is nice, and 10 yards is exciting, but isn't that a little lower than what it should be? shouldn't 8mph ballspeed be 16-24 yards?

max smash factor of 1.5 x 8mph = 12 yards.... realistic smash factor of say 1.42 = 11.36.... But I don't know if that is the right calculation to use.

EDIT: Per hank haney, 1 mph ball speed could equate to 2 yards of total distance.... but don't see the math there. https://hankhaney.com/app/uploads/2019/01/ball_data.pdf

I didn't look at spin but that could have been an issue, might play around with loft next time I am on the quad, see if I can eak out a extra yards without losing accuracy. Also surprised that 138 ball speed is the average for a 10 handicap (both are about where i am). Figured I was behind in ball speed for sure for my index.

Last edited:

FYi, Ian from txg saw similar increases in both ball speed and distance so that makes me feel better on my math. Now he is a lot faster than me...

Attachments

• F53B3776-1629-4B16-A95D-71A48925EF00.png
    F53B3776-1629-4B16-A95D-71A48925EF00.png
    63 KB · Views: 17
FYi, Ian from txg saw similar increases in both ball speed and distance so that makes me feel better on my math. Now he is a lot faster than me...

i feel like i’ve actually seen that from other tests. impressive increase in speed, but a decrease in efficiency.

i feel like i’ve actually seen that from other tests. impressive increase in speed, but a decrease in efficiency.

I would be more concerned but longer and in the fairway as or more often aren't a bad combo.

Back