Automatic Putting/Coreputting

thepete

Reaction score
Handicap
+3
Has anyone tried this? I recently went back to a short putter but tried to tweak my fundamentals. One thing I really like about his (Marius Filmalter) idea of putting is that you essentially put your elbows against your body and putt with your core. I tried it today and immediately tied for my best score ever on my coach's putting test. It felt really solid and reliable. It forces me to keep my spine straighter and it just felt like everything was more connected. I also worked a bit with a metronome to keep my tempo the way I like it.

It feels a bit so-so for the left arm since I putt cross-handed, but I'll keep working on it.

Here's a wee clip of my trying the technique:

WOW, you're really not a fan of dying the ball into the hole are you? I like that putting style though, and its really what I like to do, other than the cross hand.

You're not a plumber, are you? You resemble one when you line up your ball.

WOW, you're really not a fan of dying the ball into the hole are you? I like that putting style though, and its really what I like to do, other than the cross hand.

Haha, I wouldn't mistake that for my usual putting style. I putted a lot more aggressive there than on the course because I was working on my technique and kinda 'forgot' the pace needed. Greens were a bit slow-ish too. The putts only went about a foot and a half past the hole.

I have tried to focus on this and I find myself focusing on this more than putting a good stroke on it.

No, I line the ball up and then hold my putter up so I can see the line on the ball on the edge of the shaft, to make sure the aim is where I want it to be.

No, I line the ball up and then hold my putter up so I can see the line on the ball on the edge of the shaft, to make sure the aim is where I want it to be.

ummm...dont think he was referring to the technique you use when lining up the putt...could be wrong though.

I don't know if your plumber crack joke translates into Swedish.

Interesting thoughts on putting. First, why did you stop with the long putter? I remember you showing off a really nice Custom Seemore long putter recently.

Second, seems like you really have to focus on your head and spine not moving at all with this kind of stroke. Did you notice any drastic mis hits or off line putts when your head/spine moved during the stroke?

edit: just went onto a core putting trainer website. Reminds me a little bit like Utleys style of putting. He wants your elbows close to your side and your shoulders turning around your spine. I follow utley's style so this core putting style makes sense to me.

re-edit: You not gonna mention your coach's putting test with out telling us about it are you? The poeple in my apartment complex voted last year to replace the old rundown tennis court with an artificial putting green. I literally spend 1-2 hours a night out on that thing and love putting drills and games.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts on putting. First, why did you stop with the long putter? I remember you showing off a really nice Custom Seemore long putter recently.

Second, seems like you really have to focus on your head and spine not moving at all with this kind of stroke. Did you notice any drastic mis hits or off line putts when your head/spine moved during the stroke?

edit: just went onto a core putting trainer website. Reminds me a little bit like Utleys style of putting. He wants your elbows close to your side and your shoulders turning around your spine. I follow utley's style so this core putting style makes sense to me.

Why I changed is simple: this worked better. I think of it as this: my stroke about a year ago was s%#t. I *needed* to use a belly putter to learn what a proper stroke felt like. My stroke involved the arms a lot, I cut across it etc. The belly putter made me learn to putt without my arms and hands being active. How I got to a + handicap with that kind of putting is a miracle in itself. I often practised with a short putter, to get the feel of how "loose" a short putter felt compared to a belly putter where you're connected. I did this every 2 weeks or so, and the other week I did it again, except this time the short putter felt 'right'. I holed everything. So I went with it and have yet to shoot over par or have more than 29 putts in a round since. It's as simple as this in a part of the game where it's easy to overthink and overdo things. I'll keep practising with the belly putter though, it's the main reason why I'm putting the way I'm putting today. And I probably wouldn't have used a short putter if SeeMore hadn't been so generous to me and helping me out.

As for the spine-bit: I don't know. I didn't think of my spine, when I worked on the technique I just thought of keeping my elbows to my body and rotating my shoulder. When I got into "hole-the-putt"-mode I was only thinking of the hole so I don't know what went on in terms of technique, but the putts went in 16 out of 20 times.

I've also studied Utley's principles and perhaps that's why this has been so easy to absorb for me. I guess Filmalter was easier to take to heart, since I've only heard/absorbed two things from him, whilst I've gone through Utley's book which contains a lot of information.

re-edit: You not gonna mention your coach's putting test with out telling us about it are you? The poeple in my apartment complex voted last year to replace the old rundown tennis court with an artificial putting green. I literally spend 1-2 hours a night out on that thing and love putting drills and games.

You choose a hole on the practice green with a bit of slope to it. Put tees down a 3 feet (I do 1 meter but w/e) in north, south, west, east. You putt from all of them, then move the tees to 5 feet, putt from there, then 7 feet, 8.5 feet and finally 10 feet. That is the 'golden distance', if you're good from 10 feet you'll be good from all distances. Then I putt 5 balls from 10, 15 and 20 yards. The goal is to get all of them within 3 feet (for the 10 yard putt) and 5 feet for the 15 and 20 foot putts. That all adds up to a total of 35 (20 for the NSWE drill and 15 for the lag putting). My best is 31. I do this on the day before all tournaments, to get a good feel for the greens.

Last edited:
Why I changed is simple: this worked better.

Understood. Makes absolute sense to me.

PS. Great line in you signature. Only a Golfer and a Samuel Jackson fan is gonna get it. So its like it was purposly written for me. haha

Understood. Makes absolute sense to me.

PS. Great line in you signature. Only a Golfer and a Samuel Jackson fan is gonna get it. So its like it was purposly written for me. haha

I holed more putts! Nothing more to it, haha.

And yeah, surprised no-one got it or commented until you did ;)

Best thing about it: making your own velcro-vest isn't overly hard.

Back