Average Putts per Round for a Mid-Cap

jvbart

2022 Quest Cup with Edel Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been keeping a GHIN for the last 25-30 rounds (18.8 at the moment). I achieved my 2020 goals of breaking 90 and getting my index under 20 and now looking forward to 2021 goals. I'm thinking about getting under a 15 cap and a score target of 83 but want to start keeping more specific stats and set some statistical goals as well.

My last round was the first time I recorded full stats outside of just total score and the first thing that popped out for improvement was my putts. I had 42 putts at Torrey Pines North. It was playing very hard leading up to the farmers so I think that my average putts will be better than that. My question to the forum is what are your average number of putts for those in the 10-15 handicap range (or any caps for that matter)? I'm hoping this will help me get an idea of a good goal for my putting as I really have no idea what a good number is to help me get my handicap into that 10-15 range.

Arccos says I'm at 8.4 HCP and averaging 33.7 putts/round with 1.9 putts/hole.

I definitely noticed my scores improve after I spent time doing putting practice all last winter. Speaking of, I need to get out my mat and get back to it!

I’m a 13.2. These are the full-ish putting stats from my last 20 rounds averaging 32.6.
1607978311925.png

Thanks guys very helpful! I THINK I'm probably around 38ish per round so definitely have some work to do. My personal best (87) was all due to a hot day putting with a bunch of one putts so I know it needs to be a focus for me this season.

I'm around a 15 handicap, and my average putts is at 34.8 per round.

Arccos says I'm at 8.4 HCP and averaging 33.7 putts/round with 1.9 putts/hole.

I definitely noticed my scores improve after I spent time doing putting practice all last winter. Speaking of, I need to get out my mat and get back to it!
I know I need to practice putting a lot more this year, so far this month zero practice sessions and one new putter lol.

Arccos has a scratch golfer averaging 30.7 putts/round. I'm a good putting ~13 HC and my average is 33.3, which has me only losing about 2.5 strokes per round to a scratch.

Arccos has a scratch golfer averaging 30.7 putts/round. I'm a good putting ~13 HC and my average is 33.3, which has me only losing about 2.5 strokes per round to a scratch.
Thanks that is right in the range I want to get to. It's sounding like 35 is going to be a decent goal for me to get under a 15hcp.

I know I need to practice putting a lot more this year, so far this month zero practice sessions and one new putter lol.
New putter means incentive to practice! At least it did for me!

Thanks that is right in the range I want to get to. It's sounding like 35 is going to be a decent goal for me to get under a 15hcp.
Yeah, Grint and Arccos are pretty good at giving you stats and context for those stats. Generally speaking my putting mentality is anything outside of 10' I want to get inside 2' for an easy 2 putt. I spend most of my time working on putt speed, and a bit on trying to make 4-7 putts.

I would say a good average putts for a mid cap would be around 34-38.
I average 31 according to Grint and want it down to 30.

The funny thing is, when I had my low putts of the year, at 30, it was because I was hitting it really close with my approach shots. Or, I missed the green, so I was chipping right off the green, making it easier to get a one putt. I wasn't necessarily putting any better, just leaving myself in better position when I did grab the putter.

I didn't track this past season. But in the 2019 season, I was at 32.2 puts per round.

27% 1 putt
66% 2 putts
7% 3 jack city

I am currently at about an 18 handicap and my average is 34.9 per round.

13% 1 putt
79% 2 putts
8% 3 putts

The funny thing is, when I had my low putts of the year, at 30, it was because I was hitting it really close with my approach shots. Or, I missed the green, so I was chipping right off the green, making it easier to get a one putt. I wasn't necessarily putting any better, just leaving myself in better position when I did grab the putter.
I find the same, most of my 1 putts come from leaving my approach just off the green then having a shorter par putt.

Yeah, Grint and Arccos are pretty good at giving you stats and context for those stats. Generally speaking my putting mentality is anything outside of 10' I want to get inside 2' for an easy 2 putt. I spend most of my time working on putt speed, and a bit on trying to make 4-7 putts.
I have the same mentality, really want to make sure I get close enough for an easy 2 putt. The first thing I can clean up in my score is the first putt getting away from me and leaving a difficult 2 putt.

I have the same mentality, really want to make sure I get close enough for an easy 2 putt. The first thing I can clean up in my score is the first putt getting away from me and leaving a difficult 2 putt.
Yup, I think speed is king. Even if your line is terrible kind of hard to be more than 4' left or right, but super easy to miss +6' long or short with bad speed.

I'm currently at a 16.4, and my average putts per round for 2020 according to GHIN is 32. But my GIR is 28%, so I'm often close to the green and chipping on, which probably skews the stats.

somehow average putts is not a great indicator of a handicap in my mind. I think greens hit in regulation and size of the greens is a big factor that the average question does not answer. yesterday I had the my most complete round of 2020 but I one putted less then I three putted. One of the 1 putts was when I chipped from just off the green to within 5ft; the other was a tee shot from a par three within 8ft.

the three putts sound terrible but my course has greens where a 40 to 80 foot putt is not uncommon if you don't hit the approach well. When I leave my normal muni 100ft from the pin means chipping which makes my putting look better then it really is.

Proximity to the hole from +30ft and putts holed from 0 to 10 ft likely better then average putts. The college golfers I have played with are very good in both of these categories vs my saturday group.

I'm a 13.5. My unofficial tally would be about 33 putts per round.

People tend to talk about being a better putter and practice putting. Heads up that step 1 for better putting is to be better at chipping and pitching the ball. Your cap will go down very fast this way.

somehow average putts is not a great indicator of a handicap in my mind. I think greens hit in regulation and size of the greens is a big factor that the average question does not answer. yesterday I had the my most complete round of 2020 but I one putted less then I three putted. One of the 1 putts was when I chipped from just off the green to within 5ft; the other was a tee shot from a par three within 8ft.

the three putts sound terrible but my course has greens where a 40 to 80 foot putt is not uncommon if you don't hit the approach well. When I leave my normal muni 100ft from the pin means chipping which makes my putting look better then it really is.

Proximity to the hole from +30ft and putts holed from 0 to 10 ft likely better then average putts. The college golfers I have played with are very good in both of these categories vs my saturday group.
I'm hoping that aggregating data from 30-50 rounds will make this number more meaningful. My putts at Torrey Pines will always be way higher than the other course we frequent just due to the challenging greens and thick rough that I'm usually hitting approach shots from. I have been on spots on greens at Torrey where I would gladly take a 3 putt if offered.

I'm a 13.5. My unofficial tally would be about 33 putts per round.

People tend to talk about being a better putter and practice putting. Heads up that step 1 for better putting is to be better at chipping and pitching the ball. Your cap will go down very fast this way.
Chipping is the worst part of my game and definitely the place for me to gain the most strokes. I'm not quite sure how to keep effective stats for this to form a goal.

Back