Average swing speed golfer tests G425, Epic Max, and SiM2 Max

skujan

Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting video from 2nd Swing:

I think 2nd swing's video recently have been pretty informative and I like seeing her results because she's a lot closer to me that he is from a distance and swing speed persepctive. However, I sort of feel like I'm watching an episode of Sheldon and Amy's "Fun with Flags."

She's using the $379 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ shaft in all three drivers.

Spin was too low for 87 swing speed. Needs to get fitted.

Unless I missed it, though he said that he weighed the three heads, he did not say that he swing weighted the heads. So, who knows if she was pulling the Epic Max because it was a low swing weight. When I play around with different shafts in my Callaway heads, I invariably need to adjust the weighting as well, sometimes by several grams. Maybe the Ping went up to D5 or something like that with this particular shaft, thus how heavy she felt it was (seemingly moreso than just Ping having heavier heads). And she ended up liking her similar Sim model the best, not surprising. Good watch, but I would take it with a grain of salt.

Grain of salt...

People react differently to each driver model

She appeared to go all out with all three drivers and the SiM2 Max was best for her on that day.

Spin was too low for 87 swing speed. Needs to get fitted.
I posted the same thing in the comments. I think TM reads her swing speed on the low side. She was up around 129-130 ball which is probably more like 89-91 mph depending on strike. But I put in the comments that for 130 mph ball I am not sure you want sub 2k spin levels. I know they chose that shaft as they had an adapter to fit all 3 heads, but most high end GD shafts are really low spin so once again not a great fit for her.

Unless I missed it, though he said that he weighed the three heads, he did not say that he swing weighted the heads. So, who knows if she was pulling the Epic Max because it was a low swing weight. When I play around with different shafts in my Callaway heads, I invariably need to adjust the weighting as well, sometimes by several grams. Maybe the Ping went up to D5 or something like that with this particular shaft, thus how heavy she felt it was (seemingly moreso than just Ping having heavier heads). And she ended up liking her similar Sim model the best, not surprising. Good watch, but I would take it with a grain of salt.

My guess is as long as they had it at a normal 45.5 or so length, the Sim2 and Epic would have swing weighted around normal D2/3. The G425 head comes in a bit heavier and that shaft to my knowledge is not counter balanced. So the Ping likely swing weighted around a D5-D6 which is heavy especially for a 90 mph swinger of the club. I am pretty much bang on her ball speed numbers and I always use a 45" driver that comes in around C9-D0 depending on the club.

She had the Epic Max spin rate up to 2313 but performed better with the SiM 2 Max at a too low 1919.

She appeared to go all out with all three drivers and the SiM2 Max was best for her on that day.

She never hit the center of the face with the Callaway, they were all high toe hits, so not very comparable data.

She never hit the center of the face with the Callaway, they were all high toe hits, so not very comparable data.
I don’t think she centered any of the shots. Ping was toe side too and the Sim2 high on the face. I think the shaft was too long

I do like seeing reviews and swings by someone with a slower swing speed. We all love seeing the review videos of the 300+ drivers and then they hit the 8 iron 180+, but it’s also informative to see someone hit the ball in the average area. I swing just a bit harder (90-93mph), but my distance aligns right in her range.

The one area that I wasn’t impressed with was in the beginning it listed her as a “master fitter”. I don’t think she spoke well on how the clubs fit for her technically. She probably would have fit into a different shaft, but said that she used a shaft adapter in the beginning. I would have like to see how she would have reacted to this as a fitter would and switch things out a bit more.

Very informative video. The video shows how forgiving these driver heads are considering she was toe side with most of her hits. Although the Ping G425 Max was a touch shorter, the dispersion was tighter and the forgiveness was apparent given all the shots were toe side. I think with a counter balanced Ping shaft fitted to the proper length, the Ping G425 Max would really shine.

Back