B81Smith's Full Bag Fitting at True Spec Golf - Chicago

B81Smith

Hit Bombs!
Reaction score
Handicap
My True Spec Fitting Experience…..while I absolutely loved the fitter, fitting, tech, etc - I have some serious doubts about pulling the trigger.

I had heard through the Hackers Paradise forum that True Spec Golf was doing free full bag fittings for the month of October. After calling and hearing it was correct I booked an appointment at the Chicago location. It was easy and got a confirmation. The day prior to the fitting I received some last instructions regarding arriving and finding where to park, etc. A short survey about my game was also included. I’m a 2.0 handicap which is okay, I’ve been as low as plus 1 and as high as a 5 over the past 20 years. So with 1 kid and being married to a non-golfer who feels golf = vacation/rest/do nothing/relax – it means I don’t get to practice and can only play 1 round/week during the summer if I’m lucky. So I tend to take PTO days not tell anyone and play freaking golf to get my fix. I’m pretty satisfied with my setup aside from my wedges – not a huge fan, not much belief in them, not much confidence but my wedge game is on point - if that makes any sense. 4 irons sucks – wanted something easier to high whether that has a graphite shaft, crossover, hybrid, whatever I’m open to it. I want more consistent driver direction! I’m all over and if I was down the middle it would save me probably 2 shots a round. If my wedges were more dialed in and confidence inspiring like the SM7’s do for me, I feel it would be another 1 shot per round, and last but not least – putter. I’m searching man, I need help, I brought 4 putters and thought one or all could be tweaked to fit perfect. I had bought the Evnroll hatchback 5 over the summer (first new club for me in a long time) because I’d was averaging like 5-8 birdie attempts from inside 10ft, make 1 for birdie miss all others, have 10 attempts for par on average from inside 6ft and make half, miss half – shoot 6 over and think if I made half those inside 10ft for bird plus 80% from 6ft and in - I’d be back to plus 1 shooting respectable scores again, dipping my toes in the 60’s more often. Well that’s me onto the fitting……

I arrived early and met with the fitter and spoke about my game and clubs for about 5-10 minutes. While I spoke he measured my clubs and told it was odd they’re a half inch over standard for all irons, hybrid and driver. My 3 wood was standard length. All of my clubs weighed heavier than sledge hammers LOL. My 6 iron was D6, my 8 iron was D8 and my Driver was like E1. I had explained I reshafted my irons and added sweet ferrules I used the old pull a shaft, trim the new shaft exactly like before and install – may have gone arry but I had no idea my clubs were ‘long’. I explained I had been through iron fittings at titleist, ping, demo days and golfsmith – all would fit me for dynamic gold x-100’s. Thought I wanted to try some S400 tour issues among other things in the irons, maybe the 120 gram versions of those. (this is key later on). I went over what my budget was with him and told them it’s a max of $3,000 for most likely a driver, 3 wood, 4-P irons, 3 wedges. He gave me a bit of a look like really you think you’ll get all that for that price but said thank you, budget is important and we would try to stay within in it but he stated he didn’t want to put a budget on performance. After explaining a few things regarding these issues we took to hitting the 8 iron to get warmed up. Explained I play in tournaments. Explained I like to hit all shots and be able to flight the ball when needed. Asked if I hit them low or with little spin and explained the courses I play I can stop 5 iron on down within a yard of where it lands but also back up 9 iron on down with regular ease – and I clarified that it would back up 1 foot or less but none the less back up. This will be key later.

IRONS:

My current set is the Mizuno MP-30’s 4-P with DG X-100 I got for college graduation in 2005. He grabs 4 iron shafts to try out – two KBS shafts (tour v and something else), a modus3 120, and an Oban CT 115 – all in X flex I believe. I was hitting 8 iron 163-165 with x-100’s in my set. I mentioned most of the grips already on the test irons felt like ladies grips and he was able to blow off a few and put midsize on….my first mistake – should’ve asked him to blow a few of my own grips off because I install with air and we could’ve gotten a much better test. I cannot swing full with standard sized rubber grips on and rotated 4 gloves to help with the sweaty hand issue. But this was my fault, I could’ve made the suggestion and it would’ve been awesome to test all clubs with same grip I use to play with. Anyhow, so I hit a few KBS with the baby grips on, they were not right. All over dispersion, mentioned I felt the club was slipping in my hands. He put the Oban in and mentioned this shaft is great but it’ll test the budget of yours. It had a midsized grip on it and I hit it well. Shaft felt fatter and my lower hand could actually grip it. I hit them wonderful. He said that is the shaft for you. I asked about the X100’s and he said those would launch too low and spin too much and weigh too much and effect my path. Said with Oban and the other 115 gram shafts were allowing my path to be better into the ball. Overall I stripped about 7 shots with the Oban shaft. I was already dreading the final price knowing no equipment company on the planet would carry these as an offering at MSRP $75/club extra! So 8 irons we’re talking an extra $600 on top of the price for the set. We got the irons dialed in pretty quick. I was told I need more height and spin on my shots – I mentioned my irons were bought in 2005, never been refurbed, grooves are all showing major wear and with new grooves the launch and spin would probably be increased but he said that was wrong thinking. I would increase spin but launch them the same and it needs to be higher – self note: I always thought I could hit the ball as high as anyone I’ve ever played with – even in tournaments in the scratch division – not many hit it as high as I do so I’m thinking we’ll yea I may not launch it high enough for the us open at pebble but for the wet soggy muni’s I play I can hold it fine. LOL.

Last edited:
Driver:

He had me hit mine and said wow those numbers look great and I’m going to have a really hard time matching or beating those. My club was Ping G 10.5 set to neutral – japan version of the Blueboard 73 gram X flex that I bought new in 2005 and it has been in every driver I’ve owned since: G10, G15, two nike’s and now the Ping G. I was launching at 12.5 degrees, 2300 rpm, carrying roughly 260-270 rolling out to 280/290. I had the new Ping LST, epic flash, cobra – none performed as good as my ping. I mentioned I like clubs heavy and can really only reach max speed if I have some weight – told me it shouldn’t be the case and their research has shown that reducing static weight and increasing swing weight may work but its not proven. We had tried about 3-4 shafts in each head. We also tried a Titleist. None gave the ball speeds my own club was getting and were all over the place. The shafts selected were a few I’ve only read about as being really (we’ll say expensive) great. No evenflows available, no hazardus, none of the regular Mitsubishi rayon composite offerings – those companies were represented but with only limited, rare, special editions, unique made for ‘true spec’ versions of clubs we’ve heard of. So literally I’m thinking we’re trying shafts I can ONLY get here LOL. He had said the shafts they had from graphite design were made for true spec exclusively because during testing they noticed gaps in offerings from all companies and so they went to graphite design to get a few made for them that would satisfy these gaps. I mentioned I really liked Oban and we tried one of those in terms of a kyoshi limited or something, didn’t feel right. In the end he said we’ll I’m going to say something you probably didn’t think would happen – your current driver is new enough, the loft/shaft result in great combo and I did an awesome job fitting myself picking the 10.5 in the LST model and launch high with lower spin using a tip stiff, firm mid section and soft butt shaft to yield great results. He wanted me to go home and chop ½ inch off the butt end of my driver, reinstall the grip and it would be lighter and I’d hit the sweet spot more since so far today even shots I thought were crushed were hit on the heal side of center. I said well the one shot I dread is the toe hook that ends up hooking low and about 70 yards left of where I’m aiming LOL. So no new driver for me which was a little sad because….well I really wanted a new driver LOL HAHAHAHA. I think if I do get a new driver I will continue to do what I've done for 10 years - I know the launch/spin needed and will try the new clubs knowing my old trusty Diamana Blue 73 X will go in there eventually/even try to order something similar in the right loft/etc - is plenty good for me because I pretty much nail it with available info/technology and demo days.

Fairway woods:

Current: Ping G, 14.5 set to neutral, ping tour 80 X shaft. I hit my 3 wood decent off the tee but told him about my prior 3 wood – tour edge CB2, 15 degree with the Oban Devotion 7 shaft in stiff tipped ½ extra inch to play between stiff and X in that shaft. Well he brought out a titleist, callaway and some other head to start – hit them all like crap in the first shaft – felt too boardy. A few shafts later and I’m eventually in the Oban Devotion 7 (LIMITED) which is hard to find, get, etc – asked why the limited version instead of the regular Devotion that I said I loved – told me the limited had a different profile and it fits me better vs the standard – I was thinking also an extra $75 compared to the regular version LOL. But anyway I hit it well but now that I think back I’m not sure I liked the feel but it went well in the callaway epic. I asked to try the tour edge cbx because I loved the hybrid. I hit it every bit as well as the callaway with this Oban devotion 7 limited shaft but in the end the recommendation was the callaway epic because it was a little bit higher launching or maybe it was it was a little more consistent in terms of spin, I cannot recall. I was happy with the recommendation. I did ask about epic sub zero and he said that would spin too little for me.

Last edited:
Hybrid:

I mentioned I won my current hybrid on GolfWRX forums to review and keep. Told him I had a Ping G 19 deg with ping tour 90 s flex but this newer hotter Tour Edge CBX 119 18 degree is awesome with the EvenFlow Black 75– said no way you can knock this out of the bag. Well that was short lived sadly. He said this hybrid is a 3 hybrid loft but has a 2 iron shaft in it and spins so little. That is why I noticed it went about as far as my 3 wood – lands at about 225/230 and rolls out to 245/250 where the 3 wood would land about 245 and roll out to 260 – all off the deck. So he said what you need is a club to fill the gap and land at about 225/220 but stick there – not roll way out. I said yes that is exactly what I need! So he said my beloved hybrid which cost me absolutely nothing that I love – needs to go. So he pulls out the ping G410 hybrid in 19 degrees puts an Accra shaft into it and yea feels great, goes the distance and everything is great – BTW if you didn’t know ACCRA shafts are really high end and aren’t available through ping! So another one I can’t get anywhere. But again I’m happy with the results – a club that fits the gap, fits me and feels good. BUT I’M JUST SO DAMN SAD IT SEEMS LIKE THE ONE FAVORITE NONE IRON IN THE BAG HAS TO GO AND IT DIDN’T COST ME A THING!!!!! I was going to pick the 19 degree Tour Edge too and was thinking if only, maybe it could work but after telling him this he said NO, it would not work. No loft in that tour edge will work for you because it spins too little and will always roll out too far when hitting to greens. I did mention come to think of it I’ve yet to hit it onto a green, I’ve hit short and it runs up but never flown onto the green. Explained since my 4 iron goes about 220, the 3 hybrid goes 230, if the green is 235 I’ll hit the hybrid, landing at 225 and rolling on – he said it would be better to have something I can fly on and hold the green with. But with current set recommendations it would seem my new 4 iron will go roughly 210/215, new hybrid will go 220/225 and the new gap will be from 225 – 250, because 3 wood will cover 245 but if somethings 235 I can’t choke down on a three wood because it would go super low like a knock down. Anyhow, I was still happy because just going through this process and talking golf tech, numbers on the GC Quad, etc I was just in heaven. He said I knew a lot about simulators, software, the numbers, clubs etc – I said I’m a golf geek and just dive into it all – not so much anymore but back in the day I was constantly on the forums talking shafts, building techniques, etc.

Wedges:

He asked me about my wedge game – told him I love them – all wedges J I really liked the SM7’s but was saving up for those, got fit for those on the grass on a Titleist Thursday event with the legend EJL –the man who invented the club champion/true spec/hot sticks/brand agnostic/high end fitting business! After talking how I usually take large divots, etc. Have issues with an occasional chunk while chipping off a tight lie next to the green, etc. Explained I didn’t get the SM7’s because I literally got the opportunity to test and keep a whole set of Bridgestone wedges in 2018, played them the whole year and still do. I mentioned it was odd since the spinner shafts in them really shouldn’t fit me well and for some reason I’m not able to spin them. Well we didn’t even bring out the SM7’s. We brought out a ping glide 3.0 Wide sole – hated it, even told him I own the ping glide 2.0 with a wide sole I bought thinking it’d be great – hated it. LOL I mentioned in terms of ping I prefer the SS grind – didn’t get to hit it. Didn’t get to try the SM7’s – told me anyone can spin those and they don’t fit many people these days, better options out there. We tried the new MD 5’s – in a wide sole – felt better – said get those – get the 58 degree and the 54 degree in the Cally MD5’s Jaws stock wedge shaft to save money but those are the ones for me. I should’ve asked more questions at this point and pushed to try more stuff that I wanted to try.

Last edited:
The thing I’ve been waiting for PUTTERS!:

Upon arriving I saw the awesome rack of all the best putters – bettinardi, tulon design, parretti, scotty, you name it and its over 400/putter – they got it. Missing oddessy, ping, taylormade, etc. LOL.

After the wedges I asked about the putter fitting and was told ‘Our full bag fitting doesn’t include the putter.’ I was like WTF and asked bluntly 'then how can you call it a full bag fitting then? And he said we’ll we offer a full bag plus the putter but since we have some time I’ll take a look at your putters. I pull out my main two and before rolling a putt – I just took them out and he said change both those grips, they’re horrible and why you’re missing putts…..on my bettinardi putter is a superstroke slim mid 2.0 and on the Evnroll ER5 hatchback is their brand new super duper gravity grip – cost me $30 just for the grip but as stated I was searching mid summer because my putter was crap in my opinion - doesn't mean I'm having more than 30-34 putts/round. Anyhow, I kind of laughed a bit uncomfortably at this point with all this info running through my head like are you serious? Superstoke not being a good putter grip? Have you seen the LPGA, PGA, etc…?????WTF!!! He clarifies by saying well I assume you push and pull a lot of putts and because of these grips its people’s tendancy to use a crap stroke like dragging handle through, etc. I explained I’ve been playing, practicing, reading and studying golf for 35 years, give me 3 tries at any shot you can call and I’ll pull it off – whatever shot you can think of one would hit during golf – I’ve practiced and drilled and read how to, practiced, etc. I’ve taken and passed the playing ability test, I was 2nd place medalist as a matter of fact, I’m a certified golf teaching professional through the united states golf teachers federation and nothing I do is really crap LOL I don’t do it all perfect everytime the first time or I’d be twice as rich as Tiger Woods who only did it half the time. So come on. Anyhow I finally get to hitting putts – start off with the Bettinardi for mizuno BC1 – after 5 putts he said that is the perfect putter for me, LOL. Said I take it back nice basically straight back and through – I asked about in to out, etc, slight arc, etc. = only feedback I got was I was basically straight back and straight through – get rid of all the face balanced putters I have and only use or own the bettinardi, people should’ve have multiple putters of different designs – I asked what about when one is bad and needs a time out, he said exactly, the putter is fit for you perfect off the rack – no improving upon it. Lie is perfect at 70 degrees, loft is 1 degree and I deliver that exact loft every time, path looks great, the way I swing the superstroke is fine and itsn’t my issue – told me I tend to stand too close and that makes my stroke less consistent – focus on setup and my putting will improve. So the putter fitting wasn't one - hit 10 putts maybe and was told that one model is the one, toss all the others. LOL I would've wanted to find the perfect lie angle/shaft bend for the Evnroll ER5 - would even pay/look into if they could put a flow neck on there because those fit my eyes and stroke best - even according to him - flow neck for me is perfect. Anyhow this was the largest let down but at the same time it tells me I should be using my Betti all the time.

Fitting was basically over:

We had a little down time where he wanted me to ask anything I thought about, etc. I should’ve pushed to try the Ping i210’s that we fit me for – with the standard x100, s400’s as well as the same shafts in the 120 gram versions – just to eleviate my concerns these high end shafts that were lighter and more expensive than anything I’d ever think to buy are the right ones for me – definitely some worry here. Also when I asked about what swing weight he though was best he had said well we hit heads and shafts and which ever I hit best must be the swing weight for me. Which I was expecting more like adding bits of lead to find if a heavier swing weight or something would benefit my release and flight, etc. Hard to hit them high with spin if you can’t feel where the club is. Anyhow he measured the club he said was perfect for me and it was C9!!!!! So I’m going from like mid to high D range to a high C range! Scary if you ask me – spend more than you ever have for lighter shafts and swing weights based on 2 hours of swinging clubs. While I was praised for incredible repeatability – I don’t shoot in the 70’s every time, every day! Sometimes in the low 80’s and sometimes in the high 60’s. So variability of it all really is freaking me out knowing I like them heavier day in day out but maybe this day I swung lighter clubs better – who knows. I’m a bit upset I didn’t push to try more shafts that I know are offered as stock, more wedge heads and more shafts. I didn’t try ping fairways, Srixon driver/fairway, more models of the club list I had built prior to the visit. I logged all the shafts, clubs, etc that I wanted to try but missed many of them. I got to try in order: Titleist T100, Callaway pro forged, mizuno MP20 mmc, Srixon Z585, ping blueprint and ping i210’s – the i210’s won out handidly with the Oban CT 115 in X Flex I believe. Not sure – specs and info haven’t been sent to me yet. – Didn’t get to try mizuno hot metal pro – said wouldn’t be good for me. Didn’t try the i500’s, 919 forged, c300.

I tried most irons I had wanted to try.

Driver:
I was able to hit: Ping G 410 LST, taylormade M5, Titleist TS2, Callaway Epic Flash, Cobra - - didn’t get to hit tour edge and Srixon.

Fairways: I was able to try callaway epic flash, titleist ts something didn’t look because it felt bad and didn’t go well, and the tour edge I asked to try. Didn’t get to try ping, sub zero, cobra, Srixon and taylormade.

Wedges: I tried ping glide 3.0 wide sole and the callaway MD5 wide sole – no others were tested – wanted to try SM7’s, miura, mizuno, taylormade and other pings and other callaways.

Balls tested: ball was not discussed. I used balls from the pile of proV1’s and proV1X’s that were in front of me, all used, not marked up, looked fine. I had asked if the difference between hitting say a driver/fairway/iron/wedge would differ much in terms of the numbers and was told not really, angle, path, face, etc are all determined by swing where correct shaft/head combo matters most – then you can switch between balls fairly easy and numbers will change but not so much that it makes a head/shaft combo suddenly not fit you.

Note: Wish I could go back and validate the fitting again with a quick 20 minutes to hit those shafts again – they’d only have to make up 3 clubs (6 iron, fairway and hybrid) – blow my grips on or allow me to do it and allow me to hit in a bay for a little before I pull the trigger! It’s the difference between buying and not buying for me.

Last edited:
Final Run Down:

So my budget was $3,000 firm! I’ve saved $50-$150 each pay check (bi-weekly) for an entire year! 26 pay checks multiplied by an average of 115 = $3,000. So I’m not rich, I’ve been wanting to buy new clubs fit by either club champion or true spec for about 3 years now. I’ve made some mistakes along the way buying a putter here or a driver there and hating it, selling it, and taking major losses in the process. I wish I’d gotten to try more stuff that I came in there wanting to try out in order to make an informed purchasing decision. In the end I’m filled with doubt. When I try to explain to a friend or family they get upset about me talking golf clubs and usually shout ‘well now you know, you went and tried stuff, its all too expensive, they’re just trying to fit you to the most expensive stuff made for or by them where you can only get it there, now you know and can go somewhere else’ LOL which isn’t what I want to hear but in the back of my mind going somewhere else may alleviate my concerns – especially if I get fit for all the same gear again! That’s validation. Overall I would highly recommend them but go in expecting to mainly try high end aftermarket only variations of some shafts you’ve heard of but mainly ones you didn’t know existed. They do guarantee their fitting and work – so if you’re fit by them and purchase through them – doesn’t have to be on the spot – they’ll guarantee you’ll play your best and they’ll perform as expected – if for any reason you can bring them back in and revalidate things or change things based on monitor validation (that’s key) so you’ll be in the best performing equipment for you. I think the little line about monitor validation needs to be looked at. If I don’t like how they perform into the wind but the monitor says its fine – you’re not probably getting any tweaks or replacement stuff free of charge – the monitor must validate what you’re saying or you are out of luck. I’d bet that’s the case with most fitters though, just because you’re not a fan doesn’t mean you’ll get your money back – the monitor must prove it.

The fitting was Saturday October 12th at 1pm but I’ve yet to receive any print outs, stat sheet, build sheet, etc from the fitting. I’ve had bad luck over the years with this – pga tour superstore fitting – no spec emailed but said they would, Titleist Thursday fitting for wedges (vary in depth with trackman on range moving to green side chipping off tight lies, deep rough, sandy stuff, actual trap work, etc and really loved SM7’s 58 in S, 54 in S and 50 in F grinds – never tried any during the fitting at TrueSpec though) – supposed to email me recommendations but never got them. So fingers crossed I don’t have to call or email regarding the fitting. The fitter was extremely knowledgeable and was very nice and accommodating. Having lots of knowledge myself probably made me tougher to fit and one with lots more feedback compared to most.

Final fit:

Ping i210 irons - 4 thru U, 1 degree upright – they bend them in house they don’t order them this way – with Oban CT115 – x flex. Said it would be best to get the set Gap wedge (U) because I mostly full swing it and it would better gap this way vs getting something else.

Callaway Epic Flash - 3 wood – with Oban Devotion 7 Limited 05 (x) flex.

Ping G410 hybrid 19 degree with some Accra or Ozik shaft – can’t recall.

Callaway MD5 – wide sole, 12 degrees of bounce – 58 and 54 with stock shafts.

All standard length.

All grips: winn dri tec midsized grips – True Spec at $15/piece for these - I said man to man you know these are 6/grip and I have about 50 of them at home – said I could bring those in to save some money.

Also I will bring my own Ferrules mixing white with blue strips and blue with white strips alternating clubs throughout the set and wedges.

Pricing: Not including Tax of roughly 10%

They had all pricing out the door not including tax at $3,556 – removing SST PURE from all irons and the fairway shafts because he said those are really high quality and didn’t need a pure but the hybrid would need to be - got things down to $3,156 or something and I assume if we take off $15/grip I’d get another 150 off (10 grips x 15). So pretty close to my budget in the end but with less overall purchases than I thought. So same amount of expected money to spend but get less overall but the clubs are guaranteed and that’s a good piece of mind spending that kind of dough. Overall I loved it. I’m a fitting addict LOL. I know everything must be custom fit but usually try to go the cheap route. The fact this will hopefully be my dialed in set for the next 10 years or so means I really need to get this right. I’m not going to buy stuff off the rack for this build and wanted the best I could afford while still getting pretty darn close to the best. During things like this I realize no one will ever actually be fit like a pro where they have the whole entire set built out and after deciding on club, shaft, lie, you get to hit the entire set, going through gapping, tweaking 1 degree here or there with the help of a master grinder who dials in bounce, turf interaction, lofts, lies for all clubs not just the 6 iron, ensures everything is firing on all cylinders before you order all the clubs or take them home, etc. That would be dialed in to the max but this type of fitting is the closest you can get. All club heads and tons of shafts to choose from (granted not many are offered through the manufacturer) and just amazing fitters who recognize things, see patterns and recommend trying this or that – in the end I’m probably going to order everything from True Spec, have them build to exacting specifications – all while expecting the clubs not to perform to my liking but having that guarantee to back things up. I’m not saying I want them to fail, heck no, I want them to be exactly what works best for me but not trying a few shafts that I assumed would work well, not trying a few club heads I wanted to but didn’t mention, not pushing harder to try various things, etc means I have some doubts. Some doubts of will this swing weight be okay for me or was it just okay that one day at the fitting? Some doubts of since I didn’t try this fairway, how do I know it wouldn’t’ve worked better or best? Since I didn’t push to try this shaft maybe that was so close in terms of performance but costs 140 less? Since I didn’t have them blow my grips off (Winn Dri Tec Midsize) and used the standard men’s rubber grips that felt like baby grips - did that affect some of the shaft results I was trying? Did it affect Head results? Etc. Dumb I didn’t request it. Dumb I didn’t request maybe trying the head/shaft combo they said worked best with a higher swing weight but I got the impression they’re unable to do anything like that. Seems like companies that say they fit for swing weight actually do this by having you hit 4-6 heads with 4-6 shafts and the one you hit best - whatever the shaft/head combo ended up – that is your swing weights LOL which doesn’t sound right to me.

If any of you are going you can bring extra grips they can blow them on or if you install with air like I do, they can remove a few of yours to put on the ones you’re trying. Seems like I went in and made every mistake I could to inject doubt into my head.

I plan to buy from them but will request maybe one more chance to come in and hit those club/shaft combo’s – not a fitting, just validation before handing my credit card over. Remember the pricing above didn’t include sales tax and I’d assume 10% so it is going to be around $310 = $3410 final out the door shipped to me price. I’m not sure if they’ll allow this but me buying through them kind of depends on it. I just need one more time to hit the Ping i210 6 iron and see results before pulling the trigger. I hate that I’ll probably have to give up my beloved hybrid that I got for freaking free I might add, that I love, not sure if I mentioned that, but it doesn’t appear to fit in with the new set unless I want to keep it around to use as some kind of back up 4 wood type thing.

Awesome write up. It sounds like you may want to try another fitting IMO. This guy didn't seem to get you comfortable with what he was doing and I think if you get clubs that he fit you for you may regret it. Just the sense I get from how you wrote this up.

Quite the write up. I'd have to agree with @DataDude, you don't seem very happy with the results. That's alot of money to drop with as many variables as you think are left on the table.

I had a couple of good experiences with True Spec in Scottsdale and still didn't buy anything; if I had a bad fitting, I definitely wouldn't. If I were you, I would hold off on buying anything after the fitting you had. I also got fit into an exclusive True Spec shaft when I went for the driver fitting, but I just researched it and found a used shaft that seemed closest to the specs.

Yea I hear ya guys. On one hand I have nothing bad to say regarding the fitter although my write up sounds like I may have. I feel it was more me because I should’ve pushed to try certain club heads and shafts plus didn’t have the idea of using my grips until I was driving home lol. When I saw him blow on a midsize that was my chance to say hey blow off a few of mine (takes less than 5 seconds per club) and use those for all the shafts. It would’ve taken him about 5 seconds per club from what I saw.

The only things I’m kind of uncomfortable with is not being able to hit the shafts again. I’ll definitely ask once I have the cold hard cash in hand. I’d think they’d let me come back and hit a few balls with the 4 clubs - 6 iron, 3 wood, hybrid and a wedge. I’d probably hold off on wedges from callaway until I can get to a demo day and since ordering stock was the recommendation I would be able to get them same day from course or pga tour superstore. I just want to validate by hitting a few more. That’s all. I’d love another fitting but this free one normally 450 is kind of a huge deal. I was gonna pay club champion 175 during their winter half off full bag fitting sale. Idk. Dumping more money into a fitting isn’t my next step because I do believe the day I was there I was fit to what worked best. Idk. I’m so on the edge. Thinking what if’s like every couple minutes. All because of me though for not pushing to hit shafts and heads I wanted to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I hear ya guys. On one hand I have nothing bad to say regarding the fitter although my write up sounds like I may have. I feel it was more me because I should’ve pushed to try certain club heads and shafts plus didn’t have the idea of using my grips until I was driving home lol. When I saw him blow on a midsize that was my chance to say hey blow off a few of mine (takes less than 5 seconds per club) and use those for all the shafts. It would’ve taken him about 5 seconds per club from what I saw.

The only things I’m kind of uncomfortable with is not being able to hit the shafts again. I’ll definitely ask once I have the cold hard cash in hand. I’d think they’d let me come back and hit a few balls with the 4 clubs - 6 iron, 3 wood, hybrid and a wedge. I’d probably hold off on wedges from callaway until I can get to a demo day and since ordering stock was the recommendation I would be able to get them same day from course or pga tour superstore. I just want to validate by hitting a few more. That’s all. I’d love another fitting but this free one normally 450 is kind of a huge deal. I was gonna pay club champion 175 during their winter half off full bag fitting sale. Idk. Dumping more money into a fitting isn’t my next step because I do believe the day I was there I was fit to what worked best. Idk. I’m so on the edge. Thinking what if’s like every couple minutes. All because of me though for not pushing to hit shafts and heads I wanted to try.

I had my fitting there also this time last year for a driver... then a few months later for irons. Theres only one fitter there so I'm assuming we had the same guy, won't say his name

I felt the same way about explaining my budget. kind of got the same response you did. After trying regular no up charge shafts, he fit me in to Accra iseries 110 shafts. I know Accra is expensive so when he brought them out I asked right away how much are these. He said I think $40... I continued to hit and they did feel good but I wasn't convinced they were the best. After finishing the iron fitting he then corrected himself and said actually the Accra's are $80/shaft. I said im not doing that. He says well what was the point of doing any of this, this is the best outcome to achieve maximum performance and it happens to cost more. I told him I told you my budget and that's why I asked immediately how much the shafts were (for the record I was getting a credit of $1100 b/c the driver I bought ended up being a terrible fit for me). So in my head im thinking I have that credit and id be comfortable with another $500

With the Accra's he said they also need to be frequency matched which was like another $20 per shaft. However it all worked out I was fit in to Srixon z forged 4 - PW, Accra iseries 110, frequency matched and z-cord align grips.... total was about $2,150. Said no way im paying for that. I finished the year as a 6.4 handicap but I don't play tournaments so that wasn't reasonable to buy

On the plus side they do stand behind their money back guarantee like they state. When all said and done I was able to walk away from everything and received a check in the mail a few weeks later for the $1100 I spent on the driver. All I lost was the initial $100 from the driver fitting. I did not have to pay for the iron fitting since I was convinced id be leaving with irons after the purchased driver wasn't as good as the day of the fitting

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Yea I’m definitely torn.

On one hand this is my first custom fitting like this ever and I’ve been saving each week for the whole darn year and I’m chomping at the bit to buy a whole new bag.

On the other hand I’m unsure if it will all work out to where any club in my bag is my favorite or have absolutely no doubts I’m playing the best setup for my game - especially long term.

I will absolutely not 100% ever but another club for at least 10 more years. So I’m just wanting to go in and validate the fitting by quickly hitting the 4 clubs again. I probably won’t get the wedges they fit me for but I’m definitely considering the irons and woods. So I’ll ask once I’m all saved up and ready to buy. I’d think any company that has someone 95% likely to buy $3,000 plus that won’t allow me to just come try them again during some down time.

Back