Back in Day clubs could put in bag and likely not miss a beat!

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Woods:

Founders Cubs including the Judge (this has a very hot face for its time)
Entire first line of Mizuno metals
Callaway Biggest Great Big Bertha and any of their early fairway woods including heaven woods
TM with weird bubble shaft
Irons
Tommy Armour 845s Best off shelf irons ever imo
Hogan Edge
Titleist 955 or similar models
Ping eye 2 - not a fan but they worked and beryllium might have worked for me

Wedges
First Vokeys
Any circa 2000s Cleveland
Putters; Bulleye, Ping PAL or especially the first 2 ball

played my best golf with some combo above

Exactly how far “back in the day” are we talking about?

ping zing 3 wood

I either have or have had all of the metal woods listed in the first post.
None of those hold a candle to what is out now.

Talking a completely different spin profile. Vastly unforgiving laterally in comparison.

Titleist OG DCI Black.

If I can find a decent deal on a Recoil Proto 110 pull, I'm going to reshaft those babies.

It seems my game has been in a constant state of evolution, ability-wise, throughout my life, and my gear changed as my abilities did.
So NOTHING ever seems automatic? I have changed clubs a lot in my life, and consistency in scoring came with consistency in keeping what was working in the bag.

The one point I make about gear is that the courses I play are the same length, I'm now MUCH shorter distance wise, so I don't need to chase "distance" even though I don't hit it as far. I just move up a tee box now, and my ego is just fine with that. :ROFLMAO: I don't need to chase distance, and it was a byproduct of better play and better fitness and better understanding of the swing.

The club is then what am I comfortable with at this particular moment of my golfing career. And some of the older clubs that were different materials, like all steel fairway woods, they sound and feel different, and pleasing in my opinion. Not as forgiving, but who wouldn't still game like a TM V-steel 3W? Still a great club and useable on most any average length course out there. If you are in competition, or just like the newest stuff, that's fine. (y)

I had a Callaway Big Bertha 9* with a Titanium shaft in it that was the first non steel shaft I was able to play consistently. That went right into the bag. As @JB said almost everything since then has been better. I remember the Titleist 975 JVS going right in the bag as did the TM 320 for me.

I am going to say anything after the advent of the launch monitor is far superior to anything prior to that. That said I still have a soft spot for my War Bird 5 wood with an RCH 96 shaft. I still have it and I would use it if I had to.

Last edited:
I am honestly not sure monitors have helped as much irons except going to stronger lofts. With drivers there is a huge difference but properly fitted some other clubs 10-20 years old can still perform.

A club from well before the metal wood era that is common in today’s bags (or at least dozens of copies of it) is the Ping Anser putter. I’m still using an original one from the very early 70’s.

A club from well before the metal wood era that is common in today’s bags (or at least dozens of copies of it) is the Ping Anser putter. I’m still using an original one from the very early 70’s.
Top of class surely

I still occasionally use a V-Steel 7 wood I got brand new in 2004. Has a Fuji Pro 73 in X flex.

I either have or have had all of the metal woods listed in the first post.
None of those hold a candle to what is out now.

Talking a completely different spin profile. Vastly unforgiving laterally in comparison.

But sometimes an older club just looks and feels right. I agree on the new ones being much better. I sometimes had a probably 13 year old Cobra 3W+ In my bag. It worked fine as long as you hit it center. It’s probably 20 yards shorter than the Epic Flash, much more so on mishits. It wasn’t a bad club to play in wind though.

I have my original iron set (Tour Model 4’s-high quality Eye 2 copies). I could play them today and not miss a beat. They’re a club less loft wise so I’d have to grab an 8 instead of 9. Since I have 3-Pw it would play very similar to my 4-GW set up.

I could game a set of Ping Eye 2’s from 1982, a Ping G2 Driver(2004), and Callaway X2 Hot fairway woods(2013?) and not have any increase in my GHIN. I do still game a 2007 driving iron that has been a fixture in my bag since it was released.

Amen. The old clubs work just as well as the new ones do. You still have to put a good swing on the ball either way.
To those who say that the new clubs are so much better: are they really or are you just comparing apples to oranges? I could put my old set of persimmon woods (Wilsons) and my irons from the 1930s in the bag (Spaldings with faux hickory shafts) and the difference in only 2 or 3 strokes at best and much of that is in the driver. Swinging a 190cc persimmon head is a lot different from swinging a Volkswagen on the end of a stick.

I’ve been playing the 2013 Nike VR S forged irons in my backup bag for the last several rounds. I still love my PXG 0211’s but there’s something special about these Nikes. Playing so well, I don’t know if/when I’ll switch back?

I’ve been playing 2013 Nike VR S forged irons in my backup bag and now for the last several rounds. I still love my PXG 0211’s but there’s something special about these Nikes.
I just ordered the PXGs now you got me worried but Nike were great clubs

I really think I could score about the same with any set of irons but for the sake of discussion I'll list what I currently own.

Woods I'll take mid 90's BB Warbird w/ steel shaft.

Irons I still have and occasionally play 97 Top Flite Tour and don't miss a beat. Almost had a hole in 1 with the 7 iron two weeks ago.

I really think I could score about the same with any set of irons but for the sake of discussion I'll list what I currently own.

Woods I'll take mid 90's BB Warbird w/ steel shaft.

Irons I still have and occasionally play 97 Top Flite Tour and don't miss a beat. Almost had a hole in 1 with the 7 iron two weeks ago.
Top Flites underrated clubs

No one mentioned that the period correct golf balls would make a difference.
I wish they make the older golf balls available for us to pair up with the older golf clubs. Modern golf balls are great but basically designed for the modern golf clubs.
I agree that the modern drivers are far superior in performance over the persimmon drivers or the first generation of the steelhead drivers.
I remember the average driving distance for the PGA Tour was something like 250 yards plus some change. Today's number must add another 40-50 yards.
I can still hit my Cleveland Classic persimmon driver out 235-250 but losing lot of yards to the modern driver. I would not mind playing with my 30-40 years old golf clubs on a shorter golf course, but it would not be enjoyable on a golf course over 6500 yards.
I like the older sets of golf clubs I kept through the years, I guess more about the memory they bring than the actual performance.
It'll be difficult for a younger golfer who has no experience of the bygone time to appreciate the older golf clubs.
Oh yes, I also miss the metal spikes clapping against the pavement. It'll bring back the memory of following my father around the golf courses, and the steams from the men's shower fogged up the mirrors in the locker room ..............

I think perimeter type irons overall have not improved that much just strong lofts and even some of earlier hybrids pretty good.

Back