Back to School and Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious, what options do you guys have for your kids and what are you choosing?

My wife and I have a choice for fully remote learning and think we are going that route.

I resigned from teaching because of it, lack of protocols for protecting teachers particularly in HS.

My 5 y.o. is still attending K, mainly because she’s in the age group where studies show it to not be as much of an issue. The wife (doc) did her due diligence in researching what she felt the best decision was for Lotte. That said, I fully expect in another week we will be full distance learning.

I resigned from teaching because of it, lack of protocols for protecting teachers particularly in HS.

My 5 y.o. is still attending K, mainly because she’s in the age group where studies show it to not be as much of an issue. The wife (doc) did her due diligence in researching what she felt the best decision was for Lotte. That said, I fully expect in another week we will be full distance learning.
Wow! I’m sorry to hear the news about your profession. May have been an easy choice but tough decision. Dang dude.

My kids are back to school and wearing a mask all day. I don’t see it lasting much longer either.
We were given the choice but the distance learning is pure crap imo, I’m really worried about our youth in the coming years.

Ours are doing fully remote for Middle School. There is a 2-day in-person, 2-day virtual option, but we opted out. Kids have to wear a mask all day (7am-12pm workload), there's no food/drink allowed, no lockers, and teachers have to be on camera at all times, so essentially they have to teach to the remote kids anyway.

We'll see how it goes.

My youngest daughter will be starting high school on Monday 50 percent in class and 50 percent online. K through 5th is in class 5 days a week at her private school. My oldest daughter is remote/online for her college semester and my son’s college is starting a mix of online and in class teaching on Thursday. His college has quarantined all the students to their dorms the last 10 days. All took Covid tests when the arrived and all are getting tested again on Tuesday. All who have tested positive or broke quarantine rules were sent home. It will be interesting to see if they can actually sustain the in class learning for the entire semester.

It's too bad what we are trying to put these kids through. Luckily most schools around here are trying to do as much in person classes as possible. Dealing with inevitable cases as appropriate.

We just finished 2 weeks of 2 days/week with a distance learning practice day last Monday. Now it will be 5 days/week, 1/2 days until the end of September. Half the kids go in the morning and the other half the afternoon. After that it’s full days in person.

Our school protocols have been great and I don’t anticipate any issues. I think we are good to go.

Mrs SirShives and I started looking at what the new school year might look like back in May/June. This school year we have a 4th grader and a kindergartner. We didn’t like the online learning that we saw at the end of the school year and didn’t like the proposed restrictions they were talking about for the upcoming school year. We decided early that we would pull the kids from public school and start homeschooling. If you had told me 6 months ago we would become homeschoolers I would have said YOU'RE CRAZY! But it’s going very well. The kids like it and my wife is much happier with the curriculum we picked over what the school system pushed out there. I will say some days when I get home from work my wife is in a better place than others. :LOL: If she says she needs to spend the evening at a friends house with a glass of wine, I do not argue...yes dear, I’ll get the kids to bed tonight.
Overall we have been really good with the decision to homeschool even though we really liked our school when we were there. Would not change anything about what we’ve done.

@SirShives good for you! I wish I had the patience and mentality to do it. The way I see it, I would not ask an Elementary school teacher to do my job and I certainly don’t expect me to be able to do theirs. I don’t have the background and personality to teach the...

5 year old in K, 11 year old first year of middle school (whatever year that is). Both distance learning.
I’m torn. Part of me thinks they should be going back to school. Distance learning is tough. I know I’d have found it difficult to fully concentrate sitting at home on a computer at that age. Both my kids are over it way before their sessions end. There a load more to school than just sitting in a classroom and learning stuff. The social interaction they are missing out on can’t be good.
On the other hand, seems like it’s a virus pressure cooker just waiting to happen. Kids may be ok, but it’s not fair to force teachers into a situation where they could be unnecessarily exposed to risk.
mom the other hand again, this isn’t going to just clear up. It’s going to be a factor for years. Possibly years and years.
I’m genuinely torn on this issue.

We have been back to teaching face-2-face at the community college since June. Tons of safety protocols and safety measures. Classroom activities are online.

Grandkids are in school for now. Cases have already gone up as expected.

Mrs SirShives and I started looking at what the new school year might look like back in May/June. This school year we have a 4th grader and a kindergartner. We didn’t like the online learning that we saw at the end of the school year and didn’t like the proposed restrictions they were talking about for the upcoming school year. We decided early that we would pull the kids from public school and start homeschooling. If you had told me 6 months ago we would become homeschoolers I would have said YOU'RE CRAZY! But it’s going very well. The kids like it and my wife is much happier with the curriculum we picked over what the school system pushed out there. I will say some days when I get home from work my wife is in a better place than others. :LOL: If she says she needs to spend the evening at a friends house with a glass of wine, I do not argue...yes dear, I’ll get the kids to bed tonight.
Overall we have been really good with the decision to homeschool even though we really liked our school when we were there. Would not change anything about what we’ve done.
Whoa! What a journey. Glad to see you guys found a safe option that works for you. Best wishes.

My youngest daughter will be starting high school on Monday 50 percent in class and 50 percent online. K through 5th is in class 5 days a week at her private school. My oldest daughter is remote/online for her college semester and my son’s college is starting a mix of online and in class teaching on Thursday. His college has quarantined all the students to their dorms the last 10 days. All took Covid tests when the arrived and all are getting tested again on Tuesday. All who have tested positive or broke quarantine rules were sent home. It will be interesting to see if they can actually sustain the in class learning for the entire semester.

My daughter is a senior in college in Florida this year. They started this week in a hybrid fashion. She is living off campus. I agree with you that it will be interesting to see how long they can sustain any in class learning for the semester.

Best of luck with your children during this. Hope they remain safe and healthy.

We are doing remote learning for 1 child and in person for the other, but due to district guidelines, we are now distance learning on both. We went remote with the youngest just for the simple fact we knew that we would be at homeschooling for several weeks this fall and he does not do well with the change in routine. So I have been teaching since school started.

That said, I fully expect in another week we will be full distance learning.

My oldest made it 2 days before the district switched to distance learning.

My youngest daughter is teaching 4th grade this year in the local school district. She's doing all her teaching remotely from home.

Whoa! What a journey. Glad to see you guys found a safe option that works for you. Best wishes.
I will admit it’s not been the easiest thing we’ve ever done. The decision was easy but doing it day to day has it’s difficulties. My wife is a champ and I will forever be in awe of her grace and patience.

My son has been in school for 3 weeks so far. Including the summer programs the school has been open for about 2 months now.

No cases and we're pretty happy with the protocols being taken at the school.

The advantages of a small private school.

My son has been in school for 3 weeks so far. Including the summer programs the school has been open for about 2 months now.

No cases and we're pretty happy with the protocols being taken at the school.

The advantages of a small private school.

Same here. Fingers crossed it continues.

This has been a constant battle to figure out what to do over summer. We have decided to do remote learning for our daughter who is in K. My wife is pregnant and did not want to risk it and we both work from home as well, which helps. We anticipate cases to sky rocket once school kicks in high gear over the next month and school would be shut down anyway to remote learning.

Funny story about our homeschool experience: North Carolina requires you to register your homeschool, provide some documentation, etc. That process opened on July 1 and my wife went to register right away as we had already decided to homeschool. The website had so much activity July 1 that it crashed and didn’t become available for 8 days! Obviously lots of NC families were going the same path and setting up new homeschools. Such a strange world we are in.

I honestly don't know how folks can hold job, or be effective in their job if they have to also monitor kids at home. Anyone in a job that requires travel will probably have to resign. I thought masks worked so I'm not sure why teachers and students are in harm's way if they return to school.

Although I voted for our district to have the parents choose hybrid or a virtual format, the majority of my school board members voted virtual only. Mainly, the reason we had to go virtual only was too many teachers refused to work and were taking FMLA. I understand their fear, and they absolutely should have the choice of working or not. But, I didn’t agree with being forced to pay the teachers even if they decided not to work. Now, since we are virtual only we have had to furlough a good deal of other employees. Also, we are not providing bussing to private students, who are still attending school while paying their taxes nor have our IEP students a way to have their much needed individual teaching. It is a horrible situation.

That sucks. I remember you saying you resigned, but didn't want to ask why. Our local union has been very involved in the reopening plan, and the school district has been very cooperative. Basically whatever reasonable accommodations are being asked for by teachers are getting met. Those not comfortable coming back into the building are working from home. The kids are coming in either Mon/Thurs or Tues/Fri, with everyone remote on Wednesday. There is also a fully remote option for the kids.

My son just moved into the dorm for his freshman year of college. They are requiring masks everywhere on campus (even outside), with the only exception being in your own dorm room. No guests allowed in the dorms. I wonder how strictly this will be enforced. He has two classes in person - chemistry and something else, two that are remote, and one that is half and half.

College student here. They are handling it horribly and are royally ******* over students left and right with their remote ********. Ask me if it's going well.

P.S. I'm in school to become a teacher. Fantastic feeling being a year from graduation and watching your future profession disintegrate right in front of your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back