Back to the Future: Irons Played

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Another iron thread, yes, but hey they’re fun.

Of all the irons you’ve played, actually played not demo’d, what set could or would you go back to RIGHT NOW?

• Staff
I’m going to cheat because it’s my thread.

1a) Nike Vapor Pro Combo
1b) Bridgestone J40 DPC
1c) Nickent 4DX Pro

2011 Taylormade Tour Preferred MC irons

Mizuno mp5

Ping g15s were pretty good to me. Probably not a set that screams nostalgia, but they were the best in my short list of previous irons I have used over the years.

Bridgestone J40 DPC without a second thought. I actually almost bought a set a couple months and could have gamed the heck out of them.

Although I just switched to the Mavrik MAX irons and only played them once yesterday, my Wilson Di7 irons still feel really good to me. Who knows after some rounds I may think otherwise. I have only played with three different sets of irons so not much to pick from on my end.

If I had to pick a previous set, it would definitely be the Cobra F7 OL. Really liked the feel of those.

Apex 19 of course.

I am very happy with my current set of Apex Pro's but my original Ben Hogan PTx could go right back in play.

Titleist CB Irons...they were so sweet!!!

The fact that I really don’t want to put any previous iron in play is a testament to how much I love my Srixon’s. If I had to pick one it would be the Ping i3 Blade.

This is a what I've played:

Golden Ram Tour Grind Axial
Wilson Staff RM Midsize
Wilson Staff V4
Callaway CF16

I'd go back to the Wilson V4.

OG Apex from 2014. Those started the modern Apex line as we know it and are great irons.

Honorable mention would be the Adams CB3 Black Forged.

PING i25, without question. Would make that move without hesitation

Wilson V6 if I had to pick one

Speedblades.

OG Apex from 2014. Those started the modern Apex line as we know it and are great irons.

Honorable mention would be the Adams CB3 Black Forged.
The OG Apex is the one that comes to mind. It was the set I replaced my X-14s with.

Way back would be Ping Eye 2’s. One of the first sets I had. Favorite would probably be the OV Apex. First set that I also used graphite shafts in.

My first set of clubs were Maxfli's. Black dot maybe. I don't remember how I came into owning them.
My second set were EXP's. I thought they were copies but after seeing a set on ebay I see they weren't. Maybe.
My current set are Burner 2.0's.

I wouldn't go back to any previous set. I'd go forward to something that offers more forgiveness and technology.

My first set of irons were Ping Eyes 2. I would take them out for a spin again.

Bridgestone J15 CB
Nike Vapor Pro Combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogan Apex Edge Pro

I had some old Nike Machspeed irons that I gave to a buddy and I wish I could get them back. They weren't the longest irons, but I loved playing with them.

Back