Back to the Future: Irons Played

J15 CB's easily.

Callaway XR.

FG Tour V6. I could go back tomorrow and not miss a beat.

I’ll second the PING I3 blades.

Ping S56

Ping Eye 2. They were my dads and were standard and regular flex. Would be fun to play those again with my specs (1* up) and some stiff Elevate Tours!!

I've only had a few sets of irons, until fairly recently I just played the clubs I had for a really long time. I'd have to say that I could go back to my Taylormade Burner 2.0s though, I hit those pretty well, and they are still out in the garage.

Another iron thread, yes, but hey they’re fun.

Of all the irons you’ve played, actually played not demo’d, what set could or would you go back to RIGHT NOW?

Probably none. I mean, I moved on for a reason. Today's tech is so much better than past. Why would I want to play inferior stuff? That might change for one round or so. I have mentioned it'd be fun to play with some wooden woods and 60's-70's era irons, but there's no way I'd switch to inferior clubs for long term.

Would you? Really?

Titleist DCI

You know mine. Bridgestone J40 DPC

Callaway X-14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridgestone J40 CBs are in my bag right now.

I had some Wilson fat-shafts that I always regretted getting rid of.... well until my Apex 19:love:

Hogan Apex FTX

Callaway X14PS. I shot my career round with them. A couple of other sets I thought were very good were Titleist 762s which never got the love of the 962 but were a great club, Top Flite Tours another dramatically underrated iron and TM R7TPs. I know none of them are as good as the irons of today but I played some really good golf with all of those and I think I could play the X14s and 762s today.

Except for cosmetics, my present irons are the probably the best I've played.
If I wanted to play older ones, they're right in my basement.
I've got all of them going back decades.

However, if playing shots weren't an issue and I just wanted irons to bomb the ball as high and far as I could, the old and fairly ubiquitous Spalding Executives could blast the old Spalding Top Flites into space...with my body from forty-odd years ago, of course.

99 Hogan Apex #4 flex shafts. Easy answer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Another iron thread, yes, but hey they’re fun.

Of all the irons you’ve played, actually played not demo’d, what set could or would you go back to RIGHT NOW?
716 CB with Recoil 110/F4

Set PB three times with these in play.

My Taylormade Burner 2.0's would go right back in the bag.

My set of Fourteen TC-910. Not only were they great to hit but they also looked stunning!DA52D02B-3070-4245-AD12-EE2CDA790304.jpeg

KZG Forged Blades. Not the Z.O. model, the one before that.

They were remarkably forgiving for blades yet as versatile as any also. I owned 2 sets of them, one with DG 300 shafts and the other with Flighted Rifle.

Loved them but as this was during my peak club 'hoing days, everything in the bag was accepted as a temporary occupant.

I've seen the heads available here and there on ebay... I've been tempted.
a444e043efe71705802e4d4362c62845.jpg

Last edited:
Taylormade TP CB, loved that set with a stock KSB shaft

Mizuno MP-54's; sold them to a buddy who still plays them. They felt great when struck well. I moved on to Taylomade R9 TP's for a few years then Taylormade Speedblades which would be my second choice. I had a set of Mizuno blades for a while, forget the model, that I got for a few hundred bucks on eBay. They were fun to take to the range but I rarely gamed them.

Back