Backweighting in light of shaft extending, trade off worth it?

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Due to my age, SS of 95-100 and measurements by several manufacturers i prefer and get a longer carry with a slightly longer club and recently had 1 - 1.5 inches added to my driver (a Titleist 910 D3 that it is possible to alter head weight but I do not have the kit currently) fairway woods and a hybrid (all Titleist 2-4 years old models).

Thought appreciated on two things recognizing the SW (somewhere from 6-8 and the overall weight will both go up (have a Kali 63 gram Stiff shaft):

1) is it worth it to see a heavier grip to help counterbalance the club and potentially drop SW at least marginally - I tend to prefer a mid cord model. Also how much will 2 extra wraps of tape change the equation as i have large hands and fit a hook?

2) is it worth it to add a 1- 2 inch piece of lead tape or a lightweight backweight on or near the end of the shaft?

I have not backweighted clubs since my persimmon days (oh I used to love my Powerbilt and/or Hogan speedline clubs!) but apparently many tour and low handicap players do (I am a high single digit player with a short but very repeatable swing). As some additional background - I lengthened my 695 cb forged Titleist irons 1 inch but also changed to SL Senisciore gold shafts instead of Dynamic Gold and they feel fine with stock Titliest grips (but a little slippery when wet or hot so probably will change them soon to a half cord) and SW about D4 and if my woods were in the ball park of D4-D6 I sure it will not make a major difference in my game as i prefer usually a heavier feel.

Highest regards to any of you with insight on this complex tradeoff of overall weight vs. SW! For me I seem to play better with a heavier club, as I make a quick transition probably but recognize there is always a trade off.

Last edited:
I've done the lead tape at the end of the shaft thing but it's only good for a small adjustment in swingweight. A 3-inch long piece of 1/2-inch lead tape roughly equals 1 swingweight point.

I have used weight ports to get a substantial change in swingweight and they work very well. Here's a link: http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_BWP_A_cn_E_1895

They slip into the butt end of the shaft and are filled with lead or tungsten powder to varying degrees to get the backweighting you're after and they are sealed with a cork and a dab of epoxy. The good thing about these is that there's no change in grip thickness (as with tape wrapped around the shaft) and once the grip is on, they're completely hidden from view.

I'm not sure what the weight value of two wraps of grip tape is, but I'm sure that if you're looking to go down a few points, it would take more than just two wraps to do it.

Thanks for great response - I added about 8 inches of 1/2 tape onto the end of the graphite shaft extender + 2 extra 2 sided tape wraps + a full cord grip and the clubs all SW between D3-D5 and feel "balanced" and the driver and 3 wood actually feel lighter than before - and cannot wait to hit them and will tommorow. Can always pull off the tape on regrip if needed.

One nice thing is that the D910 440cc D3 head i believe will be slightly easier to square at impact with the extra length than some other models played (that also offer some workability) and we will see whether or not a "man of a certain" age can add some carry distance!

Back