Backyard Putting Green!!!

WMac19

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Work commenced yesterday, via Southwest Greens of Raleigh.

Size: 27 × 20 but actual dimension was subject to change as they go, contracted for 540 sq ft though.

I'll post some pics in following posts but I seemed to have lost the before shots, prior to removing trees.

At least this shot left of the fireplace (from real estate listing) shows a glimpse of how dense the area used to be:

6b04e15e6b93fab7fbb9e68b52fccf99.jpg

Last edited:
We cleared to this:

7a32f089d4ebf575fc593c1ae035301b.jpg
6e100cef8dbaa368914a5700b777fcef.jpg
5b803f6f0fee0ab24e313e7872299b63.jpg

The first day had a minor (MAJOR!!!) bit of controversy. The size was waaaaay off.

It was only at 25 × 16, can't have that!

Major as to my heart palpitations, minor because they moved to correct it instantly and without question.
03a70caf2e1aff075433aecf9bf77e33.jpg
abba9a43addb1784062f943910ffed82.jpg
ca33994c02ef6936dd3004fede400520.jpg

Today had them expanding and reshaping.

There's more contour to the shape than what shows in the pics. But they aren't dramatic as I elected to have it more bulbous at the one end in order to maximize size as to square footage.

It's actually now going to be 31' x 20' at longest/widest points. But because of the swallowing out closer to the house (18' down to 14', I think), the overall square footage should still be the same.

Great part is, if they go over it's on them. If it falls a bit under, they slash the price accordingly.
74734b12e65a4f474c799e1c090cd3bf.jpg
8bb02fdfbe121f1ce7c675b5b04bd5e6.jpg
8dca81a72e5b21cd4b45de4e2bd7ffed.jpg
6b6ee21c4d9a022468786b64869b9a6b.jpg

The mounding is because they had to cut short work on the day due to the tamping machine breaking down.

But they'll be back tomorrow to finish the base.

The pics don't at all show the contours as it just looks like a circular pile of stone. It's not, looks good in person and I can really see it taking shape.

There's been a small delay on the manufacturer's end wrt the material, fringe and putting surface. Notification though lists it as in transit and they hope it will be delivered either tomorrow or Thursday.

So far 15 tons of stone have been dropped, holy smokes...

Wow, looks great already!

looks great so far! Looking forward to seeing the progression

Nice progress already. Very jealous! Can't wait to see the finished product.

looks great. Progress photos are awesome

Thanks guys. Crazy week, son's college graduation Thursday, wife's family starts rolling in tomorrow.

Including my family, they'll be 15 people staying here! LOL...

As for the past two days, yesterday while they were working, I was tilling and seeding a large area where the Mrs wants wild-flowers. We're also gonna do the same with the open space behind the putting green.

Today I was stain-boy, in the garage staining new adirondack chairs. 6 hours to do two ottomans and one chair!

They're doing the green install yet I'm exhausted

Of course my wife is away on business in San Diego. That's one heckuva substantial and long distance honey-do list!

6 hours to do 2 ottomans and 1 chair?? I see that you're taking full advantage of the fact your wife is away. :D

They're making good progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

6 hours to do 2 ottomans and 1 chair?? I see that you're taking full advantage of the fact your wife is away. :D

They're making good progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
?

With an asterisk!

Furniture builder already applied water-seal yet said they'll still take a stain.

Not so much... progress is painfully slow just trying to coat evenly. Brutal.

Can't wait to see the finished product. I really want to do my own. The wife has already approved the green for our next house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15 tons of stone sounds like an amazing amount! Looking good so far..good luck with the chairs and congrats on the graduation!

Really cool, can't wait to see the finished product.

Looks like its going to be an amazing place to spend some lazy afternoons with a cool drink in hand.

Very nice indeed. Backyard goals for sure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That will be great once its finished, the surrounds will really set it off, I must ask why no one is doing there greens in grass is it just the low maintenance of synthetic that works better for a back garden

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Looks good, can't wait to see the finished result

That will be great once its finished, the surrounds will really set it off, I must ask why no one is doing there greens in grass is it just the low maintenance of synthetic that works better for a back garden

For a practice putting area in the garden I think synthetic is a good option as it is very low maintenance - I am actually looking in to it as well for at home, but the wife hasn't quite come round to the idea yet (despite playing golf herself) so I still need to convince her, although if I can't fully convince her I can always have the putting green turf laid and then get something like the PuttOut trainer to use as a target on it :D

The firm I have been looking at supply different types of synthetic turf including 2 putting green options which run at different speeds, although you could sand them to alter it if you wanted, but I reckon having it run at about a 9 on the stimp is going to be fairly reflective of the courses around here

I thought synthetic would be low maintenance and usable all year round like advertised, i think a real grass green would be a whole lot better, if you had the time to maintain it,

The ladies do love there gardens, think that could be a tough sell

Thanks, all!

15 tons of stone sounds like an amazing amount! Looking good so far..good luck with the chairs and congrats on the graduation!

Thank you on all counts, much appreciated!

This was all actually the brainstorm of my non-golfer wife. She only wants the green because of the entertainment and scenic value. She has this idea in mind of what she wants to do with the area... we'll see.

As excited I am, I'm also a little nervous because that work will be up to me. I already know that the green will be encircled by river rock and possibly slate stepping stones embedded within. And I've lobbied for longer, ornamental grasses, azaleas or other flowering bushes for outside the the band of rock to create an interesting backdrop and golf course feel. Will take time for all to mature, of course.

Gonna mean lots of rock and lots of soil and plenty of digging. I gotta somehow tap into my early 20's laborer former-self.

As for synthetic vs real? Yeah, as answered, maintenance is a huge determining factor. I'd also be so scared of the various diseases that can destroy a green. Between effort and continual cost, I don't think we'd ever be up to that challenge.

That is a very cool project! Those surroundings make it very unique and beautiful.

Wild Bushes/ Grasses in the background, while also looking good, serve another purpose equally as well....
#LessMaintenance

Yeah that's going to be cool. Cant wait to see progress

Back