Bad experience at a local muni.......

lemmiwinks

Mark it 8, Dude.
Reaction score
Handicap
This is going to be a long post but I'm still kinda fired up. Understand completely if ya skim or skip, haha.

So Friday, I decide to take my little guy out for another round of golf.
He's come with me about 3-4x in the past 6 weeks. He's 4, has a set of clubs for his size (D, 9i and putter). I decide to hit this little Par 3 Executive course down my way that I haven't been to in a few years. You have to walk (not an issue as I carried the little guys bag when he was tired), but it's pretty short (1200 yds).
Greens Fee is $13.00 for out of township player, no big deal.
I get there, my son is pumped. Loves playing golf. I go in and ask what the Jr. rate is. The guy looks at me like I have 6 eyes in my forehead. He's like we don't have one. I said ok, what can you do for me, he's 4 and I usually just tee him up about 30 yds from the green and let him play in. He says nothing, it's full price for both of us. I say ok - it's still about the same as 2 buckets and drinks at the range.
After I pay, the gentleman behind the counter says "You're gonna play best ball with him right?". To which I reply, "Whadya mean?". He then says that they're starting to get busy and he doesn't want us holding up play so I should tee off and then let him (my son) play from where I hit to. At this point, I'm thinking I should just ask for money back, go to a more accomodating course and be done with it. I didn't because T-storms were rolling in and I wanted to get some play in. Based on the fact that I paid a full green fee for him, I thought it was a bit out of line of to request that so I told him, I paid for a full round so he's playing for tee to green (not really cause I don't wanna be there for 5 hours), but you know what I mean.
I wish I could say that it got better from here and we had a great experience. Way wrong answer. On the 1st tee, I get paired up with 2 guys that came off from playing a round of 9 already, separately. One a young guy maybe 2 or 3 years younger than me and the other was a guy that was probably my dad's age. I say to both in the tee box, "If you wanna play ahead, go ahead. I'll wait till you clear the green and then go. I don't want to hold anyone up and he's just really learning the game." They both say, no big deal, so off we go.
Seeing that he's 4, there's only so much information he can retain. The main things I'm instilling in him right now are 1. Don't talk when someone is swinging 2. Don't touch other peoples balls (a lifelong lesson here on many levels and because he does like to "help" everyone get closer to the hole) 3. Always stand behind or to the side of someone when they're swinging. The younger guy thinks it's great. Telling him great shot, encouragement, etc. The older guy, not so much. I can tell he's annoyed by the 2nd green. I say, if both or either of you guys wanna play up, by all means. I won't be insulted and I don't want to hold up anyone. They both say no and we're off to number 3. After #4, you have to cross the road to play #5 and #6. The older gentleman (and I use that term loosely) decides he's skipping those two holes and is gonna play 7, 8 and 9. Sure, no problem. He proceeds to shake the younger gent's hand and says "Nice playing with ya" to him. Walks right passed me and my son without even a glance and keeps going off to #7. Me being me, I say "Hey nice playing with ya buddy", he turns and gives me a sideways glance and keep's going. I say to our other playing partner that if he wants to play up, go ahead and he was like no way, I don't mind. Your boy is a trip. Everytime he hits he takes a deep breath and says "ok, relax and 1. 2. 3." and hits. The guy laughed every time.

Sorry for the rant but this just really chapped my arse. Needless to say, I won't be going back there which is a shame because it's great for short game practice, but I'd rather pay $50+ and go to a course that's more accomodating for the kiddies and I can ride too.

This is going to be a long post but I'm still kinda fired up. Understand completely if ya skim or skip, haha.

So Friday, I decide to take my little guy out for another round of golf.
He's come with me about 3-4x in the past 6 weeks. He's 4, has a set of clubs for his size (D, 9i and putter). I decide to hit this little Par 3 Executive course down my way that I haven't been to in a few years. You have to walk (not an issue as I carried the little guys bag when he was tired), but it's pretty short (1200 yds).
Greens Fee is $13.00 for out of township player, no big deal.
I get there, my son is pumped. Loves playing golf. I go in and ask what the Jr. rate is. The guy looks at me like I have 6 eyes in my forehead. He's like we don't have one. I said ok, what can you do for me, he's 4 and I usually just tee him up about 30 yds from the green and let him play in. He says nothing, it's full price for both of us. I say ok - it's still about the same as 2 buckets and drinks at the range.
After I pay, the gentleman behind the counter says "You're gonna play best ball with him right?". To which I reply, "Whadya mean?". He then says that they're starting to get busy and he doesn't want us holding up play so I should tee off and then let him (my son) play from where I hit to. At this point, I'm thinking I should just ask for money back, go to a more accomodating course and be done with it. I didn't because T-storms were rolling in and I wanted to get some play in. Based on the fact that I paid a full green fee for him, I thought it was a bit out of line of to request that so I told him, I paid for a full round so he's playing for tee to green (not really cause I don't wanna be there for 5 hours), but you know what I mean.
I wish I could say that it got better from here and we had a great experience. Way wrong answer. On the 1st tee, I get paired up with 2 guys that came off from playing a round of 9 already, separately. One a young guy maybe 2 or 3 years younger than me and the other was a guy that was probably my dad's age. I say to both in the tee box, "If you wanna play ahead, go ahead. I'll wait till you clear the green and then go. I don't want to hold anyone up and he's just really learning the game." They both say, no big deal, so off we go.
Seeing that he's 4, there's only so much information he can retain. The main things I'm instilling in him right now are 1. Don't talk when someone is swinging 2. Don't touch other peoples balls (a lifelong lesson here on many levels and because he does like to "help" everyone get closer to the hole) 3. Always stand behind or to the side of someone when they're swinging. The younger guy thinks it's great. Telling him great shot, encouragement, etc. The older guy, not so much. I can tell he's annoyed by the 2nd green. I say, if both or either of you guys wanna play up, by all means. I won't be insulted and I don't want to hold up anyone. They both say no and we're off to number 3. After #4, you have to cross the road to play #5 and #6. The older gentleman (and I use that term loosely) decides he's skipping those two holes and is gonna play 7, 8 and 9. Sure, no problem. He proceeds to shake the younger gent's hand and says "Nice playing with ya" to him. Walks right passed me and my son without even a glance and keeps going off to #7. Me being me, I say "Hey nice playing with ya buddy", he turns and gives me a sideways glance and keep's going. I say to our other playing partner that if he wants to play up, go ahead and he was like no way, I don't mind. Your boy is a trip. Everytime he hits he takes a deep breath and says "ok, relax and 1. 2. 3." and hits. The guy laughed every time.

Sorry for the rant but this just really chapped my arse. Needless to say, I won't be going back there which is a shame because it's great for short game practice, but I'd rather pay $50+ and go to a course that's more accomodating for the kiddies and I can ride too.

1. When I have kids and I get told this at my course I won't have a kind answer because I want to know who let the tour guy behind the counter since he can see everyones swing inside a clubhouse instead of giving kids a chance. Little things like this fire me up since I'm still young.

2.A guy like this is just a jerk if he can't handle shaking a guys hand and saying "thanks but not thanks" then he's a low life and is on top of his own world.

Sorry if I'm coming off strong but I get sensitive when I hear stories about young kids and people thinking their better than everyone else.

Walks right passed me and my son without even a glance and keeps going off to #7. Me being me, I say "Hey nice playing with ya buddy", he turns and gives me a sideways glance and keep's going.

And that, my friends, is a textbook definition of the term "douche".

2. Don't touch other peoples balls (a lifelong lesson here on many levels and because he does like to "help" everyone get closer to the hole)

I lol'ed :D

Sounds like the "old" dude was a big jerk. Which I find a little weird, since I'll run into like 20 old people in a week with my daughter in tow around town running errands or something and they always take the time to ask how old she is, comment on how cute she is, (lucky for us she looks like her mother!), or just give her a smile and tell her hi.

Luckily it sounds like the younger guy was more down to earth and that's the kind of experience you want your son to have with a playing partner.

Overall I guess it's a life lesson, but I totally understand what you're saying and where you are coming from. I hope I have decent experience once my two year old daughter wants to hit the course. Tell the little man to hang in there!

The old guy might have been ticked off because your 4 year old had a better swing than he did.....!

I think it's great you are getting him started so soon.
Are you thinking of lessons for him yet?

Some people have no class. Good for you and your son.
"ok, relax and 1. 2. 3."... I love it!

That sucks, hopefully you're boy didn't pick up on any of it and get a bad impression of the game of golf. I'm guessing at 4 yrs old he probably didn't, but if he felt there were mean people there he might not be so inclined to want to go back. I would say that you were definitely a fine gentleman through all that and offered your playing partners to go ahead, if that old dude was so annoyed then he could/should have just gone on from the word go.

I say to hell with them, keep having fun with your son but maybe at a course that's a little more accommodating to junior golfers.

Some people have no class. Good for you and your son.
"ok, relax and 1. 2. 3."... I love it!

Haha I agree the 1.2.3 was my favorite part of the story! Greatness

Tap tap taparoo

It is great that you are getting him out there. My dad always takes my sister (she is 5) with us. She plays the same way. People will always be jerks. I'm 16 and still get dirty looks from a lot of people when I play.

Wow. Maybe it's because I've only been playing a few years, but I don't think I've ever seen that kind of behavior (at least from the players). Most people I get paired with when coming across a youngster are very encouraging of them and I try to be the same. I'm out to have fun and I hope I let the game be fun for everyone else too, regardless of age and ability.

Now, course employees, that's a whole different story. There are a few courses I won't be going back to anytime soon and I've let the managers know that and why...

When I learned the game from my dad I was 11 but I could barely hit the ball straight and for the first year or so we played pitch n' putt courses and then "graduated" to an Executive Nine and he wouldn't let me near a full-size course until he was sure I wouldn't be holding everyone up. I also remember my first eighteen hole outing with my dad (when I was about thirteen) and the pro at the course wanted to see me swing and hit some balls before he'd let me out. By then I had developed a decent swing and could hit a ball pretty well, but neither I nor my dad thought there was anything unreasonable about that request.

I think that very young kids out on a pitch n' putt course are fine (how else will they learn the game?).

But I DO however think that if you take a 4-year-old out on anything longer, you'd have to expect some comments and some attitude. That may not seem fair, but it IS realistic.

Sounds like the guy you played with was a jackass but, OTOH, a busy course is no place for a 4-year-old. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Some people are just miserable and there is nothing you can do about it. The most important thing is that you had fun with your son. Everything else is irrelevant. You behaved like a gentleman and some day your son will follow in your footsteps.

Sounds like the guy you played with was a jackass but, OTOH, a busy course is no place for a 4-year-old. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Are you the dude I was paired with? :act-up:
Seriously, it's a $13 par 3 executive muni.
Some of the greens were so bad, the guy who stuck with us and I both conceded 2 putts from our spot.
There was no one behind us.
How many golf coursese aren't busy in the summer?
You can only take a kid to the driving range so many times.
I've had him out about 4-6 times and when there's people waiting, we pick up and move to the next hole or I waive them through.

Sorry if I'm coming off strong but I get sensitive when I hear stories about young kids and people thinking their better than everyone else.
Trust me man, I was all kinds of fired up when I got home

The old guy might have been ticked off because your 4 year old had a better swing than he did.....!
He actually did train about a 15 footer. It was awesome.
He jumped up and yelled "Alright, hole in one!!!!"

I think it's great you are getting him started so soon.
Are you thinking of lessons for him yet?
Not this year for lessons.
I just want him to have fun with it and not be "that dad".
It's time I get to spend with him that I know I'll never forget and hopefully it's the same for him.

That sucks, hopefully you're boy didn't pick up on any of it and get a bad impression of the game of golf. I'm guessing at 4 yrs old he probably didn't, but if he felt there were mean people there he might not be so inclined to want to go back. I would say that you were definitely a fine gentleman through all that and offered your playing partners to go ahead, if that old dude was so annoyed then he could/should have just gone on from the word go.

I say to hell with them, keep having fun with your son but maybe at a course that's a little more accommodating to junior golfers.
Doesn't even remember it.
All he said was "Where's that guy going?"
I said to a different hole and he said "Ok Daddy, Can I have a juice box?"
Nothing fazes this kid.

When I learned the game from my dad I was 11 but I could barely hit the ball straight and for the first year or so we played pitch n' putt courses and then "graduated" to an Executive Nine and he wouldn't let me near a full-size course until he was sure I wouldn't be holding everyone up. I also remember my first eighteen hole outing with my dad (when I was about thirteen) and the pro at the course wanted to see me swing and hit some balls before he'd let me out. By then I had developed a decent swing and could hit a ball pretty well, but neither I nor my dad thought there was anything unreasonable about that request.

I think that very young kids out on a pitch n' putt course are fine (how else will they learn the game?).

But I DO however think that if you take a 4-year-old out on anything longer, you'd have to expect some comments and some attitude. That may not seem fair, but it IS realistic.

Don't have any pitch and putts near me. If I was a doucher about it I'd understand static. But I was up front on the first tee and after a couple holes. I honestly don't think it's realist to expect attitude and comments. Coming off our round, there were several older people who had finished up before us and were giving him great encouragment: "Here comes the next champ!", "Bet you beat the pants of your Dad!". I've never had a problem at the 3 other courses I've taken him to.

Even with it being only $13 I would left when he said going to charge my 4 YEAR OLD to play. I would have just went to the range. Thankfully where I play kids under certain age are welcome to play and ride for free with an adult. I also can't stand places that charge a cart fee for riders. I just hope when people are taking their kids they pay attention to groups coming up and let them play through.

Even with it being only $13 I would left when he said going to charge my 4 YEAR OLD to play. I would have just went to the range. Thankfully where I play kids under certain age are welcome to play and ride for free with an adult. I also can't stand places that charge a cart fee for riders. I just hope when people are taking their kids they pay attention to groups coming up and let them play through.

Normally I would have but we get horrid storms later in the morning and afternoon and I wanted to get some play in.
Unfortunately everywhere I've taken him has charged me some sort of Jr's rate or cart fee to bring him along. I'm not that torn up about it cause I only take him to courses that are in this discount book: http://www.golfingforeu.com/default.aspx, so it's not a bad offset.
Plus I always tell them when setting up my tee time that I have a 4 year old and make sure they're receptive to that. This place though doesn't take tee times so there was no one to really talk to.

Are you the dude I was paired with? :act-up:
Seriously, it's a $13 par 3 executive muni.
Some of the greens were so bad, the guy who stuck with us and I both conceded 2 putts from our spot.
There was no one behind us.
How many golf coursese aren't busy in the summer?
You can only take a kid to the driving range so many times.
I've had him out about 4-6 times and when there's people waiting, we pick up and move to the next hole or I waive them through.

There are plenty of times that courses aren't busy during the summer. Twilight, during the heat of the day, etc. I'm not against letting kids play, but I wouldn't consider it unless there were no groups within at least 2-3 holes of us. Even then I would only let the boy hit a few tee balls and then possibly chip and putt like the guy who took your money suggested. I don't know of strangers who would want to play tee-to-green with a 4-year-old, even on the worst goat ranch course of all-time. And I wouldn't expect anyone to.

And you didn't say anything in your first post about nobody being behind you. You quoted the guy taking your money as saying the course was "getting busy."

Dang Lemme. I understand some golfers reservations but you gave the option to play on and the course wasn't busy. I for one am a fan of seeing kids out there and I haven't come across a situation yet where anyone was held up because of it. You were as upfront as you could be.

Don't have any pitch and putts near me. If I was a doucher about it I'd understand static. But I was up front on the first tee and after a couple holes. I honestly don't think it's realist to expect attitude and comments. Coming off our round, there were several older people who had finished up before us and were giving him great encouragment: "Here comes the next champ!", "Bet you beat the pants of your Dad!". I've never had a problem at the 3 other courses I've taken him to.

I realize that this is something of a delicate topic and it's not my intention to turn it into an argument or to offend you or anyone else, but there is another side to this that I feel needs to be addressed.

I think that saying you were "being up front about it" implies that you're giving someone a choice, but you're really not. I mean, if they had said something like, "I'd rather not play with a 4-year-old", would you be any less upset?. Most people in that situation will be polite and grudgingly accept it so as not to start any arguments or hurt any feelings, but deep down they're not happy about it and that showed itself later in the round and I can't honestly say that I blame them. Maybe that one guy could have handled it more politely but I understand his frustration.

I think that 4-years old is a bit young to be out on a golf course especially when a driving range and practice green would equal the same thing to someone that young. If after a couple of seasons learning to hit the ball and move it forward in a predictable way, you feel he's competent enough to keep things moving out on a golf course, then by all means take him out. But I really can't see too many people getting excited about being paired up with someone with a 4-year-old in tow.

Really sucks that this is how you (and your son) were treated on this muni but you truly acted the gentleman and I'm sure your son will soon follow in your footsteps.

My son just turned 12 and is just now starting to fall in love with the game. He comes out to the range with me most times when I go and has been out with me recently for a couple of rounds. When the course is slow, there's no one behind us and there's no water to hit over, I've let him tee it up and play a couple of holes with me so he can get a feel for being out on the course since we all know that the range and the course are totally different. This week, he played a full 18 with me and two buddies teeing up from the 150-yard marker (more or less depending on par for each hole).

I continue to look for places to bring him so that he can learn and develop while not getting frustrated so the last thing I want is a place where they won't even accomodate him. Regardless, I commend you for getting him out there and continuing to be a role model for him.

Definitely wouldn't go back to that muni!

I think that 4-years old is a bit young to be out on a golf course especially when a driving range and practice green would equal the same thing to someone that young. If after a couple of seasons learning to hit the ball and move it forward in a predictable way, you feel he's competent enough to keep things moving out on a golf course, then by all means take him out. But I really can't see too many people getting excited about being paired up with someone with a 4-year-old in tow.

Disagree.

He said he was going to let him hit in from 30 yards off the green until they told him he was going to have to pay full price. I have played with a few guys with their kids that did exactly this same thing and I enjoyed every minute of it. To see a little kid get genuinely excited over hitting a good shot or a good putt is a wonderful thing to experience. It makes you remember why we love this crazy game in the first place and how we used to feel the same way when we first started.
I have played with kids that had better on course behavior than some of the "adults" i have played with.
It is not the same to go to a driving range as it is to play a round. Kids love golf carts, lakes, scenery, putting the flagstick in the hole, etc...
I personally cannot wait until my little one is old enough to hit the course with me. Just like my Dad who took me when I was little and his Dad took him. I truly believe this is how golf is going to suceed in the future. You pass it on to your kids. They see your love of the game and if you nurture it, it will grow in them as well.

I will now step down off of my soapbox....

Back