wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I just walked into a local golf store looking for a wedge. There was a guy looking to get fit and even before he took one swing the fitter said “I’m looking at you and you are probably 1” over standard and 2 deg up”.

I’ve been to a few different fitters over the years and did this to me and sure enough that’s what I was fit in. Yet, when I get a proper fit, I’m not this and it all depends on what it “standard” in the clubs I get fit into.

It makes my blood boil because it’s so lazy. The non-informed golfer thinks that they are in a set that is perfect for them but in reality they might as well grab something off the rack.

How can you even start to fit without putting a club in ones hand or swing a club or even take some baseline measurements? Then golfers wonder why their “custom” fitted clubs don’t work any better than what was replaced.

Rant over.

this is exactly why I have golf trust issues.

I just walked into a local golf store looking for a wedge. There was a guy looking to get fit and even before he took one swing the fitter said “I’m looking at you and you are probably 1” over standard and 2 deg up”.

I’ve been to a few different fitters over the years and did this to me and sure enough that’s what I was fit in. Yet, when I get a proper fit, I’m not this and it all depends on what it “standard” in the clubs I get fit into.

It makes my blood boil because it’s so lazy. The non-informed golfer thinks that they are in a set that is perfect for them but in reality they might as well grab something off the rack.

How can you even start to fit without putting a club in ones hand or swing a club or even take some baseline measurements? Then golfers wonder why their “custom” fitted clubs don’t work any better than what was replaced.

Rant over.
Agree with you on this. More of a disservice if anything.

Here's an example from years ago when the Apex first came out. I was looking at them and the "fitter" at Golf Galaxy came up to me and said "I'm guessing you are +1 and 2 deg up?" I had not been fitted in a while so we went though the fitting process. First sign that I should have ran was when he took me into the TaylorMade fitting bay despite there being a fully built out Callaway Performance Center in the store - every shaft and head combo imaginable. Sure enough, I was fit into a set of Apex 1" over standard and 2 deg up. Also, he put me in a 95 gram, stiff shaft.

This was a big reason I started to educate myself on golf club building. After getting them, they felt off and didn't perform any better than the X-14s they replaced. Then another fitter measured my driver Swing Speed at 111 MPH and asked why in the heck I was playing 95 gram stiff shafts... He recommended KBS C-Taper 120 shafts, which I installed myself and only went 0.5" over standard. He then adjusted the lie and I finally saw the performance I expected.

Wow, that sounds like the local Ping deal up here. Was looking at a putter last year while I was in his shop, he said I needed 35 1/2 " blade with lots of toe hang after 2 putts on his carpet. The mind blowing stuff is I had just been to a putter fitting 3 weeks before and been fit into a 33" face balanced SL DW. in a 11/2hr. fitting. Just amazing how some places do stuff. ?

Glad I read this & will keep this in mind,, since I'm hopefully going here in the next couple of weeks to get fitted. We only have 1 place that I'm aware of to get fitted here or I have to drive 4 hours to either Denver or SLC.

I got fitted last week...The guy said you stand upright and I see 1/2 inch longer and 1 degree upright....I just shut up and let it play out....I have been measured 3 times prior and all my measurements SHOUT average....So anyway as we worked thru the session...He never went back to his original diagnosis and said several times. Yea, You are average...arm hang length, hand size, finger length, bottom of club on board swing...So I just grinned and agreed. What we worked on which was what I was searching for was spin rates with different shafts and flexes. All worked out well...but ya never know.

Hmmmm cause that is what I was told!?
It doesn't mean that you aren't.
Glad I read this & will keep this in mind,, since I'm hopefully going here in the next couple of weeks to get fitted. We only have 1 place that I'm aware of to get fitted here or I have to drive 4 hours to either Denver or SLC.
If the fitter doesn't start with you hitting your own clubs to establish a baseline, then he is a salesman, not a club fitter.

If the fitter doesn't start with you hitting your own clubs to establish a baseline, then he is a salesman, not a club fitter.

Bingo! (y)

It doesn't mean that you aren't.

This is just 1 of the reasons I enjoy THP so much. I appreciate this info so much. I have played since I was a teenager, but have not really taken it seriously until this last year.

This is why we must educate ourselves. Fitters get a bad name and golfers grow in mistrust. Before I signed for my iron fitting next week, I did some research on the fitters and was able to select the fitter that I think will do the best for me. I plan to make his experience pleasant so he can do his job and use his experience to help me. If it doesn't go right, I am sure I will be able to make that judgment.

I've had experience both ways. I think it's worth being educated at least a little bit when walking into a fitter. I've certainly had those that didn't know me and just fit me into basic configurations, or defaulted to upright due to my height. This happens everywhere, even in the establishments that tout a 'tour fitting experience'. Best fitting I've ever had was when my fitter and my coach talked about my current swing and where we were headed from a swing perspective.

I also think it's important for a fitting to be a conversation about likes, habits, etc. For instance, I was at a great fitter who looked at the numbers and had just about made up his mind about weight & flex. I told him I prefer a heavier shaft. He said that my launch numbers were perfect, but we'd give it a shot. Low and behold we ended up in a heavier shaft that got extremely similar numbers with an improved dispersion. Its great to keep an open mind, but also never hurts to let them know what you think & what's worked for you ON THE COURSE.

In my experience, having now been to a proper fitting, most fitters are rubbish. Most of my fittings have been like probably the vast majority...... measure from my fingertips to the floor, hit off a lie board. Better than nothing maybe, but having always been fit into clubs of standard length and lie, like 95% of other golfers as I was told at the time, I then went for a fitting at Taylor Made. The guy couldn’t give 2 hoots about my height or how I stood at address. All he was concerned about was impact. I was fitted into 1/2 inch long 2 degree upright clubs. The trackman and my ball flight confirmed this was a proper fitting for me. Although they often try their best, box stores aren’t the place for a decent fitting in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, having now been to a proper fitting, most fitters are rubbish. Most of my fittings have been like probably the vast majority...... measure from my fingertips to the floor, hit off a lie board. Better than nothing maybe, but having always been fit into clubs of standard length and lie, like 95% of other golfers as I was told at the time, I then went for a fitting at Taylor Made. The guy couldn’t give 2 hoots about my height or how I stood at address. All he was concerned about was impact. I was fitted into 1/2 inch long 2 degree upright clubs. The trackman and my ball flight confirmed this was a proper fitting for me. Although they often try their best, box stores aren’t the place for a decent fitting in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have read both bad and good about fitters. So much so that it almost seems like a coin toss. The local Club Champion has excellent reviews and some of the area pro shops have fitters that have good reviews. I wish there were some way to assure that each of us get good fitting for our money, but it is what it is. The best we can do is at least share our experiences so that it might help others.

Rant over.
Nothing wrong with that statement if that is the beginning of the fitting and the fitter wants to start the customer in those specs (based on the person’s physical characteristics) and see where the numbers land. obviously you need to start somewhere, but the fitting needs to move from there.

I honestly don’t feel like I’ve gotten a good, INTERACTIVE fitting...after I am recovered from this surgery, I plan to look for a reputable fitter...

I contacted a pro that I respect that said he does fittings. I told him the situation that I was looking to get fit for a set of Cobra clubs and that they will be sending me the clubs. He replied that it was no problem and said that they only have Pings but a “fitting is a fitting” and he charges $75.

that doesn’t sound right at all. If he doesn’t have cobra clubs, how would a fitting be a fitting? I wouldn’t know the feel or gapping or dispersion or really anything on the Cobras.

I contacted a pro that I respect that said he does fittings. I told him the situation that I was looking to get fit for a set of Cobra clubs and that they will be sending me the clubs. He replied that it was no problem and said that they only have Pings but a “fitting is a fitting” and he charges $75.

that doesn’t sound right at all. If he doesn’t have cobra clubs, how would a fitting be a fitting? I wouldn’t know the feel or gapping or dispersion or really anything on the Cobras.

Rant over.
GG in Santa Clara?

So many bad fitters out there, and even worse is that people take their word for truth.
#GetEducated before you #GetFit

So many bad fitters out there, and even worse is that people take their word for truth.
#GetEducated before you #GetFit
This is why I say you have to study up, read reviews, talk to people, and so on, to make your fitting the best it can be for the money you spend. This will be my first fitting for irons and I don't have a ton of expectation, but there is a level of what I do expect for the hourly rate I am paying. A lot of a fitting also depends on the expectation you set on it. If you need work on your swing, then consider that and don't expect the fitter to fix that. Sure they may give advice, but you have to fix your swing.

Some fitters act like they don't even have time for you. When that happens, forget it, because that shows me they are there just to check the boxes. That will get them a poor review. CC in this area seems to stay fairly well booked and I did not find a bad review, except a few felt the match up wasn't the best it could be for the money spent, which I understand.

I did have somewhat of a driver fitting last year which was ok, and at the time was best for my game. Since then I have learned how to figure out the driver for myself for the most part and so far the changes I have made have worked well for me. I have a small launch monitor, hitting net, mirror, video, etc., that I practice with, and know when things are not working right where the driver is concerned. For me, driver, wedge, and putter I don't need to invest in fitting for those as I can work through those.

There are no standard for length or lie anymore whether it’s irons or drivers so a fitter has to now adjust for this.

I don’t trust most fitters or their process. I wanted to have a fitting at the Club Champion that is 3 miles from my house but the guy I met when I went in there was so condescending and rude that I will never go back. I might try out the new PXG store that is also just a few miles away when it opens this spring.

I’ve been fit professionally twice for irons and both times I was put in the wrong shaft weight/flex. I’ve always trusted my own eyes and on course results are the only way for me to tweak things so they are perfect. I simply don’t hit the ball the same way during a round than I do on the range or a hitting bay.

I wanted to have a fitting at the Club Champion that is 3 miles from my house but the guy I met when I went in there was so condescending and rude that I will never go back.
This is something that I simply don't tolerate and I would probably let the company management know about it. We work hard for our money and the last thing we need is rude and condescending.

There are no standard for length or lie anymore whether it’s irons or drivers so a fitter has to now adjust for this.

I don’t trust most fitters or their process. I wanted to have a fitting at the Club Champion that is 3 miles from my house but the guy I met when I went in there was so condescending and rude that I will never go back. I might try out the new PXG store that is also just a few miles away when it opens this spring.

I’ve been fit professionally twice for irons and both times I was put in the wrong shaft weight/flex. I’ve always trusted my own eyes and on course results are the only way for me to tweak things so they are perfect. I simply don’t hit the ball the same way during a round than I do on the range or a hitting bay.
sounds like you’re in a good location if you have so many choices.

sounds like you’re in a good location if you have so many choices.

Minneapolis is a crazy good place to be a golfer(for 7 months,lol). MN has the most or second most golfers per capita and we have a lot of choices whether its courses, private clubs, or specialty golf stores. There is another place here a few miles from my house where I’ve had a putting lesson called Totally Driven. They do professional fittings including SAM Lab, coaching, and golf fitness programs. The have memberships that include access to 5 Trackman hitting bays and a gym. One of my buddies did the 6 month coaching/fitness program there a couple years ago and dropped his index from a 10.5 to a 4 and he would be lower if he had the time to play more than 35 rounds a year. I’ll start regular putting lessons there in March or April and next winter I’m planning on signing up for their 3 month program.

86B514C1-4F3E-47B5-A032-4B93965A387A.png

Back