#Bag Battle 5I/H spot in the bag

mancest

Went to the Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So in my quest to find the right club for me in the 5I/5H spot I have brought in 4 contenders to figure out which is the best option. Quickly about me: slow swing speed, not great swing and have been working on the swing for quite a while, and plan to keep working on it. Have an 11.3 GHIN mostly do my wedge game and putting. Ideally I am looking for something that launches high and is easy to hit.

the 4 contenders:

1. Titleist 718 AP3 5I w/Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Stiff, 37.75" 25*
2. Cobra King F7 One 5I w/KBS Tour 90 Stiff, 37.5" 23*
3. Cobra King F8 5H w/Aldila Rogue 75 Stiff, 37.5" 25*
4. Cleveland Launcher HB 5I w/TTDG 98 Stiff, 37.75" 24*

Not the same shaft, but other than the Hybrid, fairly similar profiles.

Will add some photos, feed back and data in some other posts shortly.

Sounds like a hybrid could be your best bet.
Have you tried any utility irons? There are so many great utility irons out there that could get you the height/distance and not too hard to hit.
Good luck, Roger!

First thoughts:

Looks in order of how I prefer them:

Titleist Ap3
Cobra F7 5I
Cobra F8 58
Cleveland Launcher HB

Preference in terms of sound/feel:
Cobra F7 5I
Titleist AP3 5I
Cobra F8 5H
Cleveland Launcher HB 5I

Performance at the range today, this include average carry, ball speed, forgiveness on mishits, and this is only from today hitting about 10 balls with each.

Cleveland Launcher HB 5I
Cobra F7 5I
Cobra F8 5H
Titleist AP3

And the Launcher was by far the standout. Maybe it was the recent news of what I will be doing the 3rd weekend in April, but every shot I hit with the Cleveland was solid. Cobra 5I wasn't far behind, but with lower launch.

Cobra F8 was confounding as a couple had the highest speed, but the flight was low and it felt like every one I hit was low or toey, or worse yet low and toey. The AP3 was just brutal. Hit maybe 2 good shots with it in 10 and the launch was low and I would be real concerned about holding a green with them particularly when it warms up around here.

The Launcher goes in the bag tomorrow but will be back at it again next week as I want to see the differences between all 4 of these clubs over the next several weeks than figure what goes in my bag for a while.

Sounds like a hybrid could be your best bet.
Have you tried any utility irons? There are so many great utility irons out there that could get you the height/distance and not too hard to hit.
Good luck, Roger!

I thought the F8 one length would be the ticket, and I have tried the Hogan VKTR 26* hybrid, but it spun too much for me and the distance was about the same as my 6 iron. I also had an X2 Hot 5H but there were times I hit that as far or farther than the X2 Hot 4H I had in the bag.

The Cleveland and Cobra 5I are pretty much utility irons (hollow body irons designed to launch the ball higher) and are quite a bit cheaper than ordering one of the X-Forged utility irons or some of the other options.

Figure this battle might be interesting to some people on here who are launch and speed challenged like me.

Couple pics:

Left to right: F8, Launcher HB, F7 One, Ap3

0acc1c08887dd3c32578ecd4d28087f5.jpg

L to R: AP3, F7 One, Launcher HB, F8

003dfd9c92abe963e9b317437957727f.jpg

I thought the F8 one length would be the ticket, and I have tried the Hogan VKTR 26* hybrid, but it spun too much for me and the distance was about the same as my 6 iron. I also had an X2 Hot 5H but there were times I hit that as far or farther than the X2 Hot 4H I had in the bag.

The Cleveland and Cobra 5I are pretty much utility irons (hollow body irons designed to launch the ball higher) and are quite a bit cheaper than ordering one of the X-Forged utility irons or some of the other options.

Figure this battle might be interesting to some people on here who are launch and speed challenged like me.

how about this?
Cobra-King-Utility-2.jpg

This club launched too high for me and that's the only reason why I didn't go with it.

I've heard nothing but good stuff on the HB. Hope that works well for you, friend.

how about this?
Cobra-King-Utility-2.jpg

This club launched too high for me and that's the only reason why I didn't go with it.

I've heard nothing but good stuff on the HB. Hope that works well for you, friend.

i almost ordered one of those last year but the loft range is more 3/4 iron than 5I. I love my current 4H (depending on how this testing goes I might end up ordering a 26* at some point off of CPO) so really trying to find that gap between hybrids down to irons. Hopefully work in the gym and on the range will get the swing speed up to where this isn't such a tough spot in the bag, but that is going to take a while and it is so much easier to blame it on the clubs...

I'm looking forward to following along with this Roger. I'm kind of surprised the F8 One didn't stand out more for you. It will be interesting to see what you end up with.

I'm looking forward to following along with this Roger. I'm kind of surprised the F8 One didn't stand out more for you. It will be interesting to see what you end up with.

I hit a couple great ones with it in my time, but otherwise I have not made great contact and seen lower launch. I am thinking it might be a set up deal (not to mention my swing) where I am playing it further forward in my stance when I should be playing it a little further back. Not giving up on it, but loved what I am seeing with the HB 5I.

That Cleveland looks bloody horrible. If it works though. As someone who seems to have the same sort of swing speed as me, I would have thought a hybrid of some sort in the 5 iron slot was a no brainer.

#FiberLaunch

try the 25*steelhead hybrid. I use it when I get in a funk with my 5 iron. So easy to hit, but goes a little to far for me in this spot. If they made a lefty 6, it would be in the bag

First thoughts:

Looks in order of how I prefer them:

Titleist Ap3
Cobra F7 5I
Cobra F8 58
Cleveland Launcher HB

Preference in terms of sound/feel:
Cobra F7 5I
Titleist AP3 5I
Cobra F8 5H
Cleveland Launcher HB 5I

Performance at the range today, this include average carry, ball speed, forgiveness on mishits, and this is only from today hitting about 10 balls with each.

Cleveland Launcher HB 5I
Cobra F7 5I
Cobra F8 5H
Titleist AP3

I know you said the Cleveland performed well, but I'm surprised you didn't go with the cobra F7. You said it was right behind the Cleveland and you actually liked the look/sound/feel of it.

I know you said the Cleveland performed well, but I'm surprised you didn't go with the cobra F7. You said it was right behind the Cleveland and you actually liked the look/sound/feel of it.

Performance is all that matters for me right now. I played the F7 for 6 months so I know what it can do. The Cleveland was just too good to not put in the bag.

There will most likely be weekly reevaluations until there is a confirmed winner for me.

How often do you use this particular club? When you do use it, is it off the tee or for various shots around the course? I say go with whichever club will not only perform, but give you the most versatility. Just my two cents

I have the set of Launcher HB's from the Shootout and rotate them with my Steelheads. I seem to get along with the SH w/Recoil shafts a little better but I replaced the SH 5 with the HB 5i. It is just as long as the SH but consistently straighter.

Side question, were you using a launch monitor of some kind to get numbers on the range?

How often do you use this particular club? When you do use it, is it off the tee or for various shots around the course? I say go with whichever club will not only perform, but give you the most versatility. Just my two cents

I hit it 3 times today, all from the fairway or rough. If I play the next set of tees back (which I will in some tournaments) it might be used from the tee once or twice. Besides my 2 drivers, I need to be able to hit every club in my bag from the deck or out of light rough. If I can't use it there I don't really care if it is good from the tee only.

Definitely not over, but the Launcher HB impressed today. Mentioned in the previous post that I hit it 3 times, but I think I actually hit if 4 times. 2 were solid strikes and the results were really good (both set me up for my only birdies of the day) and the other two were caught a touch heavy. Both of these went slightly shorter (as expected) but not nearly as much as my set 5I would have, and both were very playable letting me make par on both holes.

It is for sure going to be in my bag for my tournament Saturday, then will do a more testing Sunday at the range.

Definitely not over, but the Launcher HB impressed today. Mentioned in the previous post that I hit it 3 times, but I think I actually hit if 4 times. 2 were solid strikes and the results were really good (both set me up for my only birdies of the day) and the other two were caught a touch heavy. Both of these went slightly shorter (as expected) but not nearly as much as my set 5I would have, and both were very playable letting me make par on both holes.

It is for sure going to be in my bag for my tournament Saturday, then will do a more testing Sunday at the range.

seems like that Launcher HB is treating you well, would you consider getting a full set in April? or half a set?

seems like that Launcher HB is treating you well, would you consider getting a full set in April? or half a set?

I would consider a full set, but if I could I would go 5-7I in HB then more of a traditional GI iron in the 8-GW, or 8-PW with CBX gap wedge.

I am giddy at the thoughts of what we will be seeing in a couple months...

I would consider a full set, but if I could I would go 5-7I in HB then more of a traditional GI iron in the 8-GW, or 8-PW with CBX gap wedge.

that sounds like a fun setup.

I can't wait to see what we'll see, their current line up looks fantastic, but I wouldn't be opposed to a new release.

If I were looking at a 5 iron, 5 hybrid or something similar, I would put the Titleist 25 degree H1 on the list. I have it in my bag. On Saturday, I got to play 9 holes and the 9th hole on the course I was playing is a par 5 at just under 500 yards. I hit a long drive, but it ended up just off the fairway in a little depression. My left leg (right handed golfer) was lower than my right, ball in the rough. I was 197 from the pin into an elevated green. I pulled that little hybrid and put a good swing on it and left myself with a 15 foot eagle putt. There is no way I could have pulled off that shot with an iron. The 818 H1s are really good hybrids. I don’t really see myself going back to a 5 iron, even though I hit them just fine.

Oh, I missed the putt.

I am pretty much in the same situation as you with wanting to switch out my 5I with a 5 hybrid. The concern I have is if that will cause a big difference in distances between my 6I and 5H. I agree with a lot of folks that the Cleveland HB looks ugly, but it looks like a fairly good club which could fit my bill as well. I was looking at that or either the M2 Rescue 5H.

I am pretty much in the same situation as you with wanting to switch out my 5I with a 5 hybrid. The concern I have is if that will cause a big difference in distances between my 6I and 5H. I agree with a lot of folks that the Cleveland HB looks ugly, but it looks like a fairly good club which could fit my bill as well. I was looking at that or either the M2 Rescue 5H.

Yeah, I have had problems with several 5H where the distance is either 2 close to my 4H or my 6I. The HB seems to fit the gap I need and is pretty forgiving. Best club I had for this spot was an adams Red hybrid, 26* that was money but I stupidly got rid of it.

Back