Bag Dividers Debate

Im not sure I am fully for/against either type. Ive had both and see the pros and cons to both..

Right now Im using the Callaway fusion 14 and Im enjoying it. I actually like the dividers for each club cause it will instantly show me when I left a club on the last hole :oops:

Weight. Tangling (very few 14 way are TRUE 14 way divided all the way down, because of weight). Awkward organization.

5-way is easy. Its light. Clubs settle into spots simply.

This makes sense. I can see where getting the clubs out of the bag if the dividers weren't all the way down, they would be annoying to get out.

Im not sure I am fully for/against either type. Ive had both and see the pros and cons to both..

Right now Im using the Callaway fusion 14 and Im enjoying it. I actually like the dividers for each club cause it will instantly show me when I left a club on the last hole :oops:
I looked at this one not too long ago but for some reason, couldn't pull the trigger. Kind of regret that decision at this point because my old Callaway bag is about to drive me insane.

14 way for sure with full length dividers. Keeps clubs and shafts in better condition imo, easier organization too.

I'm currently using a Ping Hoofer 14 which I bought in 2017 and was the first new equipment I purchased after getting back into golf. The reason I bought it was I became so frustrated with my old Nike bag that I was always fighting with getting my clubs into the bag as they would get hung up on the grips of other clubs. When I went into Uinta Golf I said the one must have in my bag is that every club has their own spot. Now I was sold the Ping bag and I'm generally happy with it but as others have stated a 14-way bag has two options. I think that a 14 way bag without full dividers (which mine doesn't have) is less effective than a bag with less dividers but has Full length dividers. Just yesterday when I picked up my newly gripped irons, I had to fight my bag as my irons were getting stuck and not going fully in the bag. New grips on top of my oversized Flux putter grip my bag is, for lack of a better word, "sticky" mess. Now something that I love about 14 way dividers is every club has its own spot. Which if you can be organized and diligent enough to put clubs in the same spot every time, makes for limited searching for your clubs because you should know right where they are. On top of that, 14 makes it easy to spot when you left a wedge on the last green/fairway.

Depends on what I'm using it for. For cart bags I prefer the 14-way. keeps everything separate and minimizes the noise of clubs knocking into each other. If my fat ass is carrying though, I want the lightest bag at my disposal and in those there really isn't enough room to have full length dividers for a 14-way so I usually go with a 4-6 way.

I looked at this one not too long ago but for some reason, couldn't pull the trigger. Kind of regret that decision at this point because my old Callaway bag is about to drive me insane.
Im liking it more than I thought I would. The large number of pockets and unique features have impressed me.

Having owned both...

If the only thing I'm bringing is 14 clubs AND I'm only riding on a cart, 14 way.

However, I've gone back to fewer dividers for a few reasons.
  • I often bring an orange whip to loosen up with before the round along with alignment sticks etc (yes, some have extra compartments). In general it's easier to add to a bag with fewer, larger compartments.
  • When carrying or on a push cart, clubs bash into one another far more with a 14 way because they're separated. Fewer dividers doesn't eliminate that, but whether it's noise or bag chatter, it's far less prevalent.
  • I'm not a bag ho so I keep them for quite a while. What I've found is that over time the (assuming full length) divider fabric tends to loosen. When that happens, clubs get tangled way more in a 14 way than a 5/6 way.

If I'm on a motorized cart (or even using my push cart), I'll use my Ogio Machu, which is a 16 way divider (and I'll usually pack it with drinks, and often carry 15 clubs). This thing is a beast, and incredibly convenient.

However, if I'm practicing or carrying my bag, I use my Sun Mountain 3.5, which is 6 dividers, and I'll only carry 14 clubs. The weight savings, padding of the carry bag, double-shoulder sling... just makes everything so much more convenient.

-Bishop

Where do y'all stand on the 14 dividers vs 5/6 dividers in the bag? I know most favor the 5/6 dividers over the 14 but could y'all input why you prefer the 5/6? There seems to be a major and hard line in the golf community when it comes to the 14 vs 5/6 debate
I just bought a 14 way Titleist hybrid bag and it does not have individual dividers but has 4 (I think) dividers that go full length and I only played it once last weekend, but really like it. I thought the clubs might still hang, but did not have issues with that at all. The only thing about the bag is I have to learn the best way to place my clubs.

Cart rider 14

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Have never had a 14 way bag so cannot go that way, both my bags are 5 way and i don't mind them.

The answers to this are going to be almost exactly along the lines of who walks and carries their bag. If you walk and carry you will never have a 14 way because they're too heavy.

If I walked I would still have a 14 way. My stand bag is a full length 14 way that weighs 5 lbs. I wouldn't care or notice the 1-2 lb difference between it and most ultra lites.

I sit strongly in the 14 dividers plus a putter well

I like all the clubs to have a full divider if possible.

I use a 6 way but want to try 14. I find my clubs get mixed up during a round and don't always fit in their spot. Only problem is I usually carry 15 or 16 clubs

For me it has to be 14 way full length dividers. I can't stand the club grips getting tangled and worn at the bottom of the bag.

OGIO Woode system has been the best system out there... it just made sense.
That's cool, my 4 divider bag has all the nylon torn down below and that catches on the clubs constantly, I'm going to look into the Woode'

I like to carry at times and enjoy the simplicity of 5-way or similar. My SM 4.5 bag has nice dividers and with no club tangle issues. The only thing I would like is a separate place for putter. Large mallet putters are always in the way.

Even if I was using a cart only bag, 14-way may not be my thing. I like to have an organization to my clubs in a bag, but a place for every club might kick in some latent OCD and send me into la la land. That's a little too much thinking a out the bag for me when I'd rather put my thoughts elsewhere.

Unless you have a huge staff bag, anything less than fourteen full-length dividers means that you can't just casually drop your club into the bag and have it go all the way in without snagging on the grips of clubs already there. I do have an enormous staff bag, but it's just there to hold my collection of putters.

Full length dividers are great. Every club is in the same place all the time.
The bag looks so neat.
If you leave a club out on the course, you can see that right away.
They come with fifteen slots if you're an outlaw by nature. (I recommend the Ping DLX.)
I can't really understand why anybody wouldn't like them.

But plenty of player's don't like them, which just goes to show how subjective the choice is.
That's why they still make the other kind of bag.

14 way for me. The only time I walk is the Par 3 with a push cart. Love knowing where each club is and can easily spot if I leave one behind.

Where do y'all stand on the 14 dividers vs 5/6 dividers in the bag? I know most favor the 5/6 dividers over the 14 but could y'all input why you prefer the 5/6? There seems to be a major and hard line in the golf community when it comes to the 14 vs 5/6 debate
I love the idea of having my clubs separated into individual slots, but there is WAY too much chatter when walking if they are isolated like that.

When I have a 5 or 6 slot bag, they group up and don't clink anywhere near as much.

I love the idea of having my clubs separated into individual slots, but there is WAY too much chatter when walking if they are isolated like that.

When I have a 5 or 6 slot bag, they group up and don't clink anywhere near as much.

I have noticed this as well.

I tried going from 14 way cart bag to a 6 way stand bag and didn’t like the 6 way. Clubs kept getting stuck when taking them in/out of the bag. I went back to a 14 way but got a stand bag this time and couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am in the 14 way camp. I have the Ogio Silencer so no club chatter.

Back