barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
I went for a fitting at a well known facility in Scotland. My fitter said I should make my irons 2 degrees stronger to keep my ball flight down which I agree. Currently play driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 5i-Gap then 54 and 58. Taken my 50 out as I don’t use it and exchanged for the gap. My question is in my old set I played a driving 4 iron but with my 5iron now being 22 degrees and my 5 wood being 19, where does my driving iron fit in? 20 degrees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you really need something between those two? That should be a good gap being at 3 degrees.

I went for a fitting at a well known facility in Scotland. My fitter said I should make my irons 2 degrees stronger to keep my ball flight down which I agree. Currently play driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 5i-Gap then 54 and 58. Taken my 50 out as I don’t use it and exchanged for the gap. My question is in my old set I played a driving 4 iron but with my 5iron now being 22 degrees and my 5 wood being 19, where does my driving iron fit in? 20 degrees?

All depends on how far you hit them, a 20 degree driving iron may be far longer than a 22* 5iron and shorter than a 19* wood so it may work out. My concern would be the gap between your 54* and your PW that is now 2* stronger (likely now likely between 43* and 45*), I know I play a 45* PW and hit it 140, and I hit my 54 (bent to 55*)* 110, So I play a 50* (Bent to 49*) that goes 125.

Would you really need something between those two? That should be a good gap being at 3 degrees.
This is a very good question, what’s the yardage gap between those two clubs?

I don’t have an answer as I carry to many wedges. :ROFLMAO:

Gap to distance, not lofts.

Depends on what distance each go and fit accordingly. If they are close use the one you like best and maybe add a wedge.

I agree with others. I wouldn’t necessarily just look at the lofts to see that your gapping is appropriate. You need to know the distances and consistency of your clubs. Once you have those than you will see if the 4 iron best fits into your bag.

While true throughout the bag, it is even more true at the top and bottom, that consistent loft differences do not always determine proper gapping. This is particularly true with respect to going from a wood to an iron, due to head design and shaft lengths. The only way to know is to get on a launch monitor or play them enough to determine their respective lengths on the course.

Given the windy conditions you play in often...My guess is the 4iron plays better at times than the 5 wood.

I like this advice I’ll book into the quad and look at the numbers. I like the idea of a 4 iron when it’s windy and not suitable for the 5 wood

My 18* 5 wood (that has also been cut down) has a yardage gap of almost 30-40y between that and a 22* iron. Completely different animals.

id say probably yes, a 20* driving iron or some of the new GI/SGI 4 irons would do the trick to help gap.

but - it depends on the total gap there.

The distance gap matters most but I'd call the fitter back for a recommendation too. Did you already hit that 4i for your fitter? Or maybe go back in with your 5i, 5W driving 4i along and let fitter evaluate if the 4i (or maybe something else?) would be of more value. My guy would probably do a followup like that for free.

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned with the distance/flight gaps than the lofts. Personally, I switch between a 5W & 3I depending on the conditions. The carry is pretty similar but the flights are way different.

Back