Ball above or below your feet? What is your preference?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Based off Agent Jay's uphill/downhill lie thread, here's a variation.

You only have these two choices. And for the sake of the thread, say it's substantial, like four to six inches off level. Something where you really gotta squat down to get, or choke down to hit.

I prefer ball below my feet. My normal flight is left to right anyway, and I know what to expect. When it's above my feet, I know it's supposed to go left, but I rarely seem to get the aim correct.

i don't think i have a preference. i guess above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below without a doubt. I've gotten pretty comfortable at playing the cut (knowing it's going to from that lie) where the ball above my feet sometimes draws some times hooks sometimes stays straight on me.

Above. Not sure why but I do better with that shot.

Above the feet is always easier for the right handed player.

I prefer the ball above my feet. Both require compensations, but, for me the ball below my feet is more difficult, and misses can be really worse. The reason is that. although most of the time your going to get a left to right fade off the downhill lie (right handed golfer), there is a pretty good risk if it is a severe slope that the heel of the club might dig in and you get a nasty hook when you were playing for the fade--very, very ugly. With the ball above my feet, I'm pretty confident of the contact, and the right to left movement of the ball.

Above. Not sure why but I do better with that shot.

Below. As someone who fights a hook I will take a left to right opportunity every chance I get.

Above for sure.

I prefer above. It ends up being more of a baseball swing and that's what I grew up playing

I prefer the ball above my feet for sure. Since I'm short, choking down on my clubs to hit this shot is comfortable for me. If I'm worried about hitting to much of a pull, then I might open the face just a small amount, too.

Ball above my feet. As someone whose miss is a fade, anything below my feet can be ugly.

Below. I'm going to thin a shot above my feet most times. Below my feet I might thin occasionally, but can usually do well.

Above every time. That shot follows the accepted tendency for me in that the slope will encourage a right to left shot.

Whereas below my feet, I'll blow up the natural tendency by pulling the shot every single time. Except of course when I actually aim right, then I'll hit a beautiful left to right shot, waaaay right of target.

If I aim left like the shot demands or straight, it's a pull every time. Nearly always a solid strike, just left.

Above my feet. I generally get a right to left ball flight off of flat ground, so I know what to expect and how far to aim from this type of lie.

Now I don't like the really crazy, ball at waist level, above my feet. Then its like some kind of funky mix between softball, teeball and golf, and I've got no idea where the ball is going!

I'll take it above my feet every time. I still get my aim wrong, but I have a much better chance of making good contact. Staying down in the ball is difficult for me on even ground, and that's just magnified if the ball is below my feet.

I don't get much opportunity to practice either sit, but above my feet is preferred. Below my feet is where I struggle unbelievably.

Above, my clubs are probably already a little short so anything below my feet is instant top

Above for sure. Below my feet is usually bad!

Definitely above. I don't know how others play it but I choke up and move the ball back in my stance and have had pretty good success doing it that way. Below my feet I somehow over compensate too often and double-cross myself hitting it left.

I'll take it above my feet every time. I still get my aim wrong, but I have a much better chance of making good contact. Staying down in the ball is difficult for me on even ground, and that's just magnified if the ball is below my feet.

Exactly this for me

Definitely above for me.

Below the feet for me, I don't know if I concentrate more or what, but I usually end up with a good shot. Above my feet , not so much.

Below every time. When it's below my feet I can stand closer, flex my knees a bit more, make my swing steeper and use the full length of the shaft to get full distance out of the shot. If it's above my feet the aiming compensation is much larger and I lose distance because it forces me to choke down on the club. My home course is super hilly so I get a lot of practice on above and below my feet lies.

Above. When it is below, I am a horrible amalgamtion of posts 16, 17, 18, and 19 above.

Back