Ball Collection: Favorite, and why?

Well then.. I will choose for you! Gotta be the hole in one ball 🙏 What course, hole, and when?

Well played! Bungay Brook Golf Club, par 3 5th hole, May 5, 2018.

Glad to see you looking at things positively, I cannot imagine going through something like that. Happy for you.

Freddie seems like a great guy! Don't know much about Boo.

Boo is a trip, I have kept score for his group twice. He is from the Florida panhandle area close to where i was stationed for a bit. Walked 18 with him , Jimmie Walker and Shawn Stefani. Between shots it was all hunting and fishing, then the switch would flip, hit balls, back to small talk walking. When we were coming down 18 from the tee shots, Boo grabbed me and said "Don't walk behind, where you from?" told him Fort Walton and it was like i had a new friend, we talked about the beach, my military carreer and what brought me to Texas. Then after we signed score cards, he gave me a signed ball and said hope to see you again. Ran in to him on the 1st tee a couple of days later when i was heading out with another group and he called me by name.

Boo is a trip, I have kept score for his group twice. He is from the Florida panhandle area close to where i was stationed for a bit. Walked 18 with him , Jimmie Walker and Shawn Stefani. Between shots it was all hunting and fishing, then the switch would flip, hit balls, back to small talk walking. When we were coming down 18 from the tee shots, Boo grabbed me and said "Don't walk behind, where you from?" told him Fort Walton and it was like i had a new friend, we talked about the beach, my military carreer and what brought me to Texas. Then after we signed score cards, he gave me a signed ball and said hope to see you again. Ran in to him on the 1st tee a couple of days later when i was heading out with another group and he called me by name.

That is a cool story, Boo sounds like an awesome dude.

So, I started my business in 1985, took up golf 1986. Had my collection of courses played on the wall in my office and was forced to close in 2011. My wife would have nothing to do with putting them up in the house, so now, most prized possession is stored in the garage in a suit case. One day, I'll get the man cave and get them back up.
About 700. Was in a carry on size, but now moved to medium size with addition of another dozen or so.

Attachments

• logo balls.jpg
    logo balls.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 13
So, I started my business in 1985, took up golf 1986. Had my collection of courses played on the wall in my office and was forced to close in 2011. My wife would have nothing to do with putting them up in the house, so now, most prized possession is stored in the garage in a suit case. One day, I'll get the man cave and get them back up.
About 700. Was in a carry on size, but now moved to medium size with addition of another dozen or so.

Woah.

What a collection! Pure savage. If this was a contest, I think you are the clear winner. It will be exciting to one day get those things up.

That's a cool story. Eglin or were you at Hurlbert?

Eglin is my birthplace, dad is retired Air Force. My brother is also retired Air Force. Brother was stationed at Eglin for a little while, we visited him when he was stationed there and was able to reminisce where we lived on base(well, from what I could remember, I was 5 when we left). The row of houses we lived at was still there just around the corner from the hospital. :cool:

Its fun when i decide to get it out to add some when I get more and then browse thru them . In no way do I want to know how much that collection represents!:eek:
I was single for a long time after first divorce and would take weekends to go about the USA. I would check flights, weather and top 100 courses that I hadn't played yet. Played
2 -3 rounds daily. I didnt start the collection right away, but the list of ones I knew I played and were missing became a great resource for my kids to get for my B-day.
Played as a single and got paired up with some really nice folks who became friends. Played Phoenician and got brought out the first tee box to meet my group. Joe Biden, some congressman from Chicago and Ed Oldfield ( golf digest editor and teaching pro to Patty Sheehan.) This was right after Biden had to withdraw from presidential race due to an aneurysm. Also paired in Cabo with members at Marion and other privates around the globe. Pretty darn cool.

That's a cool story. Eglin or were you at Hurlbert?

Eglin is my birthplace, dad is retired Air Force. My brother is also retired Air Force. Brother was stationed at Eglin for a little while, we visited him when he was stationed there and was able to reminisce where we lived on base(well, from what I could remember, I was 5 when we left). The row of houses we lived at was still there just around the corner from the hospital. :cool:

I was retired by then, Worked for a Defense Manufacturing Company there. Live on Cinco Buyou

Its fun when i decide to get it out to add some when I get more and then browse thru them . In no way do I want to know how much that collection represents!:eek:
I was single for a long time after first divorce and would take weekends to go about the USA. I would check flights, weather and top 100 courses that I hadn't played yet. Played
2 -3 rounds daily. I didnt start the collection right away, but the list of ones I knew I played and were missing became a great resource for my kids to get for my B-day.
Played as a single and got paired up with some really nice folks who became friends. Played Phoenician and got brought out the first tee box to meet my group. Joe Biden, some congressman from Chicago and Ed Oldfield ( golf digest editor and teaching pro to Patty Sheehan.) This was right after Biden had to withdraw from presidential race due to an aneurysm. Also paired in Cabo with members at Marion and other privates around the globe. Pretty darn cool.

Wow, you have been around the block, err uhh... The course. You were living it up! I am sure that collection is worth a small fortune, something to be proud of! I better step up my game. The surprise Biden group was probably a treat, I would have some fun with that.

so what do you do with the quarantine? Rolled out the logo balls and separated out the top 20. Not an easy task.

Attachments

• logo balls 2.jpg
    logo balls 2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 9
  • top 24 logo balls.jpg
    top 24 logo balls.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 9
Heck yes! I was hoping you would, but felt like too much to ask. Gonna narrow down to the top 5 next?

Man! really hard to do from this.
Pebble is like walking on hallowed ground. But its really about 6-9 , 17, 18 along the water.
I birdied # 18 on both Whistling and Pinehurst. Got cheers from the watchers. Pretty cool.
Abbey Glen is beautiful and Banff is stunningly pretty.
Mauna Kea, oh my! I cant remember the hole, I think about 14. Come around the corner and the view down to the ocean was jaw dropping.

I only hope more to come after we come out on the other side of this.
Buddy wants to do Bandon this fall.

Man! really hard to do from this.
Pebble is like walking on hallowed ground. But its really about 6-9 , 17, 18 along the water.
I birdied # 18 on both Whistling and Pinehurst. Got cheers from the watchers. Pretty cool.
Abbey Glen is beautiful and Banff is stunningly pretty.
Mauna Kea, oh my! I cant remember the hole, I think about 14. Come around the corner and the view down to the ocean was jaw dropping.

I only hope more to come after we come out on the other side of this.
Buddy wants to do Bandon this fall.

That is so cool man, what great memories over the years. I have heard Bandon and the other courses in Oregon are awesome. There is tons of top notch golf out there.

Can you pick a #1?

Pebble and Pinehurst #2 are tops. Both were early on in my golf career and I felt the history of "Golf". I was young then. I played them in the 80's. Had a caddie . Living life large. Maybe even felt over privileged to have the means to be there.
The clubhouse at Pinehurst , with all the Payne Stewart pics ( He and Freddie were my golf idols). That left indelible memories. Made me a committed golfaholic. its given me so much. I can step into conversations with groups and find common ground so frequently. Its broadened my life.

So, pick one.

Pebble.

Not the best course, just the best round for memories. It was truly like walking hallowed grounds. Number 8 , approach shot might be one the best views I've ever experienced. ( I stuck it right next to the pin and kicked it in for birdie. Caddie said he's had players hit driver to putter on #7. I put it in bunker left and bladed wedge into the ocean. Oops.

When I went to Monterrey, I played 2 rounds daily.
Pebble, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills, and Carmel Valley Ranch. Made sure I has a morning round and an afternoon round at each.
10 rounds, 5 days. My plan was interrupted by the 6hr round at Spanish Bay when my playing partners was some 80 yr old guy and his 27yr old trophy wife and I missed my second tee time. He musta shot 200. Poor caddie spent the day looking for his golf balls in the iceplant. But she was pretty. Cant blame him.
I had the first tee time of the day at Spyglass and had to wait for the fog to lift. Sent us off as quickly as possible and actually couldnt see the ball as it sailed down #1. Got to the ball and there was Elk standing on the green. We had to yell to get them to move away. Awesome.

So, there are some courses in Ohio I haven't played. ?
And I see that the governor of you state lifted ban. Lucky!
We have a petition trying to get same. Weather here is iffy for the next 10 tho.

Thanks for getting me to do this. Its been fun .

Thank you for sharing, those are great stories and its awesome how you remember all the details.

The phrase, "bladed wedge into the ocean" is awesome to me. Anytime you have the opportunity to hit one in to the ocean, you know you are at a great course. 😆

The Monterrey trip sounded absolutely delightful. That five course lineup is perfect. You did it the right way for sure.

Governor has lifted the ban in Ohio! Only lasted a couple days lol. Have you been to Ohio much for golf?

I've got nothing from Ohio!
A tragedy for sure.
What courses do you recommend?
3 days. 5 or 6 rounds
Your itinerary...

Oh lawd!

Here is the issue, all of the best courses in Ohio are for the most part private...BUT, here are my top 5 public courses I have played in Ohio.

1) The Virtues Golf Club: Near Columbus. Arthur Hills design, gotta be the best public in Ohio. In the Top 100 public courses in the US.

about-longaberger-golf-course.jpg

2) Little Mountain Country Club: Near Cleveland. Hurdzan and Fry design. Sick layout, course is always lush.

01.jpg

3) Fowlers Mill: 30 minutes outside of Cleveland. When I play this course, I feel like I am not in Ohio, which is kind of nice sometimes :ROFLMAO: It is a Pete Dye masterpiece!

course_photo.jpg

4) Boulder Creek Golf Club: Near Cleveland. Tons of elevation changes here, with beautiful views. Love this Par 3 to the island green.

WD20181022-EventCenterAtBoulderCreekGolfClubThe-03.jpg

5) The Quarry Golf Club: Canton. Another course with wild elevation changes and perfect views as you navigate through the woods. Built on an old Quarry dating back to the 1800's.

pg03.jpg

Those are gorgeous!
We have The Quarry at Giants Ridge, also built on quarry. One of Mn best. And played Oak Quarry in Riverside Ca, same thing. Always fun layouts.
When is best time to visit?

Those are gorgeous!
We have The Quarry at Giants Ridge, also built on quarry. One of Mn best. And played Oak Quarry in Riverside Ca, same thing. Always fun layouts.
When is best time to visit?

Summer is a great time, and early fall as well. A lot of these courses are unreal when the leaves start to change colors. I am sure it is similar to courses in Minnesota. Where do you primarily play up there?

A little late, but here are the four ball racks that keep me motivated at work:
DSC_3956.JPG
DSC_3958.JPG

This cabinet holds the #4 Titleist ProV1 that I used to ace the 6th hole of the Legislator course at Capitol Hill back in 2014 (4th row just right of centre):
DSC_3961.JPG
and this one holds the #1 ProV1 that I used to post my lowest score ever, +1 at my local course Flamborough Hills:
DSC_3964.JPG

Oh lawd!

Here is the issue, all of the best courses in Ohio are for the most part private...BUT, here are my top 5 public courses I have played in Ohio.

1) The Virtues Golf Club: Near Columbus. Arthur Hills design, gotta be the best public in Ohio. In the Top 100 public courses in the US.

View attachment 8934572

All good courses - That Virtues hole ate me alive during my visit... Driver splash.... flirted with the edge on approach to the sucker pin.... yikes.... I skipped the ball purchase and bought a virtues ball marker.

Friend is the super at Quarry in Canton and they do a great job on the maintenance.

Back