Ball Color - Most Visible?

Count me among those who LOVE red in the air but hate it on the ground.

Pink actually seems too be the best, but I'm stuck with white and yellow with the ball I'm using.

Lucky that I'm still able follow balls in flight, see them land, or find them much better than the younger golfers I play with. But I think matte dark red and neon green are easiest to follow in flight. Multi-color patterns are hardest to follow out at a distance, and often also hardest to find IMO.

Most of the more exotic colored balls are a type that. I would not play. However, I definitely see the yellow versions of tour balls much better than white. Most of my rounds this year have been with a yellow Pro V1 or V1X or a yellow Bridgestone Tour B X or XS.

I find the ERC in yellow is very easy for me to see. I tried the matte red and had a tough time with it.

Old eyes aren't following the ball as well as they used to, usually not a problem as it leaves the tee, and most of the flight, but I seem to lose track as the ball descends. Doesn't matter if its following my own shot, or watching someone else's shot, if I lose sight of the ball it is usually as it is coming down. I've pretty much always used white balls, but have tried yellow (several different ones), and have friends that play Truvis, and haven't seen any appreciable difference as far as tracking the ball in flight is concerned.

So, with all the color options available now, is there a color that REALLY makes a difference? I read an article that said the matte green balls are really up there for visibility, and the matte red looks like it might work. I just thought I'd ask here for some reliable THP input. Help an OldeDude out, I'm willing to give something different a try, just not sure which way to go.

Red Balls are the easiest to follow in the sky for me. I had a few older gents tell me they liked the Red balls for that very reason.
I wish Maxfli would drop the Blue Balls and go with Red Balls.

Yellow

Tried the red matte and once the ball hits the ground I lose it. It’s like it vanishes

Red and some orange are really easy to see in the air but I have trouble seeing them on the ground at times. Yellow and green are really good but yellow and black truvis are by far the easiest for me visually.

I have played yellow Titleist Trusoft for a couple years and they have been all-around the most visible ball for me.

But last weekend I tried some yellow Callaway Supersoft (roll-back price $14.97/dozen on Walmart online) and red matte Callaway Superhot Bold balls ($29.99 for 15) while golfing in Sedona.

The yellow Supersofts were the most visible. The red matte Superhots went noticeably farther and straighter but were less visible, especially when hitting into the sun and they were harder to follow once they landed. I am going to try the matte reds for a while, but the high viz yellow is simply the best color for me but I have a lot more experience with that color.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I love the matte red in the summer and spring but the leaves changing and making the red hard to follow so I've gone back to white for this fall.

Yellow and black Truvis for me, as well. I can spot them a mile away.

I’d like to play the yellow/green version, but tough to get them here in Eugene, Oregon. Go Ducks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have only tried yellow and white. Prefer the white all season

Love the Q-Star tour yellow.

My wife bought me red, white and blue volviks. Normally, I prefer yellow for visability and had been curious about a green ball. Will report back on the red, white and blue.

I was surprised to find that I was able to track the lime green Wilson Duo Pro as well/possibly better than the yellow/black Truvis Chromesoft, and that was in some misty conditions too.

See below:
20191020_080516.jpg

Last edited:
I have never played anything other than white but I am going to try some yellow for next season. I generally have no problems with following white balls.

I think it depends on the person. Played with someone that having more trouble tracking balls with age and he was giving the orange ones a go, but really wasn't helping him much.

Personally I think the optic yellow are easier to track in the air, the orange on the ground, but white is the all around winner.

Its weird but I don't find the colored balls to be easier to see than white
I'm with you on this!!

The matte red are surprisingly really difficult to find on the ground. I don't know what it is, but every time I have played with someone that has those balls our group spends a lot of time looking for them and often we find them in a spot where we have already looked at 2 or 3 times.
I had the same problem playing with @gmiller598 in the Kentucky Bourbon Bash a couple weeks ago. They were definitely hard to find.

Well I was able to test this a little yesterday, played white, matte green, and matte red, the couple I was playing with were playing yellow and red. Personally I don't think any of the colors make enough difference FOR ME. I could track the green and red pretty well in the air, maybe slightly better than white, but as others have said, I absolutely lost the red when it hit the ground. I might try the green a bit more, but will probably stick with white for the long run.

IMO, orange or red ones are the most visible in the air. Callaway and Wilson make some red balls that are so bright that I almost have to wonder were they put the batteries.

Yellow is the most visible to me in the fairway. However, as the leaves around here change color, red and yellow balls disappear quickly in the deep rough and hazards. I revert to white in the fall as errant shots are a little easier to find.

Practiced with the red Volviks. They were easy to track in the air. But, at 150 yards to 130, I didn't see them in the dormant grass. 20 yards and in they were glowing. Very weird. I know some have liked the Red balls, maybe they are better in green grass?

Yellow is my go to but the red is super easy to track also.

I have congenital cataracts, so tracking a golf ball has always been a problem for me. One doctor described my lens as looking glitter-filled under the examination light.

For me orange is the best all-weather compromise. Best against a cloudy backdrop and acceptable on the ground, but not as good as some yellows. The yellows are much better than they used to be, especially the Staff Duo Optix, Supersoft and Srixons. I was never a big fan of the orangish Bridgestone yellow color. They are the hardest for me to find on the ground. I will probably go to yellow for sunny days and orange for overcast next season

I can play a white ball only if it's a cloudless day, like I had last Saturday.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat re my eyes.

I really find that yellow and black Truvis are substantially easier to see than just about anything else.

Have used colored balls all this season and have found that the volvik vivid sherbet orange ball is best for me. I can track it easily and spot it in the rough pretty easy also.

Callaway Rogue Driver with Even Flow Blue 5.5reg flex shaft
Callaway Rogue 3w Even Flow blue 55 reg flex shaft
Ping G400 7 wood Tensei orange 50g reg flex shaft
Ping G410 2 hybrid UST Recoil reg flex shaft
Ping G410 4&5 hybrids UST Recoil shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pros 6-pw Recoil F3 95 shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 SW,LW recoil F3 95 shafts
Ping Kinloch putter

Back