Yuo mean sales numbers show that people are pretty much over that idea?
Or that sales numbers show that players do not believe, "i don't have the swing speed to compress/play ______."

I am willing to bet the callaway supersoft is among the highest selling balls period. It is also a ball that other than price I am not sure does any good for anyone. I am very willing to be wrong but I do not see a single performance benefit of that ball. But hot dang it sells.
I have a friend who would disagree with you. Loves the ball, higher swing speed (105-110 range) and plays it well. While I agree he would benefit from a different ball he gets around a course quite well. Not sure how he can play it as it feel like mush to me.

Or that sales numbers show that players do not believe, "i don't have the swing speed to compress/play ______."

I think this is the case.

I definitely gravitate towards higher compression and perhaps a little softer compression in the colder weather. For me it is about a launch and spin (low to both!) off the tee with decent spin around the greens. Cover also plays a lot into it. I am not a fan of clicky and firm covers, but gravitate to ones that have a little more softness and a bit more grip if that makes sense. Because of that, I've favorited the Vice Pro Plus and the Tour BX recently. I am hoping the new Tour BX is a little better around the greens.

For the warmer weather, I am also going to be (finally) trying out the CSX LS and some Piper golf balls I won in a recent contest. Never did tryout the CSX LS last year, but am looking forward to the improvements, after hearing so much on here about it. Going to a ball fitting in two weeks for a Callaway demo event as well. I generally am high launch, high spin, so I look for balls that can dial it down across long game and irons, while keeping greenside spin up and feel not so hard off the putter.

Well that's what I meant. I think. That sales within SS demographics show it's not really an issue overall.

I am willing to bet the callaway supersoft is among the highest selling balls period. It is also a ball that other than price I am not sure does any good for anyone. I am very willing to be wrong but I do not see a single performance benefit of that ball. But hot dang it sells.
A ball that feels super soft (no pun intended) and reduces spin drastically and launches well despite that could benefit some golfers.
With that said, if searching performance first and foremost, most golfers that are on a website like this, start with the cover.

Very good point! Something I am trying to wrap my head around. Compression is kind of the ball version of torque.. It is a number that is thrown out there. We all kinda know what it means, but what does it really do??

Maybe more relation to flex. It matters, but not in the finite way people think it does and there is no standardization.

I have a friend who would disagree with you. Loves the ball, higher swing speed (105-110 range) and plays it well. While I agree he would benefit from a different ball he gets around a course quite well. Not sure how he can play it as it feel like mush to me.

For sure. I am not meaning to say people cannot play that ball and play well. That is not the case. Simply that there are other options that would do more for him from a performance stand point.

A ball that feels super soft (no pun intended) and reduces spin drastically and launches well despite that could benefit some golfers.
With that said, if searching performance first and foremost, most golfers that are on a website like this, start with the cover.

Maybe more relation to flex. It matters, but not in the finite way people think it does and there is no standardization.

That is essentially what I was getting at. You bring a good point though.

For sure. I am not meaning to say people cannot play that ball and play well. That is not the case. Simply that there are other options that would do more for him from a performance stand point.
Agree totally. Gave him a couple regular CS and he did great with them. CSX he spun to much but was fun to watch

Well that's what I meant. I think. That sales within SS demographics show it's not really an issue overall.
I would bet the number of people who say "I don't have the swing speed to play that ball" is a lot lower than we think. I would bet the real reason people play the ball they do is because, "I can't afford to lose that ball."

I would bet the number of people who say "I don't have the swing speed to play that ball" is a lot lower than we think. I would bet the real reason people play the ball they do is because, "I can't afford to lose that ball."
Since the most sold ball is one of the most expensive balls on the market, I am not sure I agree.

Haha I just sent this to a friend who is about your speed and single digit that plays then. He's passionate enough about them, for god knows what reason, it might just bring him out of his lurky corner. :LOL:

I think about it along with a multitude of factors.

What exactly are the compression numbers? I don’t really think about it but I do pay attention to things like attack angle, spin and smash factor

Haha I just sent this to a friend who is about your speed and single digit that plays then. He's passionate enough about them, for god knows what reason, it might just bring him out of his lurky corner. :LOL:

My thought as @JB mentioned goes back first to cover. Why not play a ball with a urethane cover? Other than cost? Which I can totally understand. But lets eliminate cost for a moment. There are other, low compression, lower spin balls that will offer at least a little help around the green. Qstar, Zstar, AVX, Bstone RX and RXS etc.

These are also multi layer balls that will offer other performance benefits that a 1 or 2 piece plastic covered ball can never match.

My thought as @JB mentioned goes back first to cover. Why not play a ball with a urethane cover? Other than cost? Which I can totally understand. But lets eliminate cost for a moment. There are other, low compression, lower spin balls that will offer at least a little help around the green. Qstar, Zstar, AVX, Bstone RX and RXS etc.

These are also multi layer balls that will offer other performance benefits that a 1 or 2 piece plastic covered ball can never match.
I wouldn't classify Z-Star as low compression personally.

I wouldn't classify Z-Star as low compression personally.

Low'er.. lol.. 80'ish compression.

I guess thats fair. And I guess makes me ask the question. At what number is a ball low, average, or high compression?

I have the speed to play higher compression balls, but (and I could be mistaken) they tend to be higher spin. I'm willing to sacrifice some distance for a straighter ball.

@templeton80 do you think it would be fair to say as a persons skills go up, that their choice of balls increase the same?

Low'er.. lol.. 80'ish compression.

I guess thats fair. And I guess makes me ask the question. At what number is a ball low, average, or high compression?
I believe its 90, but that is a good question.
Especially when dual core or gradient cores are used.

@templeton80 do you think it would be fair to say as a persons skills go up, that their choice of balls increase the same?

Well, I guess you could say the number of choices is always the same right? I mean. someone that shoots 125 can play a prov1x. It may just be expensive. I think as skill increases, you find your options for you narrows. Because you know what you like, and what will work best for your swing characteristics and ball flight etc. You just become more knowledgeable about your game.

At one point (not long ago) I would have said with certainty "Play the firmest ball you can stand to play". Now, I am less certain of such absolutes.

Which is part of the reason I started this thread. What are the stereotypes, false ideas, etc that are held around this topic? Some may be true. Others not so much.

On the recent off course, I think it was stated that you should start your fitting be deciding the ball you want to play. I think compression is the least understood factor in a ball. (Myself included).

Well, I guess you could say the number of choices is always the same right? I mean. someone that shoots 125 can play a prov1x. It may just be expensive. I think as skill increases, you find your options for you narrows. Because you know what you like, and what will work best for your swing characteristics and ball flight etc. You just become more knowledgeable about your game.

At one point (not long ago) I would have said with certainty "Play the firmest ball you can stand to play". Now, I am less certain of such absolutes.
I think this is what it boils down to a lot. IMO feel plays a huge role in what a person guy or gal gravitates to in a ball.

I think this is what it boils down to a lot. IMO feel plays a huge role in what a person guy or gal gravitates to in a ball.
I am so so so so so so so so so on the other side of the spectrum. I dont think most golfers feel much. I think it is a commonly used as a validator to choices. Obviously outliers and THPers are definitely outliers.

I am so so so so so so so so so on the other side of the spectrum. I dont think most golfers feel much. I think it is a commonly used as a validator to choices. Obviously outliers and THPers are definitely outliers.

Feel is less important to me than other factors. Maybe the last box to check.

Feel is less important to me than other factors. Maybe the last box to check.

That blows my mind. To me, feel is by far the most important thing in choosing a ball. Off the tee and long shots in, yep, balls feel pretty much the same to me. But as I close in to the green, feel becomes more important until I’m on the green when it’s super important to me. I’ve had a history of leaving putts short so a soft feeling ball kills me on the greens. I need a firmer feeling ball where I feel I get some pop off the putter face.

Back