Ball fitting vs. club fitting and potential disconnect between them

PiratePenguin

2024 Goat Cup Team Brennan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Perhaps a confusing post title, but my ponderings have been this:

With all the talk of ball fitting I have been wondering about the potential necessity to then replace clubs to take full advantage of the balls, or else keep fitting balls every time you get a new club, and fitting every club in your bag to the ball.

For instance, your driver works great with ball A, but your irons work better with ball B. Or all of your clubs but your 3 wood work great with ball A - so now you should replace your 3 wood with one that will also work with ball A? (And how would you know?)

Maybe I just need more coffee. :beat-up:

I think swing characteristics make up for more about fitting than anything else. Sure changes to launch conditions such as high launch and low launch shafts would play a role, but outside of that, your swing traits should determine both the ball and the clubs fitting properly in my opinion.

Well what I did, and it seems to be working so far, is I got fitted for my driver and played that ball a few rounds. Then I went in and hit with my 5 hybrid and took notice of which balls were recommended then moved on to my short irons. I looked at what the top three balls were in each category (Driver, Hybrid, Short Irons) and if there was a commonality (in my case the Vapor and E6) I played both to see which I liked best, I decided to play the Vapor cause it feels just a tad better than the E6.

I've always looked for a ball that feels good to me from 100 yards in; something that has a nice solid "chunk" and that gives me the feedback I want in chipping and putting.

To me, that's where the true "feel" of a ball matters. I've never had a problem with distance, so if that means that I might have to sacrifice a few yards on a drive (or have to work a bit harder to maintain my distance), I'm good with that because the short-game feel of a ball is far more important to me than how it feels coming off a driver or whether or not it gives up 3 to 5 yards in carry.

If I was struggling with both feel and distance as well as directional or flight issues, then maybe I'd try to look for a ball that addresses all of those things (or at least came close).

But no matter what anyone is looking for, I feel that ball-fitting is a compromise at best because there is no single ball that can address every situation equally and that being the case, there can be no true "fitting".
I still think that if you go out and hit a variety of balls you'll find one or two you like and at that point, you're fitted.

-JP

But no matter what anyone is looking for, I feel that ball-fitting is a compromise at best because there is no single ball that can address every situation equally and that being the case, there can be no true "fitting".
I still think that if you go out and hit a variety of balls you'll find one or two you like and at that point, you're fitted.

-JP

Im going to go out on a limb and say you have never been to a ball fitting before. Hard numbers dont lie. Launch conditions do not lie. Feel will play a roll for many, as it should, but in the end, hard numbers comparing two items together make up all the difference in the world.

A golf ball does not have to address every situation. It only has to address one. A persons swing characteristics. Technology has let the consumer SEE exactly what balls work best for their swings regardless of the situation.

Im going to go out on a limb and say you have never been to a ball fitting before. Hard numbers dont lie. Launch conditions do not lie. Feel will play a roll for many, as it should, but in the end, hard numbers comparing two items together make up all the difference in the world.

A golf ball does not have to address every situation. It only has to address one. A persons swing characteristics. Technology has let the consumer SEE exactly what balls work best for their swings regardless of the situation.

Hard numbers are fine but humans and hard numbers are often like oil and water; they may "mix" for a time but they eventually separate.

Two things:
  1. People rarely keep the same exact swing or even the same exact mental outlook as they may have demonstrated at the time of the fitting
  2. Not everyone wants to be codified or placed into a category for which only certain criteria apply

For years, people "found" a ball they liked because they tried a variety of balls and settled on one or two that worked for them. Isn't that the same thing? Numbers are fine but the human part still has to be there as well.

For example, if I were fitted for a ball and the balls that were recommended all seemed "clicky" to me, then I wouldn't care to use them no matter how the numbers stacked up. I would feel that way because golf, to me, isn't just about numbers. There is a tactile aspect to the game, and an audible aspect as well as an emotional aspect which I feel are all part of feeling comfortable and playing well.

Numbers are constant but people generally aren't and I think that in some ways, "fittings" can force people into pigeonholes which can be limiting.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

-JP

For years, people "found" a ball they liked because they tried a variety of balls and settled on one or two that worked for them. Isn't that the same thing? Numbers are fine but the human part still has to be there as well.

For years people did a lot of things, now fittings exist to HELP consumers and amateur golfers take the guess work out. Technology has made it EASIER for everybody to see exactly what works for their swing and why. Hitting the ball and watching the trajectory is NOT the same thing.

And as I said before I am guessing you have not been through a fitting to see what exactly it entails.

For years people did a lot of things, now fittings exist to HELP consumers and amateur golfers take the guess work out. Technology has made it EASIER for everybody to see exactly what works for their swing and why. Hitting the ball and watching the trajectory is NOT the same thing.

And as I said before I am guessing you have not been through a fitting to see what exactly it entails.

But what if you regard the "guesswork" as part of the fun -- the thrill of discovery?

Is there anything wrong with that?

I guess an analogy might be learning to play an instrument by rote or by ear; rote takes the guesswork out but "by ear" is quite often a lot more fun.

Different strokes for different folks.

-JP

But what if you regard the "guesswork" as part of the fun -- the thrill of discovery?

Is there anything wrong with that?

I guess an analogy might be learning to play an instrument by rote or by ear; rote takes the guesswork out but "by ear" is quite often a lot more fun.

Different strokes for different folks.

-JP

Nobody is saying not to try out different things. But to discount fitting, without EVER going through one seems a bit odd.

Nobody is saying not to try out different things. But to discount fitting, without EVER going through one seems a bit odd.

Well I've also never been tackled by a 300 lb. lineman, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to sign up for that either. :D

-JP

Well I've also never been tackled by a 300 lb. lineman, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to sign up for that either. :D

-JP

Yeah great and useful comparison. Knocking a process that has worked for thousands including the best players in the world without ever trying it says everything. Once again, why knock something you have never been through. You clearly know little about what a true ball fitting entails, yet you simplify it and judge it as borderline useless without having ever gone through it.

Yeah great and useful comparison. Knocking a process that has worked for thousands including the best players in the world without ever trying it says everything. Once again, why knock something you have never been through. You clearly know little about what a true ball fitting entails, yet you simplify it and judge it as borderline useless without having ever gone through it.

JB, why do we have to do this dance all the time?

I use a ball I like and that works for me. As far as I'm concerned, that ball "fits" me. If someone wants to "get fitted" for a ball, or a putter or anything else, God bless 'em and may the force be with them. It's just something that I personally wouldn't consider doing.

I'm not knocking it, I (for me, myself and I) simply don't see the point in it.

So what's wrong with that?

-JP

JB, why do we have to do this dance all the time?

I use a ball I like and that works for me. As far as I'm concerned, that ball "fits" me. If someone wants to "get fitted" for a ball, or a putter or anything else, God bless 'em and may the force be with them. It's just something that I personally wouldn't consider doing.

I'm not knocking it, I (for me, myself and I) simply don't see the point in it.

So what's wrong with that?

-JP

Nobody EVER knocked you for choosing anything. You knocked the process WITHOUT EVER trying it. ENOUGH ALREADY!

I have been through club fitting AND ball fitting. Results of club fitting were dramatic; ball fitting was fun.

Getting the proper loft, lie, shaft flex and length are critical. These factors affect length of shot, trajectory, shot shape and control. Clubs are expensive and most of us keep our clubs for several years (kind of like a suit)

Getting fit for a ball (usually) concentrates on distance and/or spin but rarely on control. The right ball can enhance your game but not make it great (kind of like a tie).

Absolutely get fit for clubs.

Go to a ball fitting, get free samples and try lots of different balls and decide which best suit your game and budget.

I have been through club fitting AND ball fitting. Results of club fitting were dramatic; ball fitting was fun.

Getting the proper loft, lie, shaft flex and length are critical. These factors affect length of shot, trajectory, shot shape and control. Clubs are expensive and most of us keep our clubs for several years (kind of like a suit)

Getting fit for a ball (usually) concentrates on distance and/or spin but rarely on control. The right ball can enhance your game but not make it great (kind of like a tie).

Absolutely get fit for clubs.

Go to a ball fitting, get free samples and try lots of different balls and decide which best suit your game and budget.

I completely disagree. The ball is the most important piece of equipment in your bag.

The ball is the only bit of equipment you play every shot with, it should be important.

JP, would you seriously decline the chance to have someone guide you to a ball which would gain you an extra 5 yards and feel just as you want it around the green? Sounds a bit naive to me. Once you're fit for a ball, it's not like you need to go with it no matter what. Try it out. If you don't like it, no harm done.
Maybe the Titleist ball fitting would suit your outlook? They don't seem to be as thorough as yet, but they talk about fitting a ball 'from the green out', if I remember correctly.

I don't play the ball I was fitted to online. I have tried it, and I play one with similar characteristics. I found the fitting to be useful as it gave me a little more info about my game, and what I might benefit from.

Back