Ball mark repair errors

How often do you see people repairing ball marks incorrectly?

I see it all the time. They pry and pry up on that ball mark. I can only assume they do so because that's what they see the pros do on TV (and I'm not sure why the pros do it).

What else should be done to teach people the right way to repair a ball mark?

All the damn time. There's the people who've always done it that way and a lot won't change. Worse yet, there's the people who hands down have no interest in even trying to fix them unless they impact their putting line.

Out of the people who've developed a habit, I think education and some constructive ribbing from other golfers could probably convert about half of them. Best chance is to educate new golfers. I've always thought there should be at the very least a spiel for people who are playing a golf course for the first time.

I usually try to fix mine and at least one more when I have the time. Some of the slower rounds I end up fixing way more than I make myself.

My home course has the graphics up in the pro shop, restaurant and every bathroom both in house and on the course.
I still fix at least 3 ball marks on every green. Inconsiderate golfers are everywhere. :mad:
That’s so disappointing eh?

Do you think it’s more ignorance (for instance new golfers who might not know any different), or entitlement?

Some courses are like the lunar surface. It is awful. I will fix 2 or so on greens; I find it to be a privilege to fix my own mark since it is usually a sign of a great shot.

I have seen a few courses with graphics showing the correct way - very helpful.

Heck, I've had people see me do it the correct way and then tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Odd to see this thread today. This morning I was playing with someone I've played with since I was ten and finally noticed he was doing it wrong and talked to him about it. Of course he pointed out that I was the one that taught him how to do it that way about 40 years ago.... I finally learned it was wrong somewhere in the late 90s but it never really came up for him because he never really questioned it.

Do you think it’s more ignorance (for instance new golfers who might not know any different), or entitlement?

Sometimes it is because the greens tend to be firm so the mark is often not that pronounced and usually not near the ball. I know I've left a few I knew where there but couldn't find.

Fortunately, all the guys in my regular group (properly) repair our own ball marks, plus at least 1 or 2 others. Sometimes it seems like we're the only ones on the course that do, though. Since we're members and play there all the time, we kind of have a vested interest in trying to help keep the course nice.

Sometimes it is because the greens tend to be firm so the mark is often not that pronounced and usually not near the ball. I know I've left a few I knew where there but couldn't find.
Completely agree that these happen from time-to-time. But they're the extreme minority, I expect. And if you're looking for ball marks but can't find your own, I bet you've repaired others during that time, right? And more often than not, when you can't find your ball mark the conditions aren't ideal. Now compare that with the guys who are hitting on to a fully established green where the ball marks are easy to spot.

Everyone has an opinion! It’s all good!

Hyper-critical people R whey 2 picky!

I'm sure some of the marks left are from new golfers that don't know any better, but I believe (I have no proof) that most of them are for inconsiderate golfers that just don't care.

Golfers who take pride in their game seem to always fix ball marks and fix them properly. I always fix mine and also fix any I see that others have made before, and know the proper technique. I just corrected a fellow golfer who used the lifting method instead of the proper method. Here is a video on how to fix ball marks:

I fix marks because it's a good karma thing to do.

some sort of etiquette classes including where to leave your clubs/bags when hitting shots, how to keep pace of play (what pace of play should be) and taking care of the course.

hope some of it sinks in to even a few knuckleheads.

I've always said that there needs to be a test taken before you are allowed to play, period. You have to take a test to drive, right? Why not the same for this? I mean let's not go to extremes but I think it could work

I've always said that there needs to be a test taken before you are allowed to play, period. You have to take a test to drive, right? Why not the same for this? I mean let's not go to extremes but I think it could work

I had the same discussion the last 2 weekends while we struggled to play a flat course that has very few extended walks between tee/green in under 5 hours. Require a certification to make a tee time before certain times of the day on weekends. Really think it would help with pace and probably reduce the amount of new players who get put off by experienced golfers because they are frustrated with the Pace.

In Germany, there is. A test and a permit issued when it is passed.

In Germany, there is. A test and a permit issued when it is passed.
Right (y) & then you present that card every time. Without it, you don't play

speaking of ball mark repair..... i really find the single prong repair tools to be superior to the double prong version....
just seems to do a better job... imo

speaking of ball mark repair..... i really find the single prong repair tools to be superior to the double prong version....
just seems to do a better job... imo
Now see, I prefer the 2 prong and find the single rips up the turf more. 🤔

Control freaks of America
How about can you mind your own business test

I play my own pace and as a gentleman let others play thru between holes
Ain’t that the way it works

BKRoll.JPG

Control freaks of America
How about can you mind your own business test

I play my own pace and as a gentleman let others play thru between holes
Ain’t that the way it works
How about knowing the rules & etiquette before opening your yap :unsure:

Man is entitled to his opinion, go for it!
Supposed to be a free country live and let live
It’s all good

Back