Ball Position when putting?

T-BONE82

Reaction score
Handicap
I've having trouble with my aiming. this year i've typically been placing my ball at the instep of my front foot and i feel like it may be affecting my aim so i'm moving back to the middle of my stance to see if that helps.

Any suggestions on the best ball position when putting?

Man, I wish I knew. I usually go a ball forward of the middle.

I have no suggestions. I have it about 2 inches inside my front foot.

I go slightly forward of center, which appears to be the common thought here.

Mine is usually a ball or two forward from the middle too.

Slightly forward of center..

center01.jpg

Just forward of center.

Or where ever the RST2 on my SeeMore says.

I believe in dead center. Here is a good video with one of the best putting coaches in the world that we shot this year.

I putt with the ball just forward of center...maybe a ball or two.

Most instructors will say JUST forward of center - just enough so that the putter is in the absolute center.

I go much further forward though. When I play it in the middle I hit the ball with the top of the putter face rather than the insert. Apparently I'm creating too much forward shaft lean at impact, though I can't feel how it's happening. So, I offset that by playing the ball further forward.

Whatever feels most comfortable for you. Generally, I would say middle or closer to front foot.

Putting is so intimate that what works for one person doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for you. I experimented a long time with centre of stance, a ball just forward, open stance a la Mickelson, and off of left toe. Ultimately, I'm just inside the left heel. If aim is an issue and you have a blade... try a mallet. I went Two-Ball and haven't looked back.

Alex

I even tried closed like Briny Baird

Almost dead on center, my putter is center.

Thanks for the video JB. My putting has been killing me and I think its because of the unnatural straight back straight through stroke. I'm gonna try going back to the arc. I usually putt with the ball more forward also.

I try my best to go with dead center. I have messed around with other ways, but I am most comfortable with it being smack in the middle of my feet, and keep my putting stroke nice and even.

I thought I remembered seeing something about standing as if you are setting up to putt, then dropping a ball from under your right eye and where the ball lands is generally where you should set up. It is not exactly the most scientific method.. but from that I took that the ball should be under your right eye (for right handers) and thus, slightly back from center.

After reading so many posts suggesting just forward of center, I'm thinking about tinkering a bit.

Well.. Maybe I do sneak the ball closer to center.. hmm... maybe I should know what I do when I putt..

I really struggle with putting. Not aim so much, but distance. The best putting tip I've found is to focus on the back edge of the ball where the putter contacts the ball. It makes sense, your eyes should be looking at as tiny a target as possible rather than generally at the ball...

I tend to go about a club head back from my front foot (so just forward of center) but honestly you can put the ball wherever in my opinion. Putting is all about consistency. I tend to push putts right if they are too far to center that is why I moved the ball up more.

i just recently moved my ball up to inside my front foot its helped my putting i putt SBST. dunno if that makes a difference or not

Before testing the SeeMore I was playing the ball inside my left heel because I didn't know much else. Since testing the SeeMore the ball is very close if at all a ball left of center with the putter being in the center.

I try to play the ball in back of my stance for left to right and up in my stance for right to left. My eyes are just inside of the line my ball sits on. If I get to far over the ball the nI will have a bad putting day.

about 2 balls forward of center for me, putter is either dead center or just slightly forward.

I put the ball in a center position, where when I lean over the ball I am looking straight down at it.

Back