Ball spin question

uitar99

Reaction score
Handicap
Folks, I probably should know this answer...but....yesterday tried some Wilson staff duo balls (non urethane). I am a lefty and do have a fade bias but noticed that on approach shots where I surprisingly was hitting a few greens, the ball spun like crazy left, after hitting the green, despite the ball flight being fairly straight, especially from short range. Say 75 yards. They were fairly high soft shots.

I hadn't seen that with the previous E6's I was using.

I would have thought the Wilson's would have been slicing in the air with that much spin.

usually a fade comes from an over the top swing path and that generates side spin. the ball spinning away from you once it hits the green is a sign of that

thanks folks

I would check this out.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-golf-industry-uncut-volume-22-golf-ball-talk-with-srixon/

It discusses what a golf ball does and why it does it. I think it answers a TON of misnomers out there about spin, distance, launch and what makes a golf ball do what. On full swings, you should not have too much trouble with spin regardless of the cover, because it is not the only factor in what is causing it.

Thanks for this, gave it a listen. Very informative

usually a fade comes from an over the top swing path and that generates side spin. the ball spinning away from you once it hits the green is a sign of that

Thanks for the thought. I had discovered a flatter swing plane with driver and woods which is straightening out the ball flight (and probably less side spin). Never gave it any thought for longer irons. Gave this a try in the back yard yesterday with 5 iron, 50 or 60 ball less swings. Gonna give this a try at the range on friday. Try and groove the flatter swing plane thought.

Back