Ball to reduce side spin

I found a difference in over 1,000 RPMs of spin in the Bridgestone Tour B lineup between the four balls, using an 8 iron on GC Quad. You can ABSOLUTELY lower spin based on ball selection and it's a great way to better fit what works for you out there.

Funny - I actually just posted in the Saintnine U-Pro thread about something similar. I figured I'd mess around with some of the balls I had in the house and these were consistently spinning higher than my gamer ball on full iron swings - easily over 1K.

I think what is actually really misleading is how some people turn to equipment to repair bad swing habits. It's not that difficult to keep the ball in play, just get rid of the over-the-top outside in swing , it's just that simple.
What difference does it make how people want to play golf? and why is innovation such a scary thing? Should we still all be playing wound balls?

I use a low spin ball because I am a high launch, high spin player and it's proved incredibly beneficial to me this year. It was a hell of a lot more simple than altering a 30 year old swing from being too tall and I've been able to play very proficiently with the help of modern technology. Why would I play a ball that doesn't fit my game?

Funny - I actually just posted in the Saintnine U-Pro thread about something similar. I figured I'd mess around with some of the balls I had in the house and these were consistently spinning higher than my gamer ball on full iron swings - easily over 1K.

Similar to what Dan saw. I actually have been testing a coming soon golf ball and they have a couple coming out. I consistently see about 500 rpms of spin difference off the tee between the two. That may not sound like a lot, but its a number of yards different in distance.

It's crazy, right? And for each golfer it's different based on the numbers they put on the ball.

..which comes back to why the hell someone who fits into ProV1x would be making big claims about cheaper balls being inefficient because of lower spin. :rolleyes:

It's with an 8 iron, for clarity.

That said, why does it matter? It is a clear representation of spin differences off four different balls with a bunch of swings with each.
While I find it important how a golf ball spins off an iron, I think for the majority of golfers out there the longer clubs are the more important clubs to concern yourself with spin, because those are the clubs that you can spin the ball right out of play. In all the golf I play, I don't notice that many golfers who can utilize spin with shorter irons, and for the short irons I don't think a ball will make that much difference concerning slicing or hooking the ball out of play. Now with a driver, this is a different story, and that's why I would like to see a video that shows results with a driver. Also, that's what the op is concerned with as well, indicated by him giving his swing speed.

Last edited:
This one trait is why I prefer the Srixon Z-Star XV. I'm not sure if there is another Srixon more suited to your swing speed, but for me, the Z-Star XV consistently tends to fall straight, even when I know I've imparted to much fade or draw spin.

Hello - Was looking for feedback on the best ball to reduce side spin.
I know the old E-series from Bridgestone helped, but not sure any longer.

Not on a budget just the best ball for this.
My SS is 88-90mph. Thank you and stay safe!
I might be in the minority, but I like the current Bridgestone e12 soft. I typically bounce between that one or Callaway ERC or Bridgestone RX. I tend to have a little too much spin off driver and have no problem stopping any of these on the green and have been sticking with lower spin balls.

Hello - Was looking for feedback on the best ball to reduce side spin.
I know the old E-series from Bridgestone helped, but not sure any longer.

Not on a budget just the best ball for this.
My SS is 88-90mph. Thank you and stay safe!
I really like the low compression balls for their reducing spin off driver. Although I swing faster, I too have realized their benefit in this area.

I've most recently tried the Tour B RX, Q-Star Tour, AVX, Chrome Soft, TM Tour Response and Wilson Duo-Professional.

I started playing soft compression balls during the colder months while back in NY (first for me was the Wilson Zip, billed as "zero" compression ).

But because I pretty consistently drive the ball better with low compression, I started using them at all times of the year, even in the summer heat here in NC.

All are great balls and I could see any one of them as being a particular player's favorite. The only one I personally cannot play is the AVX as it just won't hold greens for me off 7i, 6i, and 5i. Even some 8i shots may release way more than preferred. Very long but just not enough spin.

I really like the Tour Response in most aspects but a recent trip where I played in a firm breeze at times, it showed some issues. Side spin off driver was perceived to be enhanced more relative to other balls and wedge spin was very high, causing me to have distance issues.

So convinced prior that it was the ball for me, I packed just the Tour Response save for two Z-Stars that I'd found in the bag after inadvertently leaving them in there. When I switched to the Z-Star under the same conditions, the issues lessened to a noticeable and appreciated degree.

Of the low compression balls, the Duo-Pro is my favorite. I've played it since it first came out and it's just a very steady performer for me. I'll always try others as I find it fun to try new stuff but for any important match or event, the Duo-Pro goes back in the bag.

For me, it's plenty long off the tee and lower spin. With driver, I tend to play the ball more inside my front foot than most. I pretty much split the difference between my left heel and middle of the stance. Although I've no data, I'm pretty sure that this encourages a more negative angle of attack (AoA).

So perhaps that's why I benefit more from a lower spin ball. Imparting more spin through a negative AoA, bringing that down some, as far as I can tell, affords more distance for me and less side spin.

While on approaches it doesn't spin like the Chrome Soft, shots off irons either hop and stop fairly quickly or roll out acceptably. I'm not a one or two hop & stop type of chipper of the ball so running them out is my play. For that, off wedge and also off putter, I love their soft feel.

Closest comparison to the Duo-Pro among those I'd listed is the Tour B RX. Very, very similar play for me throughout the bag but I find the Duo-Pro to be consistently longer off driver.

Incidentally, I'd strayed for a while in testing the Tour Response and revisiting the Mizuno RB Tour, Snell MTB Black and Z-Star. But just last night, although I still have a dozen in matte yellow, I ordered another dozen of the Duo-Pro in white.

What can I say?.. they're my safety blanket.

Good luck to ya!

Last edited:
While I find it important how a golf ball spins off an iron, I think for the majority of golfers out there the longer clubs are the more important clubs to concern yourself with spin, because those are the clubs that you can spin the ball right out of play. In all the golf I play, I don't notice that many golfers who can utilize spin with shorter irons, and for the short irons I don't think a ball will make that much difference concerning slicing or hooking the ball out of play. Now with a driver, this is a different story, and that's why I would like to see a video that shows results with a driver. Also, that's what the op is concerned with as well, indicated by him giving his swing speed.
I don't mean to offend, but based on your "just get lessons and don't buy specific balls" comments I'm not sure you're fully in tune with 'the majority of golfers' :ROFLMAO:

You can think all you want that a video representing spin differences isn't relevant here, but I'm pretty damn comfortable suggesting it applies to all clubs in the bag. Also, slicing and hooking is hardly the catalyst of altering sidespin, but once again, we already know "slicing and hooking" isn't the concern here.

I'm going to move on, but man... I'd stop buying into the 'one swing' videos out there and citing them as gospel. It's nonsense at best, especially when the person is going from what they are fit for to something they are not.

Back