Bandon Dunes golf

Just sent my deposit for a week trip to Bandon Dunes July 2024. Looking forward to reading all the reviews here and reaching out to @tequila4kapp
Jealous, it’s a place I want to go but the pain of it all to get there holds me back significantly

Jealous, it’s a place I want to go but the pain of it all to get there holds me back significantly

In late spring through summer there are nonstop from SFO and Denver to Coos Bay. Makes the journey really easy.

I"m very lucky to have been there twice playing a total of 12 rounds and I've gotten all the different weather types from perfect to driving rain to 40 mph winds. We all like perfect weather but playing courses on the ocean I feel like I got the true experience.

However my most memorable round was a second round of the day on Bandon. It was windy for the morning round so only 1 other person out of 20 in our group wanted to play the second round and he quite after 9 because of the 40 mph winds. I played the back 9 by myself with the marshal coming by a few times to check on me. He said there was only 1 other person on the course who was a local. He proceeded to tell me a bunch of the history of the course while also leaving me alone long enough to soak in the scenery. The sun started setting and the wind died down as I got to 16 for the most incredible view you could possibly imagine. As I got to 17 green I saw 2 of my buddies who played from 18 green to 17 green with their putters while trying to look for me (there was alcohol and gambling involved). We all played 18 together. Call me crazy but the uniqueness of that round will always stand out.

Just got back from Bandon - wonderful place down there - great staff and courses. The beauty of it next to the ocean was superb. BUT here comes the But - I dont need to see it again it was the most frustrating rounds of golf I have experienced in a while. The weather was sunny but so windy any golf bags left standing would blow over, if in a push cart it would sail away, When you hit a 190 yard club and nut it it went about 120 yards. an 8 Iron hit flush the ball would go about 90-100 yards. what is the fun in that???? and after 18 holes of golf you feel like you played 50 holes.
View attachment 9013480View attachment 9013481View attachment 9013482View attachment 9013483
It’s a different type of golf for sure. Try links golf on an English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish coast. Land of the 350 yard drives and 130 yard 4 irons. Fun sometimes but can be waring and frustrating too.

In fairness this is the worst season of weather out there and it’s a particularly bad winter this year.

In late spring through summer there are nonstop from SFO and Denver to Coos Bay. Makes the journey really easy.
Well that actually is great info to know!

In fairness this is the worst season of weather out there and it’s a particularly bad winter this year.
the weather is a total crapshoot all year long. I’ve had great/bad weather in August, January and May. The only thing you can count on is more wind in summer and the summer wind is out of the opposite direction from winter wind. The good news is these being legit links courses they play true regardless so you mostly only need to worry about taking care of yourself.

It used to be the case there was only one flight a day to/from SFO (I don’t know about now) so be sure to be patient/flexible in case you get unlucky with fog

It used to be the case there was only one flight a day to/from SFO (I don’t know about now) so be sure to be patient/flexible in case you get unlucky with fog
I try and avoid same day tee times where it’s so tight one hiccup screws it up, but one flight a day hiccup… man. That’s a next level stress

I would highly highly recommend going when the sunset is around 9pm. Bandon has this deal if you're staying on property, first round full price, second round half price, third round free. And the preserve, 13 hole counts as the second round which it is already reduced.

So we teed off at 750 (early times for resort only), second time 1250 on preserve, and third time at 350. The first and third rounds were on the normal courses.

Also, highly recommend staying at the new Round Lake rooms. Those were awesome.

I would highly highly recommend going when the sunset is around 9pm. Bandon has this deal if you're staying on property, first round full price, second round half price, third round free. And the preserve, 13 hole counts as the second round which it is already reduced.

So we teed off at 750 (early times for resort only), second time 1250 on preserve, and third time at 350. The first and third rounds were on the normal courses.

Also, highly recommend staying at the new Round Lake rooms. Those were awesome.
These are the tee times... good to know about the 3rd roundIMG_20230114_172602.jpg

These are the tee times... good to know about the 3rd roundView attachment 9150691
Very nice!
I like that you are playing at Pacific and Trails (highly underrated IMO) 2x.
If it was me I might look to trade one of my two Old Mac spots for another Bandon Dunes time.
Preserve sets up great for wagers and drinks. Lighten the bag (don’t need anything more than 6 or 7i) & have fun.
I need to give sheep ranch another try but so far I’m the only person in the known universe that doesn’t love it.
Remember the putting course adjacent to pacific (also sets up great for games with friends and drinks.

Last edited:
Very nice!
I like that you are playing a Pacific and Trails (highly underrated IMO) 2x.
If it was me I might look to trade one of my two Old Mac spots for another Bandon Dunes time.
Preserve sets up great for wagers and drinks. Lighten the bag (don’t need anything more than 6 or 7i) & have fun.
I need to give sheep ranch another try but so far I’m the only person in the known universe that doesn’t love it.
Remember the putting course adjacent to pacific (also sets up great for games with friends and drinks.

I second this on Old Mac. Trails was my favorite.

Kind of long shot...have a pre-paid at bandon Trails Saturday, 1.21.23 at 12:50 (well past their guaranteed finish, but i wanted to play trails lol) and first one, then the second person who were going now cannot make it.

@tequila4kapp no offense to anyone else, but Frank would 100% be my preference...if your shoulder is up to it...

But first come first serve, anyone want to either meet at Trails or drive up from Beaverton (I plan to leave around 6:30, I like to get there early and enjoy all of Bandon in a relaxed way) and play?

Frank? any chance you can?

Let me know peeps.

Kind of long shot...have a pre-paid at bandon Trails Saturday, 1.21.23 at 12:50 (well past their guaranteed finish, but i wanted to play trails lol) and first one, then the second person who were going now cannot make it.

@tequila4kapp no offense to anyone else, but Frank would 100% be my preference...if your shoulder is up to it...

But first come first serve, anyone want to either meet at Trails or drive up from Beaverton (I plan to leave around 6:30, I like to get there early and enjoy all of Bandon in a relaxed way) and play?

Frank? any chance you can?

Let me know peeps.
Ah man, I can't do it - I'm booked, booked, booked with softball and basketball coaching responsibilities. Surely another THPer on the I-5 corridor will take you up on this. (For those not paying attention...this is the Trails course at Bandon Dunes.

btw...if you plan to get a caddy, disregard the following; they work hard and have a right to make a buck. It is also partially a tongue in cheek way of my public extending of gratitude...But if you are not planning the caddy....

I have a sneaky, backdoor way for you to play Bandon Dunes with virtually all the knowledge a caddy provides for less cost. When you book your round, book one extra slot. Ring up @tequila4kapp and tell him his round(s) are paid. Give him a brief explanation of your skills and tendencies...the man can walk you through the holes.

Genesis of this: he texted me a "do thus and such" for every hole at Bandon Trails. Now, am I saying I did what he said? no...but I tried and when I missed I saw exactly what he meant. I have played 3 of the tracks with him including one where we had a caddy and before the round he had mentioned what the caddy might say...and the caddy virtually quoted him verbatim. He knows the lines to take, the distances to hit...truly impressive.

btw...if you plan to get a caddy, disregard the following; they work hard and have a right to make a buck. It is also partially a tongue in cheek way of my public extending of gratitude...But if you are not planning the caddy....

I have a sneaky, backdoor way for you to play Bandon Dunes with virtually all the knowledge a caddy provides for less cost. When you book your round, book one extra slot. Ring up @tequila4kapp and tell him his round(s) are paid. Give him a brief explanation of your skills and tendencies...the man can walk you through the holes.

Genesis of this: he texted me a "do thus and such" for every hole at Bandon Trails. Now, am I saying I did what he said? no...but I tried and when I missed I saw exactly what he meant. I have played 3 of the tracks with him including one where we had a caddy and before the round he had mentioned what the caddy might say...and the caddy virtually quoted him verbatim. He knows the lines to take, the distances to hit...truly impressive.

I am quite solid on all the older courses on lines, distances and approach shots. Solid on green-reading except I still lack some green-reading on Old Mac. Not sure why (probably because I don't pay as much attention?) but I need to improve my detail on all the par 3s. Maybe this year I will take good notes on the par 3s. :unsure:

Only played Sheep twice, so have nothing for that course.

I am quite solid on all the older courses on lines, distances and approach shots. Solid on green-reading except I still lack some green-reading on Old Mac. Not sure why (probably because I don't pay as much attention?) but I need to improve my detail on all the par 3s. Maybe this year I will take good notes on the par 3s. :unsure:

Only played Sheep twice, so have nothing for that course.
Same with me for Sheep.
Maybe because the Old Mac greens are the size of aircraft carriers and hard as frick to read/play????

Fortunate enough to have been twice. It's the best golf experience in my life. Went in early July and in late August. PERFECT weather both times. Yes, there is some wind. SO WHAT. 79 on Old Mac was my best round. Bandon Trails was my favorite course.

IMG_0468.jpeg

Back