Bandon Trip suggestions.

BanjoSaysWoof

Reaction score
Bandon is booked. 5 rounds, caddies, 2 rooms.

Questions:

1) resort stay or beach house? Beach house is much cheaper, is the resort worth the extra money?

2) is bandon preserve worth playing, or okay to skip?

3) any golf out there that’s not on the resort?

I'm following to see the replies. I'd love to make this trip someday. Have a blast BSW!

I’ve been many times. You gave me some softball questions.
1. Pay the money and stay on property. Not even close. The town of Bandon is nothing to write home about. Staying on property will increase your experience by a lot.
2. It is absolutely worth playing. It may end up being your most fun play of the trip. Bring beers, laugh, enjoy the views.
3. Bandon Crossings is about 10 miles south. (The resort is about a mile or two north of town, Crossings is on the south side of town). Crossings is a very highly regarded course. I’ve been to Bandon probably 15-20 times. I have never played Crossings. Honestly I have never even been tempted. You don’t go to Paris then skip the Louve to go see street artists.

There is a putting course next to Pacific Dunes. Note I said “course” not putting green. It is another fun option to do with beers and your friends.

Questions:

1) resort stay or beach house? Beach house is much cheaper, is the resort worth the extra money?

1) Think you could do either and feel like you didn’t miss out on anything. Was convenient staying on the property, no question.

2) DO NOT SKIP! So worth it.

3) Only golf that matters is there! I’m assuming you are playing the new sheep ranch? Hope so!

Have a blast!

1. Pay the money and stay on property. Not even close. The town of Bandon is nothing to write home about. Staying on property will increase your experience by a lot.
2. It is absolutely worth playing. It may end up being your most fun play of the trip. Bring beers, laugh, enjoy the views.
3. Bandon Crossings is about 10 miles south. (The resort is about a mile or two north of town, Crossings is on the south side of town). Crossings is a very highly regarded course. I’ve been to Bandon probably 15-20 times. I have never played Crossings. Honestly I have never even been tempted. You don’t go to Paris then skip the Louve to go see street artists.

There is a putting course next to Pacific Dunes. Note I said “course” not putting green. It is another fun option to do with beers and your friends.

Good info Kapp! Another Question: Have you always gone as part of a group? I imagine it would be a lot more enjoyable with friends. I also think I don't have any close friends who like golf enough to shell out for a trip like this?

Awesome. Thanks In advance!!

Re: 1, we just felt like we get a lot more space with a beach house instead of two rooms. Plus space to unwind and relax. Do the rooms/resort have that? Streamsong didn’t.

Re: 2, I’ll squeeze that in somehow. Thanks.

Re: 3, thats good to know. I just felt like after walking 5 rounds we may want to sit on a cart for a day haha.

Do whatever Tequila suggests

Hey, so I talked it over with the guys... one of them is ditching his wife and newborn for this trip so we’re giving him all the tiebreakers.

For lodging, 4 of us in one suite (as opposed to two rooms) is about $1300 a night. We can get a ridiculous house With a nice view for $700 and all have our own bedroom and lots of space. Also much cheaper options that also are quite spacious. I’ve done resorts and off property golf trips, and the resort, while convenient, doesn’t offer the same privacy and space as a house... to that end Would you stay in a house south of bandon or further north towards north bend?

Gonna handle preserve ASAP.

I was right about 90 holes + preserve being enough walking. For the final day, I was thinking of doing the $130 all day ride at bandon crossing. Is there anything else you’d play with carts instead?

We aren’t going exactly with what you said in your original response. We aren’t as a rule resort people, I guess We prefer privacy (I guess living in a city one on top of the other, We want space on vacation).

I have played crossings a couple times, it has no holes on the water, it is a fine course. We played it on a couple of trips, but we stopped going there and are not planning on playing there in 2021 when we go back.

As far as staying on site vs off... I have never stayed off and have no desire ever to. The main reason I have always stayed at the resort was the cost for everything went down considerably by staying on site. Depending on when you are going there are packages available that lower the cost. If you want to stay off site, do it.

I have played crossings a couple times, it has no holes on the water, it is a fine course. We played it on a couple of trips, but we stopped going there and are not planning on playing there in 2021 when we go back.

As far as staying on site vs off... I have never stayed off and have no desire ever to. The main reason I have always stayed at the resort was the cost for everything went down considerably by staying on site. Depending on when you are going there are packages available that lower the cost. If you want to stay off site, do it.

By my math, the 5 rounds of golf cost us $200 more in total per person if we stay off site. But we more than make up for that in housing. Am I missing something?

By my math, the 5 rounds of golf cost us $200 more in total per person if we stay off site. But we more than make up for that in housing. Am I missing something?

The cost is entirely dependent on when you go. For our trip in April 2021 the cost for 5 rounds, 4 nights, 4 breakfasts and 3 dinners will be roughly $1500 per person.

I would not consider staying offsite, just part of the experience that I want when I go to Bandon. It is absolutely nothing like going to a resort somewhere, there aren’t families running around, pools, activities etc. I always have commented that even in the middle of high season, it seems empty. Everyone there is there for golf, that’s it. They are either golfing, sleeping or having a beer in the bar.
That said, everyone has their own preference and if you prefer to stay offsite, I would try to stay close. Part of the fun and experience is jumping out to shortys for a bit, or randomly hitting up the punchbowl.

The cost is entirely dependent on when you go. For our trip in April 2021 the cost for 5 rounds, 4 nights, 4 breakfasts and 3 dinners will be roughly $1500 per person.

We’re going in July. I think including caddies were at 3200 a person of we stay at the hotel.... that’s before food and what not just golf and the room.

Interesting, thanks for the thread and responses.

@mancest - is it best to book a year ahead?

So they let you book tee times in July already without staying on resort? That is new. Especially if the upcharge is only $40 a round. The guys I travel with love to stay together in one spot. Bandon has their cabins but the $ is insane. July with the Sheepranch...Enjoy...

Interesting, thanks for the thread and responses.

@mancest - is it best to book a year ahead?

If you want to go on dates you are interested in and getting decent tee times, yes. they will let you start booking for all of 2021 in january of 2020. Rates aren't finalized at that point, but they will let you know what the current years rates so you have an idea of what it will cost.

I think I booked our trip January 5th for early april 2021. It requires a deposit, but think it is fully refundable up to 30 days out, and after that it is still cancelable but then must be used as credit at the course. Some of the terms have changed since it was sold, but they are still pretty reasonable from my perspective.

Questions:

1. I love the resort but I usually play in tournaments there so I am not going to say which is best.
2. I like the preserve but I don't like paying $100 for it. I played once and have not done it again. I would rather spend the time on the Punchbowl.
3. Crossings is fun. I have played once and have not been back.

Good info Kapp! Another Question: Have you always gone as part of a group? I imagine it would be a lot more enjoyable with friends. I also think I don't have any close friends who like golf enough to shell out for a trip like this?
One time the family was camping and the wife encouraged me to bring the sticks and go play a round. Other than that I have always gone with at least one friend. Most of those trips were as part of a 30+ group of guys. The golf will be great either way. The overall experience is a million times better with friends. There's nothing to do around there except the golf so hanging out in a bar or restaurant is a really common way to spend down time, and for me at least that's way better when I'm with people I know.

Awesome. Thanks In advance!!

Re: 1, we just felt like we get a lot more space with a beach house instead of two rooms. Plus space to unwind and relax. Do the rooms/resort have that? Streamsong didn’t.

Re: 2, I’ll squeeze that in somehow. Thanks.

Re: 3, thats good to know. I just felt like after walking 5 rounds we may want to sit on a cart for a day haha.
IMHO you are way better off being on property. Instead of hanging out in the house you will take the shuttle to hang out in the Tufted Puffin at the Lodge, etc. That is the way being on site increases the experience. There's a campground near the course that we've been to many times as a family. I've spent a lot of time in and around the town of Bandon. It isn't anything to write home about. If your group really wants a sleepy downtime experience then yeah, I guess that could be better. But you can get that in a million other places besides a resort with 4 world class golf courses. For my money it just isn't the way to go at all. You have to realize this isn't going to be like any other golf resort you have been to. It is golf and only golf. No families, hardly any women...just guys, golf, beer, food, golf.

Even though I've never done it I have had a million people in the know tell me to use Crossings for just that type of thing...if someone in your group needs a break from the walking go play Crossings.

Last edited:
Hey, so I talked it over with the guys... one of them is ditching his wife and newborn for this trip so we’re giving him all the tiebreakers.

For lodging, 4 of us in one suite (as opposed to two rooms) is about $1300 a night. We can get a ridiculous house With a nice view for $700 and all have our own bedroom and lots of space. Also much cheaper options that also are quite spacious. I’ve done resorts and off property golf trips, and the resort, while convenient, doesn’t offer the same privacy and space as a house... to that end Would you stay in a house south of bandon or further north towards north bend?

Gonna handle preserve ASAP.

I was right about 90 holes + preserve being enough walking. For the final day, I was thinking of doing the $130 all day ride at bandon crossing. Is there anything else you’d play with carts instead?

We aren’t going exactly with what you said in your original response. We aren’t as a rule resort people, I guess We prefer privacy (I guess living in a city one on top of the other, We want space on vacation).
The way to do Bandon isn't to get a suite so the four of you can be together. You want two double rooms then you meet up on site. But if you are set on getting a house ... North Bend is a bigger city about 30 minutes away from Bandon. I don't see you getting the 'quiet views' experience there at all. If you go maybe a mile south of Bandon the area is basically open unused beaches. My guess is that's where you'd want to look for housing. But you've now got a 15 minute drive to the resort and your golf costs more.

Have a GREAT time!
1. We stay at the resort. It is part of the experience, but if you can save huge $$$ that may allow you to play an extra round or two or have a catered dinner one night. It is a tough call. July will be crowded and the pace suffers, so factor that into your logistics. Staying on the property relieves some of that issue. NOTE: the northwesterly winds will likely be up in the afternoons in July. Schedule your tee times as early in the day as you can, and spend your afternoons enjoying the Oregon coast parks.
2. Definitely play the Preserve. The money goes to a good cause (sustaining Oregon rivers). Also, definitely play the putting course in the evening. It is more fun than you have ever had on a putting green.
3. Bandon Crossings is definitely worth your time and money. It was designed by Dan Hixon, the same guy who did Wine Valley in Walla Walla. If I was "sentenced" to play only one course the rest of my life, Wine Valley might be it. I'm a BIG Dan Hixon fan. Also consider a trip up to Florence Golf Links in Florence, OR. It is a Rees Jones design, very linksy. It used to be called Sandpines. We never miss playing it when we make the journey to Bandon. It is one of those gems that not many people other than locals know about. Check it out online.

Last edited:
I can just about guarantee you that someone is going to want to play a replay round, especially early in the trip. If you stay onsite those rounds are like $100, so there's a cost benefit. And if you are offsite and part of your group wants to do a replay you get the logistical issues of getting part of the group back home, etc. More food for thought.

So,

We talked it over, @tequila4kapp I shared your thoughts and quotes from the post.

-2 doubles at the resort won out. I reminded everyone that even though I don’t drink, I am not DD for this trip so someone has to commit to sobriety every night. Funny how that worked.

-Check in day, just get ourselves acclimated. Maybe we have time to hit balls or putt. Maybe we don’t. We’ll see. No rush and nothing on the schedule.

-day 1, 10 am, preserve. Bandon Dunes at 2:20. The thought is we will have time to do shortys, putt a bit, etc in the morning. Between that and preserve, and dunes, it should feel like 36.

-day 2: pacific dunes, 8 am. Sheep’s ranch 2:20 pm.

-day 3: old Macdonald 9:40, bandon trails 3:40 (she said it’s guaranteed finish)

-day 4: bandon crossings all day with a cart.... I have to call them to confirm.

-day 5: we leave.

Now, food...

1) do I need to make dinner reservations?

2) the food options feel pretty similar at the breakfast places and lunch places. Is that fair? Like eating lunch at whatever is convenient is the best way to go and not “seek out” food?

3) is the clubhouse food the turn food? Or is on course food different?

4) any restaurants which you’d say just aren’t worth it?

5) assuming it’s safe to say town of bandon has nothing that’s worth seeking out for food?

So,

We talked it over, @tequila4kapp I shared your thoughts and quotes from the post.

-2 doubles at the resort won out. I reminded everyone that even though I don’t drink, I am not DD for this trip so someone has to commit to sobriety every night. Funny how that worked.

-Check in day, just get ourselves acclimated. Maybe we have time to hit balls or putt. Maybe we don’t. We’ll see. No rush and nothing on the schedule.

-day 1, 10 am, preserve. Bandon Dunes at 2:20. The thought is we will have time to do shortys, putt a bit, etc in the morning. Between that and preserve, and dunes, it should feel like 36.

-day 2: pacific dunes, 8 am. Sheep’s ranch 2:20 pm.

-day 3: old Macdonald 9:40, bandon trails 3:40 (she said it’s guaranteed finish)

-day 4: bandon crossings all day with a cart.... I have to call them to confirm.

-day 5: we leave.

Now, food...

1) do I need to make dinner reservations?

2) the food options feel pretty similar at the breakfast places and lunch places. Is that fair? Like eating lunch at whatever is convenient is the best way to go and not “seek out” food?

3) is the clubhouse food the turn food? Or is on course food different?

4) any restaurants which you’d say just aren’t worth it?

5) assuming it’s safe to say town of bandon has nothing that’s worth seeking out for food?

1) I would for dinner, but if you have 4, shouldn't be too big of a concern (we have gone with groups of 8 and 12 so tougher to get a table).

2) no, there are other options, McKee's pub is my favorite of all of them, breakfast is at the main hotel where you check in (also where bandon dunes is), maybe they have added to the other restaurants, but in my experience that was the only breakfast option.

3) no, most of the courses don't have spot at the turn, but they have an on course (not sure about sheep ranch as I have yet to play it, but I would assume) spot for a hot dog, drinks and what not. Bandon Dunes is at the turn, think pacific is at 7, Trails at 12 or something, trying to remember about Old Mac.

4) personally I have never cared for dinner at Pacific dunes, it was the worst of all the restaurants. My rankings would be McKee's pub, Bandon Trails (only ever ate lunch there), Bandon Dunes and finally Pacific dunes. Like the courses themselves, I am sure others have their own rankings.

5) went to dinner a couple times in Bandon, the only positive was that it was ridiculously cheap compared to the resort.

I also forgot that on our last trip they started adding on an automatic gratuity no matter how many are in your party, and I think it was over 20%. Maybe they have changed that, but I doubt it. Just remember when you pay the bill to take a look before you add on an extra tip.

Back