prrc

Reaction score
Handicap
I have always used an overlap grip. Not sure why. I have always been a sweeper of the ball. Dont really take much of a divot. Play to a 6.5. So long story short I smashed a finger in my right hand at work the other day. Went to play on Sunday. After a couple of swings the overlap grip was really uncomfortable. So with little to no thought I changed my grip to a baseball grip. To my amazement I had better control of the club irons shots to a divot effortlessly every shot. Shot my best score ever.
Not sure what to think of the change.
Anyone else had a similar experience.
Everything I've read on this grip says used by juniors. People with small hands or people with weak forearms.
I don't fall into any of these categories.
Interested to see if it's the same next time out.

I used an interlock grip until last year when I developed a severe case of tendinitis in my middle and ring fingers on the low hand. Moved over to a baseball grip and had just as much control as I ever had with none of the pain.

Same here. I switched to the ten finger grip last year after playing my whole life with an interlocking grip. My fingers have been injured numerous times over the years, and the baseball grip is just way more comfortable. I haven't seen any loss of control, and on top of that I find it much easier to close the club face, so I almost never slice anymore.

I've never played with anything but an Interlocking Grip (Vardon doesn't really feel right for me, and I feel like I inadvertently separate my hands with the ten-finger), but I'm glad to read that you've found success with the experimentation. It's very inspiring to read stories like this, where even as a good player, you're able to overcome some adversity to find a way to continue to enjoy the game.

-Bishop

"Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to do and die." ahhhem! Well something like that missing the life consequences. Glad to hear that the ball is still rolling!

Was there a golfer dismay'd?
Not tho' the foresome knew.
Some finger had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply. *
Theirs but to do & die,
Into the valley of back nines
Rode the sixty-nines.

I played with it for a couple of seasons, went from an interlock to the baseball, back to the interlock. It didn't seem to affect my play noticeably. (As in, I shot 8 strokes better or worse on average.) A buddy of mine has used one his whole life and he carries around a 12 handicap.

I have small hands and weak forearms, am 71 yrs old. Have always used interlock grip. I'm gonna have to try the baseball grip.

I played with an overlap grip from the beginning at 11. Then one day at about 30 I was playing in Florida, and lost all control of my game - one wild slice after another. A scratch golfer on an easy course, I was 11 over thru 11 holes, when out of desperation I went to the baseball grip - and voila! - control - I parred in for 83. I stayed with the baseball for a couple of years, but one day just decided to try the overlap and all was good. So from then on I have played the overlap with one exception - to this day at 65 I use the 10 finger baseball grip out of the sand. I just love the feel of it.

I started 10 finger baseball grip (grew up playing baseball) and like most baseball players sliced the ball off the planet. As I played golf more and more and my game developed I moved to the Vardon over lap and instantly saw a few things. I hit the ball much farther and I could square the face up better and actually turn it over for a draw. What I've observed is 10 finger grip slightly limits your ability to roll your wrist over and a 9 finger grip will just naturally soften up and engage your wrists more. Some people the 10 finger just works better and produces better results, but my thinking is there is a reason 99% of pro players do not have a 10 finger grip.

I used it for a while and was the most accurate I think I have ever been off the tee, but I had to force myself to grip it that way since I had always been an interlock guy. I might have to try it on the range tomorrow to see how it does now.

Glad to hear some other stories that are similar to mine. Will be interesting to see what happens this weekend.

I used to use the interlocking grip, but switched to baseball grip a few years ago. It works for me.

I use the baseball grip for my driver only... like some have mentioned I feel the baseball grip allows me to close the face easier and more naturally. Whatever reason with the driver I always would leave the club face open at impact for a big fade, yet I hit straight or slightly draw every other club in the bag with an interlock grip. Since ive used the baseball grip with the driver now im much more accurate and almost completely eliminated the slice.

Team baseball grip for the win! I played baseball growing up and for some reason have just always gripped the golf club like that too since I can remember. I've tried the other grips and just seem way to uncomfortable to me so heck with em. Baseball grip works for me!

I hurt my right index finger playing hockey this winter and the interlock has become uncomfortable. I've been using the baseball grip in the sim and practicing with the speed sticks so curious on how it translates to the course.

For some reason, I lose distance going to 10-finger, even though I seem to hit the ball straighter and just as solid.

I can’t use anything other than baseball grip. I’ve tried overlap and interlock and and am extremely uncomfortable with both, and feel like I have no control.

Anyone try a baseball grip this year? Any year?

Anyone try a baseball grip this year? Any year?
I used the baseball grip for years before I experimented with overlap and interlocking. Finally settled on interlocking and have stayed with it ever since.

I've always used a 10 finger grip when golfing. I've tried interlock and it just doesn't feel right

I used interlock forever, earlier this year I tried overlap and it was a nice change, then one day for shats and grins I tried baseball and like the OP stated it was a difference I did not expect. The ball coming off the face just feels crisp and to be honest when I look at the divot it looks like a perfect divot, whatever that may look like, the width is a little smaller than the head, idk 3" long, not deep just a little undercut, it just feels like more of a solid contact for some reason. I have thought about why change away from it and if I was going to since I'm on break right now due to winter months this would be the time going into next season. I think I might stay with it though. It's interesting though because its not "conventional" its like clubs you don't want to play so you doubt it. But its working..

I am very familiar with the baseball/ten finger grip. I expect to move on to it from my current Vardon Grip in the future should my hands get tired with age. .

I switch out from the overlap to baseball (10 finger) grip from time to time. I like it and haven’t seen a change in my game when I do it.

I can use all the grips, but right now using baseball grip. Seems to be the easiest on my fingers at the moment.

Back