Bayonet Black Horse/ Poppy Hills NCGA

ForeOnFour

Leave no birdie behind
Reaction score
Handicap
So a couple weeks ago my partner and I qualified for the Northern California Golf Association at our local club to go play BBH and Poppy Hills on June 20th and 21st. Pretty excited to play there, represent my club and hopefully win to come back and play Poppy and Spy Glass in late August.

I've never played BBH or Poppy. Anybody who has played have any info or tidbits you'd like to share to help me prepare?

Also my partner cant make it down until late night on the 19th but I took the 19th off work and want to go down early and get a practice round in. Thinking BBH for the practice round. Any THPers around after say 2pm on the 19th want to play?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blackhorse and Poppy both have tricky greens. Bayonet requires you to be straight off the tee. Blackhorse is a meh course for me. Poppy and Bayonet are outstanding courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just at Poppy a couple of weeks ago and its in great shape. Find where the ocean is and that's pretty much where the slope will run on that course. They have swapped nines so the first hole is a par 5. Slopes hard to the left. There is a pond about 270 yards out that runs along the left side of the fairway. There is a very tall, skinny tree that is on the left side of the fairway, stay just to right of it and you'll be golden. 2nd hole is a par 3 that plays around 130-140 yards and runs left to right. On number 10(the old #1)fairway bunkers run down the right side of the fairway. The hole is a dog leg right. If you can hug the right side without going in the bunker you'll have a shorter shot into the green. You can play it safe and blast a fairway wood or hybrid down the middle and have a little more in. Big thing with that course is use a club that will keep you from getting in the trees. Fairways can be generous, but it offline, you'll pay for it.

Blackhorse and Poppy both have tricky greens. Bayonet requires you to be straight off the tee. Blackhorse is a meh course for me. Poppy and Bayonet are outstanding courses.

Got my tee sheet today and it will be poppy Thursday and Bayonet Friday. Good thing this Sunday is Father's Day, I can spend all day at the course playing/practicing and my wife cant complain.:act-up:

Got my tee sheet today and it will be poppy Thursday and Bayonet Friday. Good thing this Sunday is Father's Day, I can spend all day at the course playing/practicing and my wife cant complain.:act-up:

You’re gonna have a great 2 days!!!!!

Back