BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

USAF Ret in Wis;n8905406 said:
Originally posted by Nate View Post
Went spatchcock chicken on the RecTec tonight. Was wonderful and will be doing again soon!

Great to see another Rectec owner here :clapp:

Man that looks great. Kickin' myself for not going Rectec when I bought three years ago. Their videos are awesome. Went with a Firecraft, a poor man's version of Memphis, all stainless steel. It's great, still works great, but they went out of business, so if/when this one pukes Rectec will be first choice.

Nate;n8903224 said:
Went spatchcock chicken on the RecTec tonight. Was wonderful and will be doing again soon!

I have not done a spatchcock chicken. Do you mind sharing your rub and method?

USAF Ret in Wis;n8905406 said:
Great to see another Rectec owner here :clapp:

Love it. It's everything I thought it would be and more. Lot's of fun to smoke/BBQ/Grill for an amature like me! I cook a whole lot more since we got it. And the guys over at Rec Tec look like a blast and know what they are doing. Vidoes are great.

mbenro Holy Cow BBQ Rub - got it for brisket but used it for chicken a few times and like it just as much.Good stuff. Here is the video I used as a guide but it's basically just cutting out the backbone so it will spread out almost flat.

mbenro;n8905441 said:
Man that looks great. Kickin' myself for not going Rectec when I bought three years ago. Their videos are awesome. Went with a Firecraft, a poor man's version of Memphis, all stainless steel. It's great, still works great, but they went out of business, so if/when this one pukes Rectec will be first choice.

Being that pellet grills by and large are of similar design and function, your Firecraft is a ridiculously awesome machine. Very few would say that RecTec, Traeger, Grilla, etc would stand up to it. All Stainless to start with and a venting system that is fantastic and I believe (as you mentioned) used in the higher end Memphis machines. If you have the searing station option its a machine that is freaking fantastic.

JB;n8905555 said:
Being that pellet grills by and large are of similar design and function, your Firecraft is a ridiculously awesome machine. Very few would say that RecTec, Traeger, Grilla, etc would stand up to it. All Stainless to start with and a venting system that is fantastic and I believe (as you mentioned) used in the higher end Memphis machines. If you have the searing station option its a machine that is freaking fantastic.

Thanks JB. It is a great unit, and I am stunned they have apparently gone out of business. The market for pellet smoker/grills became very crowded and competitive in a short period of time, so they must have fallen victim to market saturation and/or bad management. Oh well, I'll use it as long as I can.

Reactions: JB
Any you guys do your bacon out on the grill/pellet's? Kiddos didn't want it in the microwave anyone once I brought a few pieces in.

Nate;n8906822 said:
Any you guys do your bacon out on the grill/pellet's? Kiddos didn't want it in the microwave anyone once I brought a few pieces in.

thick cut, pepper crusted, cook on gas grill low heat, turn often and slather in sweet baby ray's every time you turn.

Nicegy525;n8906970 said:
Originally posted by Nate View Post

thick cut, pepper crusted, cook on gas grill low heat, turn often and slather in sweet baby ray's every time you turn.

hard to beat thick cut bacon off any kind of smoker, I just sprinkle brown sugar on mine, but I'm gonna try the sweet baby rays

mbenro;n8907052 said:
hard to beat thick cut bacon off any kind of smoker, I just sprinkle brown sugar on mine, but I'm gonna try the sweet baby rays

I just go straight up.....turn the sear plates over and let 'em go to town.

Anyone here have any experience wtih Butcher Box?

We did a little shrimp boil
last night. Love Zatarains Crab and Shrimp boil

Attachments

• photo37402.jpg
    photo37402.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • photo37403.jpg
    photo37403.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
@JB i finally pulled the trigger.

Moving sucks, but selling a bunch of crap funded this:

image.jpg

Pit Boss Classic. Doing the initial burn in this morning before I have to go back to unpacking.

@JB i finally pulled the trigger.

Moving sucks, but selling a bunch of crap funded this:

View attachment 8908093

Pit Boss Classic. Doing the initial burn in this morning before I have to go back to unpacking.

Damn man, Pit Boss Classic is a nice machine. Looking forward to your updates in here.

Damn man, Pit Boss Classic is a nice machine. Looking forward to your updates in here.

I went a bit goofy trying to decide, but this one went on sale and was a solid balance of size and price.

I’m hoping to cook dinner on it tonight, if all goes well.

I went a bit goofy trying to decide, but this one went on sale and was a solid balance of size and price.

I’m hoping to cook dinner on it tonight, if all goes well.

It cooks well, has some great features and is a bargain.

Had some prime beef ribs I got from Porter Road. Just outstanding. Three hours at 250*, then 2 hours wrapped, then half hour unwrapped for the sauce. The meat was soft as butter. Used Kosmo-Q competition sauce.

First cook on the pit boss went swimmingly! A pair of nice thick rib eyes, reverse seared. About 30-40 minutes @ 250 and then cranked the heat to 500 for a sear, just over the fire pot and got a decent seat, and solid grill marks.

I’ve got a pork butt thawing now for Tuesday (assuming it thaws by then) and we’ll do a true smoke on it.

First cook on the pit boss went swimmingly! A pair of nice thick rib eyes, reverse seared. About 30-40 minutes @ 250 and then cranked the heat to 500 for a sear, just over the fire pot and got a decent seat, and solid grill marks.

I’ve got a pork butt thawing now for Tuesday (assuming it thaws by then) and we’ll do a true smoke on it.

Awesome. In the future look into grill grates for yours and you will never be happier. Fantastic product in so many ways.

victory pizza for MNF, homemade sauce and crust on my pellet smoker, my buddies red zinfadel, garbage game but my guys won.....victory pizza.jpg

Looking good.

Hey @GolferGal I think we should BBQ up some Iberico ribs this weekend.

2nd and 3rd cook tonight. Country ribs for dinner and a pork butt for dinner tomorrow!

A2573F9D-2C9E-4593-B0A3-F61CB470F6E8.jpeg

7EFA6330-CC2A-4D75-8B8F-5FA1CAB30207.jpeg

Looking good dazeed.

That's great. For us, nothing beats reverse sear filets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back