BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

One on my small joys through this lockdown has been firing up the charcoal tailgate grill, having a beer and sitting in a fold up chair and reading THP. I’m getting pretty good at this little grill now and can’t wait to step my game up at future tailgate. Today it is hot dogs for lunch, but the other day it was fajitas.

did the same thing last night. I agree 100%. It was so relaxing/refreshing just sitting on the deck with my wife sipping drinks as our brats and dogs sizzled away.

I have learned that making an even fire that doesn’t last too long is a bit of an art. It has been a blast, and makes me wonder why I use a propane grill most nights. Maybe some of my stimulus money is going to go towards a Traeger.

hahaha. So true. We had a gas grill for the past couple years before giving it to my in laws to replace their decades old grill. I now use the bottom of my old Weber smoker as a grill and it works great - except when you use wayyyyyyyyy too much charcoal like I did the first time after the hiatus. I’ll learn.

ive only taken my Traeger on three cooks (bought it on leap day during a sale) but I love love LOVE IT. the only thing I regret so far is not buying one five years ago.

hahaha. So true. We had a gas grill for the past couple years before giving it to my in laws to replace their decades old grill. I now use the bottom of my old Weber smoker as a grill and it works great - except when you use wayyyyyyyyy too much charcoal like I did the first time after the hiatus. I’ll learn.

ive only taken my Traeger on three cooks (bought it on leap day during a sale) but I love love LOVE IT. the only thing I regret so far is not buying one five years ago.
It’s going to happen for me once I finish the back yard small remodel and a good sale comes along.

Been perusing the market for a new grill/smoker. Have a propane grill and use it a lot. But I def want something to get that lovely smoke taste. Want something versatile that won’t break the bank. Pellet grill? Kamado Joe? Charcoal smoker? Recommendations needed

Been perusing the market for a new grill/smoker. Have a propane grill and use it a lot. But I def want something to get that lovely smoke taste. Want something versatile that won’t break the bank. Pellet grill? Kamado Joe? Charcoal smoker? Recommendations needed

Really depends on what you plan to do with it. I’m a pellet grill person. I love that it’s basically a set it and forget it. I love not having to deal with open flames or trying to regulate temperature. I also like that it doesn’t add too much smoke because I don‘t like overly Smokey food.

Really depends on what you plan to do with it. I’m a pellet grill person. I love that it’s basically a set it and forget it. I love not having to deal with open flames or trying to regulate temperature. I also like that it doesn’t add too much smoke because I don‘t like overly Smokey food.
I’d probably want to cook most everything on it but at the same time, I have the propane grill still if needed. I do really like the smoke flavor but the goal is to be able to smoke BBQ well, as well as whatever else it can be used for - pizzas, steaks, burgers, bacon, desserts?

I do like the thought of set it and forget it

I’d probably want to cook most everything on it but at the same time, I have the propane grill still if needed. I do really like the smoke flavor but the goal is to be able to smoke BBQ well, as well as whatever else it can be used for - pizzas, steaks, burgers, bacon, desserts?

I do like the thought of set it and forget it

I have done so much on my pellet grill. I have even baked a banana bread. And you can buy smoke tubes so if you want more smoke you can add that and it works really well. It’s not great for searing, but you can buy an accessory called Grill Grates or just use your gas grill for that.

BGE/kamodo Joe if you have all the time in the world.
Pellet grill if not. Rec tec is pretty highly recommended around here. Traeger will get the job done.

BGE/kamodo Joe if you have all the time in the world.
Pellet grill if not. Rec tec is pretty highly recommended around here. Traeger will get the job done.

I have a Traeger and a Grilla pellet grill and I would take the Grilla over the Traeger any day. They are fine, but way over priced IMO.

I have a Traeger and a Grilla pellet grill and I would take the Grilla over the Traeger any day. They are fine, but way over priced IMO.

Yeah, traegers were the "cheap" ones when I was pricing years ago. Never looked at grilla.

Yeah, traegers were the "cheap" ones when I was pricing years ago. Never looked at grilla.

They were pretty much the only ones for years because the owned the patents, but once those were up we saw a flooding of the market with different pellet grill brands. So many great options out there now.

I've got some baby-backs going today. Offset from heat on the kettle grill in a vertical rack - maintaining just a few hardwood coals with a hinged grill grate - and some hickory chips in a little smoke box adjacent the coals. Poor-man's set-up, but it works great for stuff that doesn't need tons of time.
Ribs and poultry come out with great flavor from this set-up.

My go-to rub is assorted chili powders, smoked paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder, wee bit of salt, and a bit of light brown sugar.

Got some reds on the Rectec

BEF3FB80-229F-4A44-8D78-AD47138FA217.jpeg

The Grilla is AMAZING.

Small pork butt from Porter Road all rubbed and hitting the smoker in a few hours.

C8F0C1AD-D2B6-4A0C-BDD3-D2D1D090EECF.jpeg

Small pork butt from Porter Road all rubbed and hitting the smoker in a few hours.

View attachment 8935604
Ugh. This is another reason I really want to buy a butcher pig. Would be nice to have cuts like that in the freezer and ready anytime. Having the 1/2 cow has been awwwweeeessooomeeee.

Got some chicken wings that I am going to smoke on the Pitt Boss then finish in the air fryer. Some bacon wrapped jalapenos, foil pack potatoes and baked beans to round it out.

Ugh. This is another reason I really want to buy a butcher pig. Would be nice to have cuts like that in the freezer and ready anytime. Having the 1/2 cow has been awwwweeeessooomeeee.

We are becoming quite particular on meat, and really prefer pasture and farm raised. Porter Road has been fantastic for delivery and Marx Foods for Iberico ribs Are awesome too. We have a lot of local butchers too, but I love being able to get stuff from the great farms around this country.

We are becoming quite particular on meat, and really prefer pasture and farm raised. Porter Road has been fantastic for delivery and Marx Foods for Iberico ribs Are awesome too. We have a lot of local butchers too, but I love being able to get stuff from the great farms around this country.
We actually get to pick the cow/pig, and check how they’ve been fed and raised around here. You get what you pay for, and we always go farm raised. These aren’t just regular butcher cuts either, and being raised as I was, it’s nice to still know people in the cattle and livestock industry.

Using the Oakridge Pork Rub. Just hit the smoker

39F27126-7037-4481-89BB-CC59EE1A2966.jpeg

looks like a great hunk of meat. can't wait to see the finished product.

Haha, me neither. @GolferGal got it all rubbed up and we like the Oakridge Pork Rub a lot. That and Killer Hogs have been our go to for Pork.

About an hour in

B91DDEDA-AABE-4EF6-A72B-AD60D98F7638.jpeg

Coming along. Currently at 130

4E946C66-B7E3-4733-9F73-60FEB963031A.jpeg

Back