BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Having some country ribs tonight. Is that cheating?

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but what resources do you guys use to make purchasing decisions etc..?

For example, are there Go-To BBQ websites you guys trust to review BBQ gear?

Lastly, for a BBQ Padawan: could you throw out some essentials I may want to consider investing in outside of a grill itself? Thank you!

Amazingribs.com is a great resource for reviews as well as a lot of the guys in here. The essential I’d recommend is a good instant thermometer and always remember to cook to a temperature, not time. Thermoworks thermopop is a cheap one that works well.

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but what resources do you guys use to make purchasing decisions etc..?

Lastly, for a BBQ Padawan: could you throw out some essentials I may want to consider investing in outside of a grill itself? Thank you!
I read a lot of different websites when researching but I don't know if there is a consensus go-to site.

Depends a bit on which style grill you get but a good wireless thermometer and brush are the only essentials I can think of. Lots of other fun stuff though.

+1 to a good thermometer (hint: thermoworks is having a 18% off sale!!!!!!!)

i like amazingribs.com and smokingmeatforums.com for info/reviews

+1 to a good thermometer (hint: thermoworks is having a 18% off sale!!!!!!!)

i like amazingribs.com and smokingmeatforums.com for info/reviews
I typically do a google search when searching for something and those 2 come up a lot. Good info on both for sure.

I went to the major pellet makers sites and looked at all of the features of each. Then I looked at their warranty, independent reviews, likes and dislikes of each, the construction of each, the size, cost and finally the controller. What I gather is that most if not all pellet smokers usually work in the same way, that is pellets being fed by an auger into a fire pot to produce smoke/heat. Most of the BBQ sites mention that the "king" of smokers is the Yoder YS640 and the reason for this is their construction, reputation and controller which is a PID type. So when I went out to look for a smoker, I kept that in mind as well as the other things that I mentioned. The choice I made was a Rec Tec, but a lot of other smokers can and do accomplish the same thing with their own type of controller. I just tried to copy what the "best" one had to something that will fit my budges and space requirements as the Yoder is BIG.

Hope this helps.

My second batch of ribs in three days turned out amazing as did the Boston Butt that was on my new Rec Tec yesterday for 14 hours. As you can see they were fall off the bone tender.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 11.26.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-20 at 11.26.52 AM.png

My second batch of ribs in three days turned out amazing as did the Boston Butt that was on my new Rec Tec yesterday for 14 hours. As you can see they were fall off the bone tender.
Your Rec Tec has been busy in its first 5 day ;)

Last edited:
Your Rec Tec has been busy in its first 5 day ;)

Yes, the perfect storm - retired, shelter in place, and a 22 year old son that is a BBQ/Grilled food lover as much as me! It’s been fun having him home from college for so long and walking him through all the preparation and learning the new smoker together. We both can and will get a lot better at slow cooking meats now that we have a quality smoker. :)

Last edited:
Yes, the perfect storm - retired, shelter in place, and a 22 year old son that is a BBQ/Grilled food lover as much as me! It’s been fun having him home from college for so long and walking him through all the preparation and learning the new smoker together. We both can and will get a lot better at slow cooking meats now that we have a quality smoker. :)

That is awesome! Enjoy the quality time with your son. That’s what it’s all about, my friend!

I’m beginning to think it’s easier to get five birdies a round than pull off the perfect brisket. I’ve tasted perfect briskets but so far I’m 0 for 3 :(

I’m beginning to think it’s easier to get five birdies a round than pull off the perfect brisket. I’ve tasted perfect briskets but so far I’m 0 for 3 :(
What's your method?

@JB are you happy with the Napoleon? I am going with my traeger and a new gas grill (my old gas grill is one it’s last leg. I am looking hard at the Napoleon

@JB are you happy with the Napoleon? I am going with my traeger and a new gas grill (my old gas grill is one it’s last leg. I am looking hard at the Napoleon

Best bang for the buck of any gas grill I have seen to date. We have the Prestige Pro 500.

Best bang for the buck of any gas grill I have seen to date. We have the Prestige Pro 500.
Thank you from what I have seen here it has seemed like you love it.
I also am going to get a rec tec matador. I should be set then, gas grill, pellet smoker and griddle top. Now I just have to find a good construction guy to build me an island with a sink and mini fridge. I don’t plan on going inside much this summer 😈

That Boston Butt that I smoked on the Rec Tec for 14 hours the other day made maybe the best pork tacos we have eaten. The salsa was a freshly made batch that my wife has perfected over the years. My son ate seven of them on his quest to gain weight, lol.

92912844-ED07-4484-B921-0B436E1943F8.jpeg649E7867-FEDA-4EEF-AA58-977FF88086DE.jpeg

Thank you from what I have seen here it has seemed like you love it.
I also am going to get a rec tec matador. I should be set then, gas grill, pellet smoker and griddle top. Now I just have to find a good construction guy to build me an island with a sink and mini fridge. I don’t plan on going inside much this summer 😈
I built an island cooking center a few years ago, so I can give you my faults of experience so you won't make them. I was going to go with the BBQ guys set-up which was stainless steel, but I got talked into a "rustic" wood island:censored:. The wood island concept was great UNTIL you have the maintenance of putting a urethane coating on the wood because of the heat and weather. The website bbqguys.com has some pre-fab kitchens and a complete section that you could lead your construction guys to, unless they have built these things before, then I'm sure you won't have any issues. I have marble countertops, which are great, but they also require maintenance ever 4-6 months by putting a coating so it won't darken the porous marble. I didn't do a sink, but have plenty of cabinet space with stainless cabinets and drawers that I got at bbq guys. All in all I'm happy with the set-up but not the materials. I don't know if you're is going to be in the open, but if it is, do something with minimal maintenance, you'll enjoy it more.

What's your method?

It might be a case of not knowing how to pick the correct brisket. Because I have a friend who I would consider an expert smoker and do everything like him. But my briskets are just average and his come out absolutely perfect. His briskets are always extra juicy and tender. Below is how I do my briskets...

1. Brisket out of fridge 1 hour before smoke
2. Kosher Salt & Pepper
3. Smoke @ 225 until 165*
4. Double wrap in peach butcher paper
5. Pull off @ 203*
6 Rest for minimum of hour

It might be a case of not knowing how to pick the correct brisket. Because I have a friend who I would consider an expert smoker and do everything like him. But my briskets are just average and his come out absolutely perfect. His briskets are always extra juicy and tender. Below is how I do my briskets...

2. Kosher Salt & Pepper
5. Pull off @ 203*
You're right about the meat, you might have 2 that look alike but are different. You're doing everything right as far as I can see the only difference that I do is inject and smoke fat cap down to get a better bark. Sometimes I pull mine off sooner/later depending on how the probe goes into the meat.

2. Kosher Salt & Pepper
5. Pull off @ 203*

I'm certainly not an expert but was somewhat disappointed with my first several briskets as well. (I was reading everything, different techniques, injecting, wrapping, you name it and they were still on the dry/firm side)
From my trial and error experience:
Better meat you start out with, better meat in the end. I stick with Prime briskets most of the time.
Trim fat cap so it's not too thick.
Fat cap down during cook.
Probe in thickest part of flat, make sure it's not in fat layer.
I could never get butcher paper wrapping to work. Foil was ok, but I actually have had better luck leaving it unwrapped throughout on the pellet grill.
Pull off based on feel rather than temp (probe goes in like warm butter) tends to be a few degrees short of 203.
Rest, rest, rest. wrapped in foil at this point, wrapped in towels, in cooler. At least 3 hours. Did my last one 6 hours.

2. Kosher Salt & Pepper
5. Pull off @ 203*

that all looks fine to me too...but i haven't mastered brisket yet either. i'm starting to think the meat is more important than i originally thought. or maybe i'm not resting long enough.

I have a point brisket for burnt ends and a pork shoulder for pulled pork on the smoker this morning. i love not having to tend the freaking smoker all day now.
751B8DC3-CA38-4032-B1EB-FE4697374FEA.jpeg

I'm certainly not an expert but was somewhat disappointed with my first several briskets as well. (I was reading everything, different techniques, injecting, wrapping, you name it and they were still on the dry/firm side)
From my trial and error experience:
Better meat you start out with, better meat in the end. I stick with Prime briskets most of the time.
Trim fat cap so it's not too thick.
Fat cap down during cook.
Probe in thickest part of flat, make sure it's not in fat layer.
I could never get butcher paper wrapping to work. Foil was ok, but I actually have had better luck leaving it unwrapped throughout on the pellet grill.
Pull off based on feel rather than temp (probe goes in like warm butter) tends to be a few degrees short of 203.
Rest, rest, rest. wrapped in foil at this point, wrapped in towels, in cooler. At least 3 hours. Did my last one 6 hours.
Also, calibrate your probes. Don't know why I never thought about it but just checked mine and they were about 5 degrees off. Which would explain why I was needing to pull things off earlier than i was expecting by temp.

Back