BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Think I'm ready to make a move on a grill now.

If one had a $1000 budget (roughly) - what is my best bet for an all around great BBQ setup?

Thank you!

If one had a $1000 budget (roughly) - what is my best bet for an all around great BBQ setup?

Thank you!
Weber Genesis

Thank you!
Many in that range are made in China. You would need to spend more to get one made in USA. Do you want propane or natural gas?

Many in that range are made in China. You would need to spend more to get one made in USA. Do you want propane or natural gas?
I'd be willing to spend more if it is a worth while up grade...? Dunno, is one gas better than the other in terms of results?

I'd be willing to spend more if it is a worth while up grade...? Dunno, is one gas better than the other in terms of results?
The internals and hookup are different depending upon propane or natural gas. Propane, you need to swap out tanks. Natural gas, if you have natural gas heat, has continuous supply of gas. Requires a gas outlet on your patio. To stay in your price range, Weber is probably the best option.

Looks fantastic! What method were you using before? I like to use the high heat method on my WSM because I find the results to be nearly as good as a L&S cook...I say almost because the bark isn’t quite as good, although that can be partially remedied by putting it back in the smoker uncovered for 30 min or so.
240 temp for about 5.5 hrs. Wrapped in foil and another 5 hrs at 250. I applied the dry rub overnight. Seemed to really help in tenderizing the meat.

Thank you!
So many good ones out there! I hate to say it but browse this thread and you'll hit a few spots where guys are talking brands and the pros/cons. I love my Rec Tec 700 which is right around your price range.

240 temp for about 5.5 hrs. Wrapped in foil and another 5 hrs at 250. I applied the dry rub overnight. Seemed to really help in tenderizing the meat.

So many good ones out there! I hate to say it but browse this thread and you'll hit a few spots where guys are talking brands and the pros/cons. I love my Rec Tec 700 which is right around your price range.
The Rec tec seems to make peeps quite happy. Been reading up on them.

The Rec tec seems to make peeps quite happy. Been reading up on them.
Watch some YouTube videos they make. Really get to know them better and what they are about. But again, no wrong answers when it comes to these smokers.

Watch some YouTube videos they make. Really get to know them better and what they are about. But again, no wrong answers when it comes to these smokers.
Dumb question - is there anything you perhaps wouldn't cook in such a grill vs a gas grill? Apologies for the super naive question.

Dumb question - is there anything you perhaps wouldn't cook in such a grill vs a gas grill? Apologies for the super naive question.
It's not naive because what I end up not cooking in my smoker, others here have a ton of success cooking in theirs if that makes any sense. For example, I still cook my steaks and chicken breasts on the grill. I'm just more confident doing 'em there and I've got that process down. I also cook my shrimp/scallops on the grill cause it has 2 infrared sear burners that gets hot and finishes 'em quick. But I know others here that do their steaks, hamburgers, chicken, etc. in their smoker with no issues.

Wow, this look delicious. Can you tell me which knife tool you are using? I have only survival knife tool which is not good in kitchen, so I want to buy one for my kitchen.

Thank you!

For that budget I would get a pellet smoker and a propane grill.

I personally have a Grilla Silverbac ($600-$1,200) and a Nexgrill stainless propane 4 burner ($400) while I dont expect the nexgrill to last more than a couple years, my focus was to pick up the silverbac this year and then upgrade the propane in the next 2 years.

Also cant go wrong with a weber kettle. Very versatile platform to grill and smoke but a bit more difficult to maintain temps on long cooks.

I use both the pellet and propane grills about equally. Yesterday I grilled 7 new york steaks. I took the 2 thick ones and smoked them on the pellet grill for an hour before searing/cooking all of them on the propane grill.

cfca4f2b85995d83c153ceb489ebc06a.jpg

This was my Father’s Day meal project - PB&J ribs. Raspberry glaze with a peanut butter sauce. The sauce was just ok and not really needed but the ribs were awesome.

Thank you!

Depends on what you want and what you are looking to accomplish. The right tool for the right job.

But, if you’re looking for something that is extremely versatile and easy to use, I’d go with a Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg. Just my two cents.

For that budget I would get a pellet smoker and a propane grill.

I personally have a Grilla Silverbac ($600-$1,200) and a Nexgrill stainless propane 4 burner ($400) while I dont expect the nexgrill to last more than a couple years, my focus was to pick up the silverbac this year and then upgrade the propane in the next 2 years.

Also cant go wrong with a weber kettle. Very versatile platform to grill and smoke but a bit more difficult to maintain temps on long cooks.

I use both the pellet and propane grills about equally. Yesterday I grilled 7 new york steaks. I took the 2 thick ones and smoked them on the pellet grill for an hour before searing/cooking all of them on the propane grill.

My set-up is almost like yours except for the players. I have a Saber infrared grill and a Rec-Tec smoker. Really you can do two things at the same time for different types of cooking. For charcoal, you'll find it hard to beat a Weber Kettle.

But, if you’re looking for something that is extremely versatile and easy to use, I’d go with a Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg. Just my two cents.

I'd echo that, but strike the BGE. I just purchased a Classic Kamado Joe III (18"). The Kamado Joes have a better seal, ceramics, ash tray and tool, and a spring assisted hinge...it allows you to lift and close it with one finger. Don't want to let a ceramic cooker slam shut! The Joe IIIs also now come with nicer legs/stand and a new hyperbolic smoking heat deflector which really works fantastically for swirling smoke up into the dome and onto the meat! Give it a look!

I'd echo that, but strike the BGE. I just purchased a Classic Kamado Joe III (18").

Without a doubt. I mentioned the BGE because most people haven’t heard of Kamado Joe.

I agree with your assessment, but would recommend getting the Big Joe. You will not regret having the extra space, especially when cooking for a crowd.

This got fired up and seasoned before making some bacon and burgers for Father's day. Brother has one and he made hibachi veggies and fried rice the other night wnphen we visited. Wife saidm you're getting for Father's day :ROFLMAO:
Sorry, no food pics, but they were awesome right down to the toasted buns.

F272AB80-2288-4AB7-BF1D-CC1BAA84E66A.jpeg

Thank you!
Rec Tec

Going to use the #BGE tonight for the first time this year, it needs a little love 😈

Fillet and king crab leg

Attachments

• 552E3693-E4E4-4815-A18D-045BFC846105.jpeg
    552E3693-E4E4-4815-A18D-045BFC846105.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 20
Is the 700 worth the extra $300 over the 590? I will double check the specs....just curious of your thoughts.
I don’t own a Rec Tec so I can answer for sure, I like my traeger but I could redo it I would have listened to @Nate and bought a Rec Tec

Is the 700 worth the extra $300 over the 590? I will double check the specs....just curious of your thoughts.
what put me over was the difference in warranty. It was 3 yrs vs 6 years i think when i went with the 700. (looks like it's 4 vs 6 now). I think the 590 would have fit my needs a little better sizewise, but i don't regret getting the 700.

Absolutely! The warranty thing I hadn't thought of but @baylrballa brings up a good point there. But the extra space is worth it. You don't think about it at the time, but doing multiple things in there with the space helps a lot. It's also nice because you will figure out where the hot spot is on your grill and can adjust your cooking accordingly with the space.

Back