BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

my Louisiana Grills pellet cooker kicked the bucket a couple months ago, have been researching a replacement.

Few complaints from the LG was the bunt pot ash was not able to be emptied w/o removing all the grates and heat deflector. Some other brands have a quick release function.
Grill was not old, paint shipping.
Fire went out at lower temps and restart was a big ordeal.

Looking at Rectec, Grilla Grills and a few others. Was very interested in the Weber smokefire but read some not great things.

Anyway, whats everyone's favorite pellet cooker these days?

my Louisiana Grills pellet cooker kicked the bucket a couple months ago, have been researching a replacement.

Few complaints from the LG was the bunt pot ash was not able to be emptied w/o removing all the grates and heat deflector. Some other brands have a quick release function.

Looking at Rectec, Grilla Grills and a few others. Was very interested in the Weber smokefire but read some not great things.

I'm a RecTec RT 700 guy and love cheat'n on it as @TexasHacker34 would say. :p Smoked whole chicken going on in 1 hour BTW!

I'm a RecTec RT 700 guy and love cheat'n on it as @TexasHacker34 would say. :p Smoked whole chicken going on in 1 hour BTW!

I saw that earlier up you had one. A friend also has one here in jax. Going that route I believe.

Haha I just give you a hard time.

I prefer the smoke you get from a true offset and something about actually having to control the temp and monitor is fun to me

Haha I just give you a hard time.

I prefer the smoke you get from a true offset and something about actually having to control the temp and monitor is fun to me
Hey, I get it! But nights like this is where it truly shines for our needs. About to head out for kiddos soccer practice. Gonna throw the chicken on, probe it and monitor it from the car while away. If it finishes up while gone, the wife will pull it off and will be carved up by the time we get back!

Hey, I get it! But nights like this is where it truly shines for our needs. About to head out for kiddos soccer practice. Gonna throw the chicken on, probe it and monitor it from the car while away. If it finishes up, the wife will pull it off and will be carved up by the time we get back!

Oh absolutely you cannot beat the convenience! I totally get why you guys love them so much.

I think the most important thing is to have a pellet grill that cooks as close to the desired temperature without wild temperature swings. A grill with a PID controller fits that bill perfectly. Yoder and Recteq are 2 that come to mind.

I think the most important thing is to have a pellet grill that cooks as close to the desired temperature without wild temperature swings. A grill with a PID controller fits that bill perfectly. Yoder and Recteq are 2 that come to mind.

Double Walled Insulation helps there too and not every grill uses it.

rec tec 700 order placed- gonna be fun assembling...

YODER;)

MAK. Easy. I have/had many cookers from offsets to drums and the food that comes off my MAK is only about 5% different than a clean burning stickburner. Working 50 hours a week with a 4 year old makes this my preferred cooker 90% of the time these days.

rec tec 700 order placed- gonna be fun assembling...

You will love it. My old smoker was worn out and I had waited for the Weber Smokefire and got one in February. It was a total nightmare but Weber finally made it right and gave me a 100% refund. I bought the RecTec "Bull" and couldn't be happier. We use it 10+ days a month. Assembly is easy to follow on the video they have online - should only take about 75 minutes.

I just order the cold smoke box yesterday and as a cheese lover I can't wait to try it.

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 4.25.06 PM.png

MAK. Easy. I have/had many cookers from offsets to drums and the food that comes off my MAK is only about 5% different than a clean burning stickburner. Working 50 hours a week with a 4 year old makes this my preferred cooker 90% of the time these days.
interesting, all the research this one didnt come up. Which * do you have? Looks like a solid cooker!

Entry level smoker for a noobie with extra time at home...Any suggestions?
Masterbuilt Electronic - amazon

MAsterbuilt - Dual Fuel

MAsterbuilt - Dual Fuel
My first smoker was an older version of the second one. It was awesome. I moved on from it quickly because i realized how much I loved it.

stayed at a friends house this weekend and made some tri tip. Smoked on an offset charcoal with half a bag of apple chips. Reverse sear on cast iron with butter, garlic and rosemary. Turned out very delicious despite having to use equipment that wasnt mine and scrounging for seasonings.

MAsterbuilt - Dual Fuel
Honestly, I would start at pit boss classic. They go on sale for between $200 and $300 and work quite well

Tried my hand at a Wagyu brisket this weekend. Started small with a 3.25 lb brisket and it turned out pretty good!

464fa15e670f11a2870e7e98a961b18f.jpg

1f66bb6506a11416687456a7ccf861be.jpg

Congrats! The Rec Tec guys have a good video on YouTube showing the assembly. Made it really easy.

Just got done a little while ago. A buddy came over who has one and it went pretty smoothly.

Just got done a little while ago. A buddy came over who has one and it went pretty smoothly.

After you get comfortable with your smoker I'd recommend their Cold Smoker Box. I just got mine a couple of days ago and did my first batch of smoked cheese yesterday. Right now I've got two Boston Butts that have been on 11 hours with a few more hours to go. You won't have any regrets with your RecTec. Enjoy!

bEtljYZ3QFmueqSqZnhoTQ.jpgfullsizeoutput_1e818.jpeg

I committed a BBQ sin yesterday. I’d had a marinated tri-tip in the fridge for a day with plans to throw it on the smoker for dinner last night. But it was rainy and I was just feeling lazy, so I pan seared it at high heat then put in an open Dutch oven at 425 for 40 minutes. It was fantastic. I will make amends to the BBQ gods soon.

I committed a BBQ sin yesterday. I’d had a marinated tri-tip in the fridge for a day with plans to throw it on the smoker for dinner last night. But it was rainy and I was just feeling lazy, so I pan seared it at high heat then put in an open Dutch oven at 425 for 40 minutes. It was fantastic. I will make amends to the BBQ gods soon.

For your sins, you must sacrifice meat over an open flame and all is forgiven.

MAsterbuilt - Dual Fuel

I have a different version of the Masterbuilt Electronic and it works really well. I have had it for about 2 years and it will handle an 18 lb turkey, 6lb brisket, and still have extra room. The only thing I don't like is the amount of smoke isn't as much as others. The one really nice thing is you set the temp and add chips every 30 min. to an hour and your all set.

Back