BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

I cold smoked some cheeses tonight for two hours with applewood.

2varIvDeRC2KeR0mvdIzXQ.jpgZpG7LA7BRVmzZ34BV2gTeA.jpg5KlY7zXUR6SkA7VCQnq+iQ.jpgr%T9Gf1HR5SM25dx+BoTBg.jpg

Forgot to post these from a couple weeks ago. Did them on the offset for about 225 for 3.5 hours, then wrapped them for another 1.5

Super happy with the bark and the smoke ring on these.
1a5bb5acfd6db1f2c905bedbaac23725.jpg

Very happy about her 'situation' overall but annoyed wife can't have smoked meats, cuts down on the options on what to make.

Hoping to do something good this weeknd and I'll just make her nuggets

Yeah I want these

FB_IMG_1602707797983.jpg

Love Tomahawks on the traeger 41CCE9A0-B4C2-4AA1-B2E3-C26427AF5E86.jpeg

My brisket game is better than my golf game. Three slabs of ribs going on in about 30 minutes also.
194A5E70-6EA0-47EF-992B-04EFF54D4AEA.jpeg
C0352920-B2AB-4D1A-8A49-CF808E9F8EFC.jpeg

well I smoked my dino ribs on Saturday and frankly they were horrible. Not my first dino smoke by certainly one that will be remembered.
First the ribs when I got them unfrozen and started to trim, was awful fatty, I mean a ton of fat. I trimmed it off, took off the silver skin and put my rub on although they looked OK from one side, the other side looked like pure fat which I couldn't trim. Place them on a wire rack and then a pan underneath so I wouldn't have a clean-up problem and it's a good thing I did. When I was done, there was another cup and a half of fat that rendered down in the pan! Took the ribs off, let them set for a half hour under foil, and when I started to cut them, there was hardly any meat, certainly not the amount of that I got before on some other dino ribs. Hardly any meat of substance on top but there was some very tender meat along the end of the ribs which we ate and enjoyed. All in all not worth the $80 I paid, not even close.

I got these from Porter Road, I called and explained what I got and how it ended up , and I took pictures that were sent to them to prove my point. They agreed with me as a whole and refunded my money for the ribs. This was my first bad product from Porter Road, but in true customer satisfaction, they got 5 stars from me. I buy from them all of the time, this is my first negative and they handled it without any hassle. Just wanted to share in case some have questions or hesitations about quality or customer service.
I picked up 3 bone prime rib to cook tomorrow, any tips for a newbie to beef ribs?
I use a Big Green Egg and planned on a good rub of salt and pepper and cook at 275 till it stalls then wrap it and back in until 205* or so.

I picked up 3 bone prime rib to cook tomorrow, any tips for a newbie to beef ribs?
I use a Big Green Egg and planned on a good rub of salt and pepper and cook at 275 till it stalls then wrap it and back in until 205* or so.

That’s pretty much what I would do. Think you got this. Maybe a slightly lower temp. I usually go 240-250.

As long as the end temperature is 205 and you can easily insert a probe in the middle it should be done. Wrap is also important to keeping it tender, I usually put a very small amount of flavored beef broth (1/3 cup) with the ribs.

After looking at your post again, I assume you are making boneless prime rib and doing the ribs separately! If you are doing the whole prime rib on the BGE, then it's a different ball game.

As long as the end temperature is 205 and you can easily insert a probe in the middle it should be done. Wrap is also important to keeping it tender, I usually put a very small amount of flavored beef broth (1/3 cup) with the ribs.

After looking at your post again, I assume you are making boneless prime rib and doing the ribs separately! If you are doing the whole prime rib on the BGE, then it's a different ball game.
No it is ribs, but prime beef. Just worded it wrong.

Thanks for the reply, going to reduce the temp to 225 of so as suggested above. I have done a lot of Briskets and such on the egg, these ribs are a new adventure. I had some in the D.R. and they were fantastic and I doubt that was prime grade.

Ribs and 4.5 lb pork shoulder prepped for tomorrow :D gotta see if I can time ouf some golf in there but pretty unlikely

Thinking it'll be a 8 hr smoke @ 225.. not even sure if im going to turn it into pulled pork or just slice it up

Have a brisket going since 630am on the rec tec.

20201018_113310.jpg

20201018_113315.jpg

Game Day!! The wings will get finished in the air fryer.

Just wrapped the beef ribs, hit the stall hard at 5 hrs @ 225* we will see how long it takes to get to 205 or so.

Wrapped the 16 lb (before trimming) brisket at 160. Point is running a few degrees hotter.
Stall lasted quite awhile at 145. About 8 hrs in so far.

IMG_20201018_153206.jpg

Ribs are done but shoulder still needs another hour im guessing, just going to have it rest for a couple hours and pull it later to take for lunch tomorrow

20201018_182211.jpg

I really need to get a better wireless thermometer, these ones on the vertical are mediocre at best apparently .. a lot of recommendations for inkbird, anyone have one of those or recommend something else?

"full" report

Rec tec is solid, no issues like the louisiana grill I have also. Consistent temp and no flameouts.

Brisket was a little temperamental today, LONG stall of around 2-3hrs. 11 hr overall cook, 225 till 160 mark and then wrapped and bumped up to 235 with a twist of a knob till #202.

IMG_20201018_181829.jpg
IMG_20201018_182539.jpg

IMG_20201018_190002_551.jpg

Back