BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

The beef ribs came out super tender and very rich in flavorIMG-20201018-WA0004.jpeg

Finally pulled the pork after 1.5 hrs of rest wrapped in a cooler.
20201018_221414.jpg

At least I'll have lunch for myself and the office people tomorrow

Saw a triple D y'day from Hawaii... little renovated gas station restaurant with a bbq smoker out back. The pitmaster was a young dude from around Guam. Guy kept asking "How did you get this job?" Bbq cook in Hawaii? Talk about a dream job...
Anyways they made a sauce with 21 ingredients and smoked some butts. Interesting method though. Chunked up the pork into softball sized pieces which went on the smoker for 3 hours. Then put the pork into a pan covered in a dark beer and some water and covered the pan in foil and basically braised it for another 5 hours. It came out looking great... I'm thinking this might be a great way to try on a cold winter morning when I really don't want mess with a couple rounds of charcoal that it normally takes to get a pork butt or two done...

Last edited:
Beef tenderloin on the traeger is so good

Attachments

• 69483660-1007-418D-BBB7-792B64865085.jpeg
    69483660-1007-418D-BBB7-792B64865085.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 32
Trying my first smoked turkey on the RecTec today. It should take about 5.5 hours at 240* so I'll report later how it turned out.

+l+GycgXTf+J7Y%+TXy3eg.jpg

Entry level smoker for a noobie with extra time at home...Any suggestions?
Masterbuilt Electronic - amazon

MAsterbuilt - Dual Fuel

I know I already quoted this earlier but I found an attachment for the Masterbuilt that they call a Slow Smoker. From what I have found they are in redesign so not sure how it could change in the future. From what they show it looks like it will smoke for up to 6 hours.

Question on seasoning: When you watch videos like Harry Soo or How to BBQ Right on youtube, they REALLY layer on the rub on all meats. I can understand that for brisket/pulled pork where you have such a small surface area: volume ratio. But what about chicken? If you layer the rub on as heavily as they do, is the skin actually edible or is super salty if you were to serve a quarter or half chicken to someone?

Or, are these rubs very light on salt?

I think you hinted at some key things. On roasts, briskets, pulled pork, the rub can be heavy as it's going to be muted by the vast majority of the product which does not have rub on it. And some rubs can be quite salty (approximating seasoned salt with maybe other flavors in there). Other rubs may be much less salty. You really have to get in the habit of tasting a pinch of rub and find out for yourself. For example, I've bought lemon pepper mixes that were barely salty and could be applied copiously, then switched brands only to find that version extremely salty.

Personally, I think the easiest way to ruin a good piece of meat is to apply too much rub (followed shortly by over-smoking, or smoking for a long time with stronger woods like mesquite or oak). I prefer less rub taste, subtle smoke flavor than anything that tastes overwhelming.

The other thing I like to do which complements using less rub is to inject. Most injections aren't going to be overpowering but will add a little flavor and moisture to the interior of the meat.

Thanks for the reply!
I will definitely be tasting any rub I purchase when my bbq arrives, but this was just an observation from these videos.

Do you inject frequently? From a zero first-hand experience, armchair bbq perspective, injecting to me sort of seems like wet brining - boosts liquid content but doesn't really add as much flavour as a dry brine. So unless you're dumping in the salt/MSG/flavour adders which could potentially hide the actual flavour of the meat, you're just putting liquid in there that dilutes the flavour. But again, I haven't tried this myself yet (it's on the list of experiments...)

Just ordered an inkbird wifi thermometer for more accurate readings than the pit boss probes, anyone else use these? There's a rep i messaged for 50% off Amazon, so $50 for wifi, which is the same price as the starting Bluetooth version

Wasn't ready for smallest Costco brisket to be 20# lol going to have to wait to do that when we can finally have a little company over I guess

But I need something to cook and test out the new wifi thermometer

That is the perfect excuse!!

I had a call today from the BBQ store where I ordered my Weber Summit Charcoal from.... I have to wait until 2021 for it to be delivered since all 2020 models are gone and they've tooled up for some minor changes in 2021, so I'll get one of the first of those. Saves me $200 and I won't get a little plastic charcoal bin that I wasn't too concerned about anyways so I'm ok with it.

Though I won't have xmas off a smoker this year sadly...

We did wings on the Recteq tonight.

275° for an hour then 350° for 30 minutes

This is our favorite quick smoke!

00D3BD23-497A-48E9-B207-A3E03C4DE908.jpeg

Smoked a chicken last night. Man was it fantastic

581E642C-1B86-4B3D-A6AB-58BA504F8D6F.jpeg

Damn @jdtox That looks excellent.

I cooked a hot dog in our microwave.

Back