BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

We are doing a Thanksgiving early because the Doc is on call this year on that holiday.

Smoking two ducks, pretty excited, first time smoking duck. (y)

I was looking for ideas for my kettle turkey this year and ran across a bacon butter baste recipe. I thought holy cow BACON BUTTER, how can I have been BBQing for 40 years and only now discover bacon butter, it has to be wonderful. I figured on adding poultry seasoning then stabbing pockets of it into the breast (assuming it’s to thick to inject) slipping pats under the skin and using the remainder to baste.
Does anyone have experience or advice with bacon butter?

Last edited:
Julie picked up some pig wings at a local butcher and we threw them on the Recteq 680

Rubbed with Screamin Pig and a honey rub and smoked 250° for a little over 3 hrs with Smokey Jon's bbq sauce

They were dang good with buttercup squash.

4A8F296E-0A1A-4BA1-8611-50BDEC0B82BF.jpeg

7EF6717B-8F7A-4F58-A346-899B95A4FB87.jpeg

Ducks were a HIT. Family decided turkey no more, doing them up again come Christmas.

Saved the fat/drippings, amazing in the mashed potatoes....

My brother loves to barbeque and experiment with sauces. Can you guys recommend a spicy BBQ sauce/rub to add to his Christmas present. So far I've gotten him "Slap yo Mama" and Killer Hogs Hot Rub.

The Pit Boss was great today. Smoked some chicken wings about half done then finished them in the air fryer for football today then just had a couple awesome prime burgers for dinner. I will probably upgrade to a stainless steel pellet grill next time but the Walmart Pit Boss has been a good introduction to pellet grills.

For Thanksgiving this year I have a 20lb brisket, 16lb turkey, and a 3 lb pork roast. I get to start smoking about 8 pm this Wednesday.

Busy day here with new Traeger.
Baby backs and a butt.

ED039747-1BBB-4414-A105-6219FE0EF148.jpeg

One rack dry rub, one sauced. Nom, nom, nom.

B384CB87-D0BA-4C6E-AC84-F30EDD5AB6F1.jpeg

My brother loves to barbeque and experiment with sauces. Can you guys recommend a spicy BBQ sauce/rub to add to his Christmas present. So far I've gotten him "Slap yo Mama" and Killer Hogs Hot Rub.
I can vouch for 3 sauce that I like. One is The Shed, sweet and spicy, the other is a milder type called KC Crossroads and finally if you want heat Bash Brothers Honey Habanero will do it.

Also if your brother likes heat...try looking at Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® World's Hottest Pepper (puckerbuttpeppercompany.com) . They have all sorts of stuff from salsa, to nuts, hot sauce etc. Great prices also.

Has anyone had any experience with the recteq Bullseye RT-B380 Bullseye. It looks interesting to me. I am between that and maybe the new weber kamado series.

Has anyone had any experience with the recteq Bullseye RT-B380 Bullseye. It looks interesting to me. I am between that and maybe the new weber kamado series.
No but that seems pretty awesome, my only concern would be the lid at only 5" tall could be an issue for bigger meats at some point...maybe??

Guys who have them love them

We have the 680 (old version of the 700) and use a gas grill to sear, so haven't bought the Bullseye

T
Guys who have them love them

We have the 680 (old version of the 700) and use a gas grill to sear, so haven't bought the Bullseye
That's good to know. The price point is really unbeatable.

they look really fun. aren't really meant to be used as a smoker though.

I agree, would be good to supplement a smoker. More of a grill, I think

they look really fun. aren't really meant to be used as a smoker though.
I don't see why not? All pellet grills I think don't give a smoky flavor as using hardwood sticks or charcoal. This maintains temps for low and slow and gets up for searing. I think it is the best of both worlds if you want a pellet style grill that can get hot enough to sear stuff too.

That is one reason I would rather have the Kamado Joe or Weber Summit. Those are a lot more expensive though.

I don't see why not? All pellet grills I think don't give a smoky flavor as using hardwood sticks or charcoal. This maintains temps for low and slow and gets up for searing. I think it is the best of both worlds if you want a pellet style grill that can get hot enough to sear stuff too.

That is one reason I would rather have the Kamado Joe or Weber Summit. Those are a lot more expensive though.

the grease drainage isn't good enough for long cooks.

Thanksgiving Brisket is seasoned and on smoking, anticipate 16 hours @ 225
20201125_150302.jpg

8 hour ls in, wrapping just before I go to bed to maximize bark
20201125_221702.jpg

Last edited:
All done, dropped off rations to family and back home to enjoy finally!
20201126_124721.jpg
20201126_124815.jpg
20201126_124850.jpg

Back