BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Those look fantastic.
For those experienced BBQ’ers out there should I try burnt ends or fro tips before a brisket?

Burnt ends are super easy and pretty hard to mess up, and with pork belly its pretty cheap actually.

We did poor man brisket (smoked chuck roast). It was really good!DB1A40CE-2D61-468D-8B27-F440351CD31F.jpeg

Picked up this reverse flow smoker for the restaurant today. In Arkansas. Did google maps of where Payne’s valley is. SCORE. It’s on the way, Wait, closed for season till March. Oh well. Just gonna have to make another 15 hour drive to play Payne’s Valley another trip!

Attachments

• A871A194-B4C1-4655-A7D3-6AB62E1F2930.jpeg
    A871A194-B4C1-4655-A7D3-6AB62E1F2930.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 25
When working remote the Traeger seems to be getting a lot more work.

Few slabs of ribs for dinner tonight.

772F6FCF-08A4-4671-889F-0025DEC3534D.jpeg

Going to be doing a brisket on the Traeger tomorrow. Any recommendations on a run to use? Anyone have a homemade recipe that is sure to win?

Going to be doing a brisket on the Traeger tomorrow. Any recommendations on a run to use? Anyone have a homemade recipe that is sure to win?
Just time and temp. Good piece of meat. I just use salt and pepper. I don't think the seasoning has a huge impact. Just put what you like. If you want some chili or some sweetness use a rub that has that.

But all it is is time and getting it to the temp.

Just time and temp. Good piece of meat. I just use salt and pepper. I don't think the seasoning has a huge impact. Just put what you like. If you want some chili or some sweetness use a rub that has that.

But all it is is time and getting it to the temp.
I am going to start off with a small 3lb brisket as a test run. Typically how long would you expect cook time to be?

I trim it based on Aaron Franklin's video, rub with Meat Church Holy Cow and smoke til it hits 203° and probes tender. Double wrap in foil, then wrap in towels in a cooler for up to 6 hours

We buy Costco prime whole briskets and they've all been excellent

I trim it based on Aaron Franklin's video, rub with Meat Church Holy Cow and smoke til it hits 203° and probes tender. Double wrap in foil, then wrap in towels in a cooler for up to 6 hours

We buy Costco prime whole briskets and they've all been excellent
Yeah I picked up a 15lb brisket from there today. Thinking about cooking that one for Super Bowl Sunday! I've heard great things about brisket from there...so looking forward to it. Not to mention you can't beat the price.

Yeah I picked up a 15lb brisket from there today. Thinking about cooking that one for Super Bowl Sunday! I've heard great things about brisket from there...so looking forward to it. Not to mention you can't beat the price.

Should turn out great! Mine usually take 15-16 hours

I am going to start off with a small 3lb brisket as a test run. Typically how long would you expect cook time to be?
Honestly that is why temp is so important. Could take 8 hours or 12. It's the permanent mystery of making brisket for me. If I am making it for myself I just get it to temp and it is almost always perfect. If I am trying to cook for a group and timing wise I need to feed people that is when it goes wrong.

One thing I have learned both from experience and from watching many YouTube videos from well known BBQ people about a brisket is that whatever you think is seasoned enough, season some more. Texas style is salt and pepper, with a heavy emphasis on the pepper. Someone else said Meat Church Holy cow, which I highly recommend as well, it’s amazing on a brisket.

There is no typical cook time for a brisket, each one will have a mind of their own. I have had a 10lb brisket cook in half the time of a 5lb brisket before, there was no stall with the big one for some reason. The big thing is just cooking to a temp, I believe 200-202 is the number, and then wrap it in a towel (figuring it’s already wrapped in some paper or aluminum foil) and throw it in a cooler for another couple of hours.

Check out some videos on YouTube, so much great info. I recommend How to BBQ right, Malcom is a wealth of knowledge.

Turns out my smoker doesn’t want to run in 0 degree weather.....

Turns out my smoker doesn’t want to run in 0 degree weather.....
I tried doing some pheasant breasts a few days ago when it was about 15 degrees and windy. My little vertical propane smoker could only manage to crank up to about 180 degrees, so I had to finish them in the oven.

There is no typical cook time for a brisket, each one will have a mind of their own. I have had a 10lb brisket cook in half the time of a 5lb brisket before, there was no stall with the big one for some reason. The big thing is just cooking to a temp, I believe 200-202 is the number, and then wrap it in a towel (figuring it’s already wrapped in some paper or aluminum foil) and throw it in a cooler for another couple of hours.

Check out some videos on YouTube, so much great info. I recommend How to BBQ right, Malcom is a wealth of knowledge.
Thanks for the information. I’ve watched a few & I see these guys with a huge slab of meat that take 15+ hrs then look at my 3 lb brisket & say there is no way it’s going to take that long. 😂

Fat is trimmed and Brisket is seasoned with salt, pepper & a little spice. Going to toss it on the grill at 530am. Luckily I’m not cooking for anyone special tomorrow.

Thanks for the information. I’ve watched a few & I see these guys with a huge slab of meat that take 15+ hrs then look at my 3 lb brisket & say there is no way it’s going to take that long. 😂

Fat is trimmed and Brisket is seasoned with salt, pepper & a little spice. Going to toss it on the grill at 530am. Luckily I’m not cooking for anyone special tomorrow.

Can’t wait to see pictures!

I’m going to use my new meat injector for the first time in my pulled pork shoulder. Anybody have a decent recommendation for the injection? Is injection even recommended since I’ve read all the pro’s and cons with pork shoulder?

I’m going to use my new meat injector for the first time in my pulled pork shoulder. Anybody have a decent recommendation for the injection? Is injection even recommended since I’ve read all the pro’s and cons with pork shoulder?

I’ve heard mixed reviews. My neighbor has injected with a apple cider & some cayenne pepper & it is amazing.

FC8B75AD-1BFB-48A9-B22C-FACD35803A9B.jpeg
all seasoned up. Debating whether I run with Apple or Hickory pellets tomorrow. Going to give my smoke tube a go tomorrow as well.

should I mix the pellets for a mixed flavor? Some in smoke tube & other in the hopper?

In the for what it’s worth category. It looks as though you are only preparing a flat. The flat portion of a brisket will tend to dry out sooner than a full brisket with a point. You can take the brisket at 190° and wrapped in aluminum foil with half a can of beef consommé and take it to 202 or 205 then remove and wrap in a towel after draining the consommé. That will help keep it moist. As for pellets, try sticking with one the first time to see what type of flavor it in parts. I prefer hickory or Postoak your mileage may vary

Said to be 1.5 hrs per lb at 225, general rule of thumb from what I've read but that's for a full brisket. For the flat probably well less

View attachment 8992053
all seasoned up. Debating whether I run with Apple or Hickory pellets tomorrow. Going to give my smoke tube a go tomorrow as well.

should I mix the pellets for a mixed flavor? Some in smoke tube & other in the hopper?

Looks good! . I would go with just hickory. Apple is better with pork, and might even be too mild for that bold flavor you want for brisket

Went to Costco today as well and picked up a prime but put it in the freezer. There were 4 or 5 of us talking brisket and bbq for a few.. wives disappeared... now they know what its like for us when we have to go to target and everything is shiny or soft

Said to be 1.5 hrs per lb at 225, general rule of thumb from what I've read but that's for a full brisket. For the flat probably well less

Looks good! . I would go with just hickory. Apple is better with pork, and might even be too mild for that bold flavor you want for brisket

Went to Costco today as well and picked up a prime but put it in the freezer. There were 4 or 5 of us talking brisket and bbq for a few.. wives disappeared... now they know what its like for us when we have to go to target and everything is shiny or soft

yeah this one is just a flat. The large one for Sunday is a full brisket. I’m sure it will cook much quickerso going to put it on a little later than 6am.

yeah this one is just a flat. The large one for Sunday is a full brisket. I’m sure it will cook much quickerso going to put it on a little later than 6am.

I usually start my whole brisket at 9 or 10 pm, going 200° overnight. They're usually around 150° by 6 am. I'll crank it up to 230° and pull around 203°. Should be done by 1-2pm, then into the cooler. That's the beauty of a cooler, they'll stay hot up to 6 hrs, so you don't have to time it perfectly for your set eating time.

Back