BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Has anyone tried to make burnt ends out of Chuck Roast or Chuck steak? could you share your success failure?

My recent try was chuck roast. Cut into 2-inch cubes. Brined in Worcester kosher salt mix. Rubbed with Salt, Pepper, Garlic, and Smoked until 165 internal temps and a nice bark. Then put cubes into the pan with rendered pork fat and homemade sauce.

Covered with tin foil and finished in the oven at 250. The finished internal temperature of 225 is when the centers were nice and loose.

The results were mixed. Great taste. Poor overall texture. The cubes after the initial smoke had good taste but the exterior had dried out leaving me a coarse texture. The interior is great. Not as stupendous as brisket point or pork belly burnts but worthy of eating.

I believe my next try will be similar except the cubing will occur after the initial smoke.

BTW google making hotdog burnt ends. The Ultimate in taking cheap meat and attempting to make it better.

I’ve made chuck roast burnt ends a couple times and waited to cube until the end. First time I did it I don’t think I gave it enough time and they were a little chewy. Family was ready to eat but the roast was only at about 190. Second time I let them go above 200 and they were awesome. Only a slight step down from the brisket version.

Looking good JB! Can't beat Arthur Bryants rub, that's really good. Oklahoma Joes (Now called Joes Kansas City BBQ ) makes a rub called "The Squeal Hog Rub" you can buy online, that's really good too.
[/QUOT

Have you tried LC's rub?

Question for the more experienced in this thread - I am doing my first brisket this weekend. It is 17.5lbs untrimmed and am looking at probably doing a 225F cook.

Can anyone ballpark a time for me? My plan is to plan for taking longer than expected, so I was thinking of starting at 10 or 11 the night before.

Question for the more experienced in this thread - I am doing my first brisket this weekend. It is 17.5lbs untrimmed and am looking at probably doing a 225F cook.

Can anyone ballpark a time for me? My plan is to plan for taking longer than expected, so I was thinking of starting at 10 or 11 the night before.
What kind of grill/smoker? Figure 1.5-2 hours per lb, and better to be done ahead of schedule so then you can wrap in towels and put in a cooler.

I did a 12lber at 225 on my vertical smoker and it was about 20 hours

Doing it in my Weber Summit Kamado. I'll be using the Thermoworks Billows kit to control temp

I’ve made chuck roast burnt ends a couple times and waited to cube until the end. First time I did it I don’t think I gave it enough time and they were a little chewy. Family was ready to eat but the roast was only at about 190. Second time I let them go above 200 and they were awesome. Only a slight step down from the brisket version.
Thanks for the input. I am going to try your technique soon! I will let you know how my endeavor turns out. A slight twist is I have some beef suet. I am going to render the suet and then rub it on the chuck prior to a dry brine of 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt and brown sugar. 12 to 12 hours in the refrigerator, rinse, then a standard Salt, pepper, garlic rub.

What do you think?

Doing it in my Weber Summit Kamado. I'll be using the Thermoworks Billows kit to control temp

So yeah I would allocate close to 1.75 hrs per pound, especially if you don't wrap. If you do, probably a little less from what I'm reading.

Figure 15 lbs after trimming, so let's say its for dinner on Sunday, i would start it at say 2 or 3 pm on Saturday.

I rushed one once and it was kind of tough. As I mentioned, better to be done early and rest longer, than late with little to no rest.

And by no means am I an expert, just what I've experienced in the few brisket I've done.

So yeah I would allocate close to 1.75 hrs per pound, especially if you don't wrap. If you do, probably a little less from what I'm reading.

Figure 15 lbs after trimming, so let's say its for dinner on Sunday, i would start it at say 2 or 3 pm on Saturday.

I rushed one once and it was kind of tough. As I mentioned, better to be done early and rest longer, than late with little to no rest.

And by no means am I an expert, just what I've experienced in the few brisket I've done.

I appreciate the insight!
If I start it in the evening tomorrow - I'll have it tracking on my phone to see where it's at so hopefully in the morning it will show that it is still in the 1xxF range and not the 2xxF range!
Then hopefully I will be able to get a wrap on it if need be.
1.75hrs/lbs would be pretty intense as a total timeline.

Anyone have or researched these evo flat top grills much?

No research other than watching Sam the Cooking Guy on YouTube. They look awesome! But, I'm not sure that it does anything that the Blackstone can't do at a tenth of the price.
That said, I fully support your decision to go with the Evo and will follow along with you on your many culinary adventures!

Reverse seared filets off the Recteq 680

Raining outside so used our shrimp boil cooker for the sear

0B22A814-EB0B-4557-B133-0542DFBB71F2.jpegF0C26033-B6FE-47E1-8918-5A93DF9858CE.jpeg

Did my first brisket Saturday night. Overall happy, but some learnings were had for sure. It was a bit on the side of overdone (partly due to timing, partly due to the flat being too thin in places) but still good. 17.5lbs gross weight became 12.5lbs net. The trim became tallow overnight on Friday, to be included in the cook on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Brisket went on at 11:30pm on Saturday night, was wrapped around 9:30am on Sunday with tons of tallow (admittedly late - I slept in) and then was off around 11:45am and rested in a cooler until 5:30pm. The Thermoworks Billows set up worked a charm and would definitely recommend it to anyone!
PsVYa10.jpg

PZHJt8Q.jpg

OvaRkri.png

7XlSrZs.jpg

Iqi2Fm9.jpg

X0MT3Ll.jpg

Ok, first time making ribs in the oven and they were ok but kinda tough. It was a 2.5lb baby back ribs. I baked them at 285 for 2:45 then put on bbq sauce, bumped the temp to 450 for 10 mins then broiled for 5. Definitely not fall off the bone. I want to try this again but want to do it right

Why tough? Not cooked long enough? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, first time making ribs in the oven and they were ok but kinda tough. It was a 2.5lb baby back ribs. I baked them at 285 for 2:45 then put on bbq sauce, bumped the temp to 450 for 10 mins then broiled for 5. Definitely not fall off the bone. I want to try this again but want to do it right

Why tough? Not cooked long enough? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Try the link below for cooking even if you don’t have a smoker. My neighbors think I’m Aaron Franklin even though I’m average at best...

Last edited:
Try the link below for cooking even if you don’t have a smoker. My neighbors think I’m Aaron Franklin even though I’m average at best...

Got a good recipe for the oven? I don't have a smoker.

Same principles apply. Your temp was too high at 285*. You need to be down around 225*-250* for 3 hours. Then wrap for another hour or two (depending upon how you like them). And when you’re ready, throw them on the grill and mop with sauce to let it caramelize.

These were done on my Kamado Joe.

be045bca1f86346d691f369a7aff045b.jpg

Last edited:
Same principles apply. Your temp was too high at 285*. You need to be down around 225*-250* for 3 hours. Then wrap for another hour or two (depending upon how you like them). And when you’re ready, throw them on the grill and mop with sauce to let it caramelize.

These were done on my Kamado Joe.

be045bca1f86346d691f369a7aff045b.jpg
those look amazing

The 3-2-1 method is tried and true and will work in the oven with a caveat. Most every electric oven has a hot spot. Mine is middle right. It consistently is 15-20 degrees hotter. I rotate whatever I'm baking or roasting to counteract it. Figuring that out in your oven will make your cooks more consistent.

Just some basic chicken last night as I was breaking in the new Recteq. Turned out great and had no problem sending some home with my friends.

274AE467-1B40-417C-862C-A5F041D9F346_1_105_c.jpeg

I have tried this and in my opinion the 3-2-1 rib is overcooked and not the best way to go (caveat this with the fact that tastes/preferences vary so take all advice with a grain of salt). While it does yield 'fall off the bone' I find that the meat loses structure and becomes mush. If cooking in the oven, I prefer https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/oven-barbecue-bbq-ribs-recipe.html for a total cook time of ~3-3.5hrs instead of 6hrs. I like having some 'bite' to the meat and a 'tug' to get it off the bone, while the bone still being perfectly clean when you're done.
I know some of my friends prefer to do some insane 500F technique on the bbq with their ribs, but that just ends up with too much 'bite' - more boot leather.

My wife works Easter Sunday, so we are going to do "Easter" on Saturday.

I ordered a Wagyu Tomahawk from KC Cattle Company (Local Farm that breeds American Wagyu Cattle)

Never had a Tomahawk before... SUPER excited to cook it.

I am going to smoke it around 250 until about 120 and then finish it off on the Gas Grill to sear it and get that nice crust.

My wife works Easter Sunday, so we are going to do "Easter" on Saturday.

I ordered a Wagyu Tomahawk from KC Cattle Company (Local Farm that breeds American Wagyu Cattle)

Never had a Tomahawk before... SUPER excited to cook it.

I am going to smoke it around 250 until about 120 and then finish it off on the Gas Grill to sear it and get that nice crust.

Sounds expensive & very elite.

Back