BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Are you finding any advantage to braiding/double layering your outer crust vs. just letting the dough puff on its own without any toppings?

First pass at ribs turned out pretty well.

B541891F-2B20-4E6A-B64F-5A6CA1BF521D_1_105_c.jpeg
3AE680E3-4061-4AA8-B1A5-B977E1910A21_1_105_c.jpeg
161B0554-E904-4D61-A118-861A9C07689D_1_105_c.jpeg
D463DC18-5B8B-43CD-B4C6-40E5EC007AFF_1_105_c.jpeg

While not super fancy, yesterday was a landmark for spring arrival - first night out with the BBQ! Just did up some quick bratwurst on the propane Weber Genesis Gold, but they turned out well!

Now to plan for this weekend and lighting up some charcoal!

Are you finding any advantage to braiding/double layering your outer crust vs. just letting the dough puff on its own without any toppings?
Full disclosure, this was a practice round. That said we used prepared dough from the grocery. The frost isn’t as much braided as it is doubled/folded over. This was for 2 reasons. I wanted some sort of border so the sauce wouldn’t run over the edges and by doing this it conveniently sized the pie to fit my smaller peel. We are going to use home made dough next time that will likely be a little thicker and will allow a natural border.
We learned a lot on this first try and besides being great fun it was tasty too!

J

Full disclosure, this was a practice round. That said we used prepared dough from the grocery. The frost isn’t as much braided as it is doubled/folded over. This was for 2 reasons. I wanted some sort of border so the sauce wouldn’t run over the edges and by doing this it conveniently sized the pie to fit my smaller peel. We are going to use home made dough next time that will likely be a little thicker and will allow a natural border.
We learned a lot on this first try and besides being great fun it was tasty too!

J
Fair enough!
I've spent the last year playing with dough hydrations to make one work in my oven, so welcome to the madness!

Fair enough!
I've spent the last year playing with dough hydrations to make one work in my oven, so welcome to the madness!

I've found 60% hydration with 00 flour and some vital gluten works best for me

my ribs did not look like those....WOW. would you mind sending me your recipe?

I used this video as a guide, but went with baby back ribs and a rub I found at a local store.

I've found 60% hydration with 00 flour and some vital gluten works best for me

I have mostly been working with pan pizza dough for ease of use and forgiveness, up where I am in Calgary, it's so dry that I've pushed to roughly 67-70% hydration, AP/bread flour + vital wheat gluten (I haven't experimented too much with 00 - but when I did, I had to reduce the hydration by a material amount, probably down to 55%).

For 1 pizza I will go:
180gr Flour
20gr Vital Wheat Gluten
140gr water (67-70% hydration)
6gr (3%) salt (this is a bit high compared to the normal recipes, but I've found higher salt has helped my dough)
6gr (3%) sugar
5gr (2.5%) yeast (this is way high compared to normal recipes, but again - this has had the best results for me)
15gr (7.5%) lard/tallow/olive oil - I've used tallow that I have smoked alongside my brisket and the dough smelled incredible prior to cooking, but all of that disappeared after baking sadly

And then depending on the timeline I'll either do an overnight no-knead or counter fermentation. I've pushed up to 5 days in the fridge, but found 3 days ferment in the fridge to be optimal.

Last edited:
Hopefully that wasn't the 'after' shot ;)
I was thinking the same thing. He didn’t need a new grill, just a plate in the hot sun would have got them to that point! We need an after picture with the crust you get on that Blackstone @Kmench

My bean soup was fantastic! 😜
97E03B5F-224A-479F-82C9-D0BFB868535C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have mostly been working with pan pizza dough for ease of use and forgiveness, up where I am in Calgary, it's so dry that I've pushed to roughly 67-70% hydration, AP/bread flour + vital wheat gluten (I haven't experimented too much with 00 - but when I did, I had to reduce the hydration by a material amount, probably down to 55%).

For 1 pizza I will go:
180gr Flour
20gr Vital Wheat Gluten
140gr water (67-70% hydration)
6gr (3%) salt (this is a bit high compared to the normal recipes, but I've found higher salt has helped my dough)
6gr (3%) sugar
5gr (2.5%) yeast (this is way high compared to normal recipes, but again - this has had the best results for me)
15gr (7.5%) lard/tallow/olive oil - I've used tallow that I have smoked alongside my brisket and the dough smelled incredible prior to cooking, but all of that disappeared after baking sadly

And then depending on the timeline I'll either do an overnight no-knead or counter fermentation. I've pushed up to 5 days in the fridge, but found 3 days ferment in the fridge to be optimal.

for two 10" pizzas [two dough balls] I use:
  • 440 gr 00 flour
  • 25 gr/2 tbl vital gluten
  • 279 gr water [60%]
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 pack Red Star Quick Rise [7 gr]
  • 2 tbl olive oil
I also do a 24 - 48 hour counter with up to 3 days cold ferment

pizza pizza!

Does anyone else feel like leftover pulled pork is better than fresh?
I was underwhelmed by the result on Saturday due to some inconsistent done-ness and thought the flavour was lacking a bit after 10hrs (lesson learned - just do it overnight, forget same day cooking).
However, as the week has gone by, the flavours have become more well developed and the added advantage of warming up the leftovers in a frying pan so that additional crispy bits can be formed really makes it more enjoyable to eat in my books.

Does anyone else feel like leftover pulled pork is better than fresh?
I was underwhelmed by the result on Saturday due to some inconsistent done-ness and thought the flavour was lacking a bit after 10hrs (lesson learned - just do it overnight, forget same day cooking).
However, as the week has gone by, the flavours have become more well developed and the added advantage of warming up the leftovers in a frying pan so that additional crispy bits can be formed really makes it more enjoyable to eat in my books.
I agree that the flavor can intensify and be great reheated. We usually make two butts at a time and freeze a bunch in smaller bags with about 1 1/2 pounds each with some of the juice. Reheating is simple: bring a pot to just boiling and turn off heat and put in a bag of frozen meat. A pound or so will thaw and heat perfectly. One time we forgot to turn off heat and melted the bag, so don’t leave it boiling!

I agree that the flavor can intensify and be great reheated. We usually make two butts at a time and freeze a bunch in smaller bags with about 1 1/2 pounds each with some of the juice. Reheating is simple: bring a pot to just boiling and turn off heat and put in a bag of frozen meat. A pound or so will thaw and heat perfectly. One time we forgot to turn off heat and melted the bag, so don’t leave it boiling!
This is my plan for the winter - smoke a buttload and vac seal and then sous vide to thaw/re-heat.

I know Wursthall (Kenji's restaurant) serves their pulled pork sandwiches as seared patties which is something I need to try next.

This is my plan for the winter - smoke a buttload and vac seal and then sous vide to thaw/re-heat.

I know Wursthall (Kenji's restaurant) serves their pulled pork sandwiches as seared patties which is something I need to try next.
We also like to do what you are suggesting with leftovers. We put some taco seasoning on it with a little cilantro and chopped onions and put it in a pan and on the grill to crisp up for some easy pork tacos. The crispy bits are great!

Firs time I’ve ever made wings, glad I waited and used the blackstone. They came out pretty good, need to lower the heat next time.

Attachments

• 249EFD97-6306-4C30-868C-AF68C8CC822D.jpeg
    249EFD97-6306-4C30-868C-AF68C8CC822D.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 14
And so it begins… St. Louis style over the charcoal. Simple salt and pepper.

D53973B2-4ECB-49EC-9781-42F06C03DF29.jpeg

Back