BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Don't know if this fits the BBQ and grilling thread, but my wife just got me something she found at a garage sale this weekend (in addition to the jalapeño bush in another thread). It is a Lodge 10DO 9 quart Dutch oven with spiral handle and lid all in pretty good condition. They were asking $5 but she offered $4 and they accepted. I will give it a good a scrubbing and take my time reseasoning it. I am looking forward to some good stews and fried chicken when it gets a little cooler here.
0599133b7d58c832a907605a77e70b49.jpg
4ebfd07a848235ffa420a1be516ca761.jpg
dafe826a00e916db7026acfb6d055185.jpg
3157432d99540880f25fa48032dba9d9.jpg

I wonder if it’s sacrilege to post salad in a bbq thread? Oh well lol. I did grill the chicken :p
404203E4-CD9C-424C-A074-70F563535523.jpeg

Tried direct grilling a whole salmon last night. Bit of an ugly delicious experiment with lots of learnings. Not sure if it is my favourite way to do a whole fish but might warrant another try.

Tried direct grilling a whole salmon last night. Bit of an ugly delicious experiment with lots of learnings. Not sure if it is my favourite way to do a whole fish but might warrant another try.
Interesting... my buddy really likes to grill whole fish in some sort of spicy Thai recipe... the results are fantastic but these are small fish compared to a whole salmon...

Interesting... my buddy really likes to grill whole fish in some sort of spicy Thai recipe... the results are fantastic but these are small fish compared to a whole salmon...
I really had no idea at all about timing so it was more cooked than I'll typically eat a salmon.
I shredded some for lunch today into a salmon salad sandwich and that was good. I stlll have half a fish's worth of leftovers to go through so we'll see what I come up with next.

@JB I just have to tell you, you were spot on about the Grilla Grills. The Silverbac has been nothing short of awesome in the first few weeks I have had it.

@JB I just have to tell you, you were spot on about the Grilla Grills. The Silverbac has been nothing short of awesome in the first few weeks I have had it.

Thats awesome man. We have really enjoyed ours over the years. The double wall insulation works great at temp control and the cooks are fantastic.

Thats awesome man. We have really enjoyed ours over the years. The double wall insulation works great at temp control and the cooks are fantastic.

I will admit, I was super skeptical about a pellet grill, but I threw a smoke tube in there last weekend, and I would argue it was every bit as smoke-flavored as my stick burner.

The temperature control is incredible, I love not having to babysit my food.

I really had no idea at all about timing so it was more cooked than I'll typically eat a salmon.
I shredded some for lunch today into a salmon salad sandwich and that was good. I still have half a fish's worth of leftovers to go through so we'll see what I come up with next.
I really like to make salmon dip with leftovers. Good on sliced baguette or fancy crackers...

I had grilled waaay to much cod for fish tacos about a month ago and decided to make a fish stew... I got some tips from my chef buddy and it turned out really fantastic. I'm almost afraid to try it again... it seems like it would be tough to improve on. It was funny to see people turn up their nose at the thought of fish stew, then they smelled it, then tried it and everyone liked it.

I really like to make salmon dip with leftovers. Good on sliced baguette or fancy crackers...

I had grilled waaay to much cod for fish tacos about a month ago and decided to make a fish stew... I got some tips from my chef buddy and it turned out really fantastic. I'm almost afraid to try it again... it seems like it would be tough to improve on. It was funny to see people turn up their nose at the thought of fish stew, then they smelled it, then tried it and everyone liked it.
I feel like this is how I am with most things I make. If my first-attempt experiment is a resounding success I never really want to go back and revisit it because then I could be disappointed - forget about seeing if I can improve it.

Got 3 6# pork shoulders trimmed up and seasoned to go on tomorrow evening, planning really low and slow to have them ready for a friend's wife's bday Saturday at 1
20210729_210502.jpg

More than halfway there, and pb burnt ends are on to
20210731_054000.jpg
20210731_082111.jpg

I ended up doing one of them as "west" Carolina (added ketchup to the ACV mix), just need to get some slaw and buns.. think Hawaiin buns will work? And need a BBQ flavor profile to go along with that, any suggestions (ie sweet and spicy, hickory, etc)??

Tow spare ribs and one baby back just got on
3dc2e36f539e9fa6afbc54cec420631b.jpg

Has anyone done a brisket Hot and Fast? Does it taste different than low and slow? What temp usually for the pit for hot and fast?

Yes. I've ran 300*ish more than a few times. Don't pull it at any specific temp - still at probe tender, but I've found they're probe tender at a higher internal temp than cooking lower.

Yes. I've ran 300*ish more than a few times. Don't pull it at any specific temp - still at probe tender, but I've found they're probe tender at a higher internal temp than cooking lower.
Thanks, Yeah I heard maybe more in the 210 range

Some good friends are visiting tonight from Washington State. They are wine aficionados and offered to bring some back for our getogether. My wife really likes Malbecs from Argentina so that's what they are bringing. I decided to make some food and while things I found from Argentina seemed a little harsh (whole roasted goat on a steel cross, like some kind of demonic crucifix) so I branched out to South American BBQ in general.

I have a couple of flank steaks marinading overnight and will be slow cooking some beef short ribs this afternoon. Made a chimichurri to serve with the ribs. Both will finish over charcoal. Found a recipe for roast carrots with arugula & goat cheese. Also baby redskin potatoes with garlic mustard & greens.

Has anyone done a brisket Hot and Fast? Does it taste different than low and slow? What temp usually for the pit for hot and fast?
Cooker used will impact this too. For instance on a Pellet Grill, the higher the temp, normally the less smoke that gets infused.

Yes, but I prefer low and slow. I think if it is cooked on something other than a water smoker, it could dry out pretty quickly if you aren't mopping or spritzing it on a regular basis. Hot spots in your smoker will be more evident cooking at a higher temp.

Last edited:

I have. Gotta say I’m not a big believer in it. I know some of the pro’s win competitions and use that method, but I’ve noticed that it’s not nearly as moist done higher than 220 or so. I am a pink butcher paper guy. Maybe if you foiled it is more likely to not dry out, not sure. But nothing worse than a dried out brisket imho.

Some good friends are visiting tonight from Washington State. They are wine aficionados and offered to bring some back for our getogether. My wife really likes Malbecs from Argentina so that's what they are bringing. I decided to make some food and while things I found from Argentina seemed a little harsh (whole roasted goat on a steel cross, like some kind of demonic crucifix) so I branched out to South American BBQ in general.

I have a couple of flank steaks marinading overnight and will be slow cooking some beef short ribs this afternoon. Made a chimichurri to serve with the ribs. Both will finish over charcoal. Found a recipe for roast carrots with arugula & goat cheese. Also baby redskin potatoes with garlic mustard & greens.

Did an epic dove hunting trip to Argentina a few years ago. The beef there is life changing. We literally had Ribeyes waiting for us as we got off the transport. And they use that open wood fire grilling method that is so amazing.

Did an epic dove hunting trip to Argentina a few years ago. The beef there is life changing. We literally had Ribeyes waiting for us as we got off the transport. And they use that open wood fire grilling method that is so amazing.
That sounds amazing. When I searched Argentina bbq, the whole goat/lamb asado pictures were amazing but a little frightening... I love doing some alternative outdoor cooking especially over a wood fire. Anyways, I wanted to do some beef but not just the normal steaks. Grocery store had some really nice looking flank steaks from Uruguay and some beef ribs that looked to good to pass up. Both the marinade and the chimichurri are oil & vinegar based. The kitchen had some wild smells going at 11pm while put things together.

...and now my buddy texts me he's bringing a piece of ahi tuna for an appetizer!! Oh boy!! :love:

Back