BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Did some wings and boneless thighs last night!

IMG_9032.JPG

IMG_9031.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great. For us, nothing beats reverse sear filets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve spoiled myself so much that I don’t even order steak when we go out to eat. Even a mid-range “steakhouse” doesn’t make a steak as good as I do. Now if only I could golf half as good I can grill a steak. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve spoiled myself so much that I don’t even order steak when we go out to eat. Even a mid-range “steakhouse” doesn’t make a steak as good as I do. Now if only I could golf half as good I can grill a steak. :ROFLMAO:
whenever you decide you want to spend, look into Grill Grates. Not a knock off, but the actual product. Game changer for pellet grill.
With that said I use the Napoleon Sizzle Zone for our reverse sear, but Grill Grates are an absolute game changer.

I have a prime brisket that we are going to smoke Sunday. I am going to smoke some chicken wings and finish them in the air fryer. Its going to be a big time!!

whenever you decide you want to spend, look into Grill Grates. Not a knock off, but the actual product. Game changer for pellet grill.
With that said I use the Napoleon Sizzle Zone for our reverse sear, but Grill Grates are an absolute game changer.

They’re on the list for sure.

I’m new to this area. I’ve recently been debating a treager. Is it worth the money and if not. What other options should i look at?

I’m new to this area. I’ve recently been debating a treager. Is it worth the money and if not. What other options should i look at?

Lots of great stuff in this thread. We have a Traeger. We also have a Grilla and like the Grilla more and it was less money. Pit Boss can be had for much less and works great too.

Traeger’s are popular for a reason, but I’ve seen complaints about them become more common since they were bought out. Honestly there are a lot of brands out there that make a solid product.

I’ve got a pit boss, and while I haven’t had it for long I’m pretty happy with it, especially at the price point I paid for it.

Grilla makes an absolutely fantastic product at a solid mid-range price point ($500-$800) and their new controllers appear to be top notch.

Camp Chef is another brand that gets a lot of love on some pellet grill forums, and they apparently have fantastic customer service.

Personally (and this is just me, and it’s free advice worth no more than you’re paying for it) I never even looked at Traeger. That doesn’t mean they’re a bad product or that I think buying one is a bad choice. They just never made it to my radar. A lot of people love them and absolutely think they’re the bees knees. They definitely make a solid product

I’d take a long hard look at all the options ( I did take a long look actually. :ROFLMAO:) and see what works best for you, at the low end you’re likely looking at spending ~$400, so it’s a purchase that merits some research.

Another thought: I’d buy a good WiFi/Bluetooth thermometer over spending a lot of extra money on a built-in wifi/Bluetooth thermometer, just based on some of the hassles other people have had getting those to work. Plus you have more versatility that way. I use my BT thermometer in my kitchen oven on a regular basis.

Good luck with your search!

Lots of great stuff in this thread. We have a Traeger. We also have a Grilla and like the Grilla more and it was less money. Pit Boss can be had for much less and works great too.

I went with the Pitt Boss. It is a quality grill at a great price with lots of features. It is single wall construction that may not be ideal for cold weather cooks.

I went with the Pitt Boss. It is a quality grill at a great price with lots of features. It is single wall construction that may not be ideal for cold weather cooks.

Same reason I went with a Pit Boss. The price:quality ratio was pretty great.

Researching a pellet grill purchase for the spring. I've currently landed on the Rec Tec RT-700. I've looked through the line of Traeger's, Grilla's, and Rec Tec's, and have been most impressed with the Rec Tec. Does anyone on here have a Rec Tec? I did a search and didn't get any hits. In the end, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

Researching a pellet grill purchase for the spring. I've currently landed on the Rec Tec RT-700. I've looked through the line of Traeger's, Grilla's, and Rec Tec's, and have been most impressed with the Rec Tec. Does anyone on here have a Rec Tec? I did a search and didn't get any hits. In the end, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

I don’t own one, but I’ve heard a lot of great things about them.

Put a prime brisket on the pit boss at 9pm last night. Its at 175 right now. I am going to smoke some chicken wings and finish them off in the air fryer. Stuffed mushrooms and all the fixins, Its going to be a great day of food and football.

The weather is finally not unbearably hot out so I think we will grill all week this week. I have also eaten a lot of pizza recently and may not fit into my work pants for next week, so I am thinking fish and chicken. Keeping it healthy this week.

I’m a big fan of brisket lately but too lazy to make it myself. There’s an award winning place near the in laws so every time we visit we stop and eat enough to last a week. Wish it was closer, but the wallet and waistline would suffer greatly. Probably should give it a shot one of these days. Grilling weather is rapidly coming to a close though here.

I have a 3 year old Rec Tec 340. I got it over the other brands because of the PID controller. It still functions great but I might get a newer one next year maybe a little larger because this was the smallest one they had. I know a couple of guys who have a Traeger and a Grilla and they lover theirs. I have grill grates but don't use them as much as I should since I have a infrared grill next to the smoker and use it to sear meats and do steaks. I need to use those grates more often!

Just get one of the smoker blankets and problem solved. That's what I do at the hunting camp and it works awesome. Smoked in temps in the teens and didn't add much time to the cook.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I have a 3 year old Rec Tec 340. I got it over the other brands because of the PID controller. It still functions great but I might get a newer one next year maybe a little larger because this was the smallest one they had. I know a couple of guys who have a Traeger and a Grilla and they lover theirs. I have grill grates but don't use them as much as I should since I have a infrared grill next to the smoker and use it to sear meats and do steaks. I need to use those grates more often!
Great point, the PID Controller is critical, shopped them all before I pulled the trigger 3.5 yrs ago, pellet pooper hard to beat for the convenience, lot of good choices out there.

I've had a Rectec 680 for almost 4 years, just love it. I use a Fireboard thermometer and that's worked great also.

Had an rt 700 for the past two years. DOnt regret it one bit. In an ideal world, i would have a gas grill for searing as well. Grill grates make it serviceable, but temp maxes at about 550. Still better than comparable or cheaper pellet grills from what i read.

Multiple kinds of sausage on the Napoleon.

A479B6A7-AFF3-4DED-9981-4657400D4518.jpeg

Figured it was a good day for prime rib

Attachments

• 002B692B-71AA-4B61-9593-CA0CCA46F794.jpeg
    002B692B-71AA-4B61-9593-CA0CCA46F794.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Pulling it at 120. Wrapping and putting in ice. Then going to cut tomorrow a sear

Attachments

• DE50FCF4-6D20-4A54-A138-10BA9668072B.jpeg
    DE50FCF4-6D20-4A54-A138-10BA9668072B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Back