BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Tell me more. I need a grill. Was originally going to go pellet grill so I can smoke. But for normal day in day out stuff it's probably more feasible to go gas grill. If I do that, I can always go gas smoker on the side.

That’s the setup I currently have: gas grill and a vertical propane smoker. It works, but has some limitations. It’s pretty small, so I couldn’t fit a full packer brisket or anything. Additionally, it is a little inconsistent for temperatures. Certainly not a set it and forget it type as it get affected by the weather and wind quite a bit. On cold days, I frequently can’t get it much hotter than 225-250. Once I get it dialed in it is pretty good, but it varies on the day. I’m sure different units might give a different experience though. Mine also burns through wood chunks pretty quickly. This doesn’t affect the temperature much, but obviously I want the smoke flavor! I have to add wood every hour or two.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions! Depending on how often you plan to use it or what you’re using it for, it definitely works and I’ve put out some awesome food. I’m planning to move to a pellet grill at some point though.

Just bought a pig yesterday. Should have a lot of options for experimenting on the grills this summer!

It’s been a good couple of days with the BBQ’s. Reversed seared fillets with the smoker and searing station and Pizza with the Napoleon barbecue. I’ve tried both the smoker and BBQ on pizza and prefer the BBQ since it gets 250* hotter...

F0EC2DBB-5E13-4E9A-869E-EC96D09A37AA.jpegFBC9CA4A-107E-4234-BA9D-2E0F6408B5DD.jpeg

Last edited:
6BCCF893-1418-4733-A367-4F1D4EDA5D37.png
Brisket is in the stall.

Wife wanted Salmon and Cajun shrimp for dinner tonight... Wish me luck...

Just bought a pig yesterday. Should have a lot of options for experimenting on the grills this summer!

I did the same and 1/2 a beef as well. Price per pound really comes out in your favor if you have the space and upfront money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same and 1/2 a beef as well. Price per pound really comes out in your favor if you have the space and upfront money.

We split 1/2 a steer with some friends last fall. We're going through it a lot faster than we thought we would, just the 2 of us. It's such a bargain and SO DAMN DELICIOUS.

I saw one online and watched a video. Seem to hit a lot of buttons for me, but not sure. Need to see one in the wild first.
I have been eyeing a pellet grill for a while but these check a lot of boxes and the price isn’t bad either

I have been eyeing a pellet grill for a while but these check a lot of boxes and the price isn’t bad either
You have me intrigued too. I have a ceramic Kamado (egg style) grill and do a lot of cooking and smoking on it with lump coal. This could take over a lot of the smoking applications..

I have a electronic fan for my Smokey mountain. It works okay. This would definitely be an advancement. My green mountain crapped out last night. I haven’t figured out if it died or if I just need to replace the hopper. If it died this will be high on the list of replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_20200510_174026.jpg
Wife was pleased!

IMG_20200512_181558.jpg

Second run at smoked ribeyes. Small casualty with one of them.

Shortages in beef have limited my steak grilling. Pork and chicken seem to be in good supply. I grabbed some baby back pork ribs and ribeye steaks for future smoking and grilling.

I smoked a pork butt last night. I have to say I was so disappointed. The meat had very little flavor and the internal fat didn’t really render leaving it very gristly. I know it was the cut of meat - I picked it up from the grocery store instead of the butcher and even before running it down with spices I could tell that it was a sub par cut.

I will still eat it, but will require some sauce for sure.
08131FBE-2D9B-4D7D-AB9D-90F93EF0CFCF.jpeg

I smoked a pork butt last night. I have to say I was so disappointed. The meat had very little flavor and the internal fat didn’t really render leaving it very gristly. I know it was the cut of meat - I picked it up from the grocery store instead of the butcher and even before running it down with spices I could tell that it was a sub par cut.

I will still eat it, but will require some sauce for sure.
View attachment 8943368
Here something I've followed and modified it to my taste and have been very successful with it regardless of the quality of the meat. They obviously suggested certain rubs and sauces which you can follow, I don't, but the suggestion on trimming and injection is spot on.

I don’t think I’m ever going to make bacon again any other way than on my Grilla.

Anyone gone in with others on getting a steer butchered? I'm looking at a 1/8 share for around $480.

Anyone gone in with others on getting a steer butchered? I'm looking at a 1/8 share for around $480.
We split a full with my in-laws. Think we paid 3 something a pound for a full half.

Back