BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

2 people. 2 rack of back ribs. Because symmetry.

Tossing these on the BGE with a bit of yellow mustard and a storebought rub I haven't seen or tried before ('Famous Dave's Rib Rub'). The packaging says to 'Use it on everything' so I just brushed my teeth with it (can't recommend - but am hopeful it'll be good on the pork :)). Just using a smaller chunk of cherry wood because I don't like overwhelming smoke on my meat, but a little is magical.

Making a homemade BBQ sauce for it while it smokes.

ribs.jpg

Last edited:
1595116598365.jpeg
Gyro Pizza on the BBQ

Any thoughts on thermoworks mk4? Or other probe?
Get one - there really isn't anything close in a similar price range. I've had my original thermapen for 10 years with no issues and the MK4 is better. I haven’t used the original since the MK4 came out a few years ago.

Last edited:
MK4, best around.

Home remodel incl. kitchen so we are living on the ground floor. Made the extra bathroom the kitchen, but 1st time I tried the Ninja 5 in 1, it tripped the circuit so now I'm using the Ninja outside (does that count?). Tonight air fried cauliflower, fries and a whole chicken.

Brisket turned out great today
5DE50514-FF1F-4D1B-880F-F2E856F13C8F.jpeg

Need more grillin practice. Very impressive you guys! (y)
My flank steaks looked a little iffy a day past the sell by date. Damn. wtf?? Chicken breasts it was. Oven baked red potatoes with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper on a well buttered cookie sheet, and steamed green beans. Tito's/sierra mist with lime whilst grillin. Hagens Daaz with maple syrup and crunchies. Fullness achieved. Now the cleanup. (n) Bless the grill for saving a few pans. :cool: Trying to keep weight on. The grill helps!

View attachment 8955148

First tri tip tonight. Fun, easy little cut.
That looks amazing! What did you use for the coating? I love tri-tip because it is always reasonably tender, is nearly impossible to overcook because it's a chunky piece of beef, and it has great flavor. I'm fortunate that my local grocery has a great meat department and butchers on duty and I've never had a problem finding it. Not sure why it's not more available in groceries.

That looks amazing! What did you use for the coating? I love tri-tip because it is always reasonably tender, is nearly impossible to overcook because it's a chunky piece of beef, and it has great flavor. I'm fortunate that my local grocery has a great meat department and butchers on duty and I've never had a problem finding it. Not sure why it's not more available in groceries.

just some meat church holy cow seasoning.

It was an all outside cooking weekend for us... Grilled some flatbread pizzas I picked up at the grocery store for $2.49 each on Friday night. A margherita and a chicken & ranch. Both were excellent. They called for 8-10 minutes at 400. Grill was a little hot at 450 and I let them go about a minute too long at 9 minutes. still pretty tasty.

Friday night I dry rubbed a 6lb pork shoulder with Bad Byron's Butt Rub and got it on lump charcoal on a basic Weber kettle grill at 7:30am with some pecan wood chips. About 7 hours later I took it off and dropped it in a crock pot to take over to our friend's for pool/cookout. I made some salsa with tomatoes & peppers from their garden. One tabasco & one salsa. The tabasco pepper was rather spicy. The salsa pepper not so much heat but good flavor. My wife picked up 2 dozen ears of fresh picked sweet corn (as in that morning) at the Farmer's Market. We soaked them in the husk and grilled them on the gas grill. A nice new pair of leather gloves makes easy work out of taking the husks off while its still piping hot. This was the first weekend it was available, unless you knew someone who had some early ears... :censored:

Sunday we went back to the pool around 1pm and started the charcoal chimney for my friend's kettle grill out there around 3pm. Played a game of badminton (undefeated in 2020) and the coals were glowing red. Had 5 lbs of chicken legs (88 cents/lb) that had been marinating in Stubb's Citrus & Onion. Added some Mango Magic seasoning when they went on the grill and some Jack Daniel's whiskey barrel wood chips. Hopped back in the pool and kinda forgot about the legs. Luckily when I did remember them, about an hour later and went to check on them they were a nice smoky brown. Turned them over and put the corn on the grill which had been soaking in water a couple hours. The legs were done about 30 minutes later. Hit them with some finishing sauce and they were quit tasty.

Nice hot sunny day in the pool and some outdoor cooking made for a pretty wonderful weekend.

Last edited:
I just picked this up for our motor home. Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett. I really wanted the Grilla Chimp or RecTec RT 340 but they are 24” high and my basement storage opening is 25”. It was too close to chance blowing $600 plus on. The Davy will get a test next week while camping at the coast with brisket and ribs so hopefully it does well.

I am impressed by the features like WiFi etc for the $300 price point. It is smaller with only 219 inches of cooking area but I should still be able to do a 12-15 lb brisket and 2 racks of ribs.... I hope.

0edeac28a92e0b48522e19b5d11a126f.jpg

Smoked 3 butts and a brisket overnight at 200° on the Recteq 700/Bull

They're at 160° this morning, just where I wanted them. Should be done around noon-1, then into the cooler til we eat at 4

B846D093-D048-48A4-8140-D82AFC498B4C.jpeg

Last edited:
so long but interesting story involving BBQ and in-laws...

My Father-in-Law (my wife's step father) Is a very Kind and patient man. I have watched him, over the 15 years ive known him, routinely and without hesitation or complaint put the needs and wants of his wife and family over his own.

His wife (My mother-in-law) is also a very kind person but definitely wears the pants in the relationship and often takes her order giving too far with this poor saint of a man.

I have made it my mission in life to give this guy a little more support and appreciation in life. I will often ask what he wants to do and if he gives the slightest hint of an interest in anything, I try hard to give him the opportunity to experience or do what he wants vs. what his wife thinks is best. Now I dont do this with intent to drive a wedge in the family, just subtle ways to give him more of a voice.

Anyways, recently, he expressed an interest in learning how to bbq on a ceramic egg/kamado style cooker. When he brought it up with the family, his wife immediately dismissed it and said he doesnt need one of those things. they are very well taken care of and can certainly afford one so this is not a money issue.

I took to the internet to research some ceramic bbq's hoping I might find one I could afford to buy for him. WOW these things are expensive!!! The cheapest one I could find was $400 and did not look like a good option at all. I settled on the Grilla Kong model ($800) and sent it to all the siblings asking if they would be willing to pitch in and buy this for their dad/step-dad. All responded with a no. All of my wife's siblings earn income equal to or above what we earn and no one is struggling financially.

It makes me sad that this man cant enjoy his own hobbies and interests. I still havent given up though. I may save up for a couple months and buy the thing anyways.

Big ole 15 lb’er going on tonight! Feeding the whole fam and in-laws and I’m excited! Got my peach paper for this one instead of the ole Texas crutch :ROFLMAO:

Got an air fryer last weekend. Those that do a smoker/fryer wing process give me the 411!

This looks super interesting and tempting, figure this is the crowd for it.. chefs table season 2, all about BBQ!! :love:

Back